Sprint has announced that it's 4g LTE is now live in 4 more cities. They are:

• Baltimore, MD
  • Gainesville, GA
  • Sedalia, MO
  • Manhattan/Junction City, KS

Here's the release:

http://finance.yahoo...-130000523.html

Also from the release:

Sprint customers in Baltimore, Boston and Washington, D.C., are beginning to enjoy the benefits of Sprint’s all-new 3G service – which is expected to deliver an exceptionally clear signal, better in-building coverage and fewer dropped/blocked calls.

and

As consumers all over the country are becoming more dependent on their smartphones, network quality is becoming more important. In addition to Baltimore, Sprint is aggressively improving the 3G experience city by city. Today, customers in Boston and Washington, D.C., should also notice improved 3G cell coverage, reduced roaming and faster data speeds. The work to build Sprint’s all-new network will continue in other markets across the country. Sherman-Dennison, Texas, is expected to see 4G LTE service in the weeks ahead.

Does this refer the standard NV upgrades or to 800mhz as well? Interesting that it was specifically mentioned in the release.

Edit: Totally missed that Sherman-Dennison, TX was dropped in there as the next 4G city.

• Like 2

Sprint has announced that it's 4g LTE is now live in 4 more cities. They are:

• Baltimore, MD
  • Gainesville, GA
  • Sedalia, MO
  • Manhattan/Junction City, KS

Here's the release:

http://finance.yahoo...-130000523.html

Also from the release:

and

Does this refer the standard NV upgrades or to 800mhz as well? Interesting that it was specifically mentioned in the release.

Edit: Totally missed that Sherman-Dennison, TX was dropped in there as the next 4G city.

Sherman-Denison was supposed to be in this launch. They must have hit a hurdle.

Robert

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-319-sprint-announces-that-baltimore-is-now-formally-launched-as-well-as-some-other-communities-in-already-launched-markets/

When they mention 3G improvements, they are talking about improved backhaul for better speeds and improved coverage due to the RRU's providing a small signal increase. When they talk about reduced roaming and better in-building coverage for calls than they are talking about 1x 800mhz. Hopefully that goes active when the LTE does in these markets.

I noticed that the Baltimore announcement was more carefully unhyped, specifically noting that LTE service is available in certain areas and still a work in progress:

In Baltimore, customers will begin to see 4G LTE signals in the Inner Harbor, Fells Point, Federal Hill and Pikesville areas – with more sites being turned on in the days and weeks ahead

Maybe the Sprint marketers are learning some lessons from the overly optimistic expectations created by the first launches in July.

• Like 2

What happened to the September launch for Chicago

Sprint never announced a Chicago launch in September. That September launch was an estimate made by S4GRU based on the schedule progress and Sprint launching at 40% complete. And Sprint has exceeded 40% complete on 3G and closing in on 4G too.

However, I pushed out our estimate of launch to October. Because, the more I think about it, I don't believe Chicago will launch before any sites start to go live inside the loop with LTE. How would Sprint advertise that LTE is now live in the Chicago market without any sites being complete in Chicago proper?

My guess is, they won't. So I have pushed my estimate of market launch out until October. Seems like the wise call at this point.

Robert

At least for me, in Northern Virginia, I see no changes in better 3G. In fact, the speeds have been abysmal for the past week. My office is directly across from a tower and I was roaming almost all of Monday. I hope this means they are actively working that tower but I've seen no movement on the roof it is located on.

• Like 1

At least for me, in Northern Virginia, I see no changes in better 3G. In fact, the speeds have been abysmal for the past week. My office is directly across from a tower and I was roaming almost all of Monday. I hope this means they are actively working that tower but I've seen no movement on the roof it is located on.

If Chicago deployment is any indication, it gets worse and worse and worse, until the day the site is connected to new backhaul...and then...voila! At least DC is an active deployment zone. So you know it is on the way to getting better.

Robert

• Like 3

If Chicago deployment is any indication, it gets worse and worse and worse, until the day the site is connected to new backhaul...and then...voila! At least DC is an active deployment zone. So you know it is on the way to getting better.

Robert

Hopefully not much worse. I was thinking of digging up an old 56.6 us robotics and run contests between that and my phone for the slowest download speeds. Oddly, uploads are still fairly strong and typically outpace download speeds by leaps and bounds.

• Like 1

I'm happy for the 10 Sprint costumers in Sedalia but I wish Sprint would hurry up and launch in cities that matter, like Phoenix!

(Yes I am very bitter)

See this thread

How can LOCATION X get LTE before LOCATION Y?!

and

Any S4GRU member who complains like a diva about Network Vision and/or LTE availability needs to be met each time with this video clip.

"I want it NOW!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ju56c5qX5w

• Like 5