Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

Man I feel out of place all you other people in ohio will get LTE before poor old Toledo, Toledo ant even metioned or talked about lol well guess me and ryry4ya are the only ones in the area, but on another note i hope samsung starts getting these Ohio markets and others started early 2 like other markets

• Like 1

That's if you count metro areas. With just city limits, Columbus population is over twice as big as Cincinnatti and almost twice as big as Cleveland. Metro areas are always a sticky metric because some go out much further than others.

Every time I see this bumped I think that there's actually news about NV in Columbus. :(

I know. That is precisely my point. When looking to cover the greatest amount of population in as little time as possible, you're going to want to logically go with the largest metro areas first. City limits are trivial, political boundaries. They don't mean much in the grand scheme of things when compared against the whole metro area.

Prime example: Atlanta, GA (where I live) vs. Louisville, KY (near where I grew up). We all "know" Atlanta is far larger than Louisville....but, wait, no, it's NOT when you look at city limit sizes alone. Louisville is around 600,000 people at # 27 in the U.S. with Atlanta sitting at # 40 with only 420,000 people. Makes you think..."wait, this can't be right!" Well, that's because Louisville's metro area is around 1.3 million with Atlanta's approaching 6 million. So, yes, the Atlanta area is FAR larger than the Louisville area even though the City of Louisville is (technically) larger than the City of Atlanta by some 33%. So if you wanted to cover the most population possible (in order to logically get the most bang for your buck..er..spectrum, as it were), which metro area would you want to cover first (Louisville or Atlanta)? (and of course this applies to any metro area comparison in any state or states) Think about it.

Any word on upgrades in Ohio yet?

I recently upgraded to an iPhone 5 even though I knew LTE was not going to be available for a while. However, I got used to WiMAX and now have figured out just how slow Sprint's 3G can be. For instance, I just ran speedtest and got 804ms ping, .07 Mbps down and it didn't even register an upload speed. It takes about 15 min for a picture to send if it sends at all. Honestly, I'm not looking to stream high def movies or anything crazy like that, but sending a picture of the kids to the wife shouldn't be too unreasonable.

So I wasn't just interested in LTE but a little 3G love would be great. According to network.sprint.com, the tower that is about 500 yards from my house had a data speed upgrade in the last 6 months. Like I said I know LTE is a ways off but I'm hoping someone knows something is coming soon.

Thanks!

J

I know. That is precisely my point. When looking to cover the greatest amount of population in as little time as possible, you're going to want to logically go with the largest metro areas first. City limits are trivial, political boundaries. They don't mean much in the grand scheme of things when compared against the whole metro area.

Prime example: Atlanta, GA (where I live) vs. Louisville, KY (near where I grew up). We all "know" Atlanta is far larger than Louisville....but, wait, no, it's NOT when you look at city limit sizes alone. Louisville is around 600,000 people at # 27 in the U.S. with Atlanta sitting at # 40 with only 420,000 people. Makes you think..."wait, this can't be right!" Well, that's because Louisville's metro area is around 1.3 million with Atlanta's approaching 6 million. So, yes, the Atlanta area is FAR larger than the Louisville area even though the City of Louisville is (technically) larger than the City of Atlanta by some 33%. So if you wanted to cover the most population possible (in order to logically get the most bang for your buck..er..spectrum, as it were), which metro area would you want to cover first (Louisville or Atlanta)? (and of course this applies to any metro area comparison in any state or states) Think about it.

Fair enough, but I don't know that it only has to do with population. They've done areas around the country that are pretty low in population.

I recently upgraded to an iPhone 5 even though I knew LTE was not going to be available for a while. However, I got used to WiMAX and now have figured out just how slow Sprint's 3G can be. For instance, I just ran speedtest and got 804ms ping, .07 Mbps down and it didn't even register an upload speed. It takes about 15 min for a picture to send if it sends at all. Honestly, I'm not looking to stream high def movies or anything crazy like that, but sending a picture of the kids to the wife shouldn't be too unreasonable.

So I wasn't just interested in LTE but a little 3G love would be great. According to network.sprint.com, the tower that is about 500 yards from my house had a data speed upgrade in the last 6 months. Like I said I know LTE is a ways off but I'm hoping someone knows something is coming soon.

Thanks!

J

Nobody knows when the upgrades are coming for Network Vision, but the ones that are on Sprint's Network site are just normal upgrades, they're not part of NV. I'm in the same boat as you are at work in Gahanna. Though my ping isn't quite that bad. I usually get about 200 ms but download and upload speeds are about the same. I think the main problem is capacity around here, I'm where a bunch of corporate offices are so a lot of people are using data during the day.

Edited by andycapps

I'm not sure how to find that out on my iPhone. Does the speedtest app show it somewhere?

when you do the speed test after your done you need to go to results tab down below by Tools hit the speed test that you had ran and it should say evdo or ehrpd in network

Also you must have an LTE phone in order to see this any other phone will still show up as EVDO

Edited by keelerman8042

when you do the speed test after your done you need to go to results tab down below by Tools hit the speed test that you had ran and it should say evdo or ehrpd in network

Also you must have an LTE phone in order to see this any other phone will still show up as EVDO

I have the iphone 5, but the speedtest app doesn't show details about the network under results. It just shows "Cellular." Big help there! I looked back when I was in Annapolis area a month back and had LTE and it showed the same thing for that.

I have the iphone 5, but the speedtest app doesn't show details about the network under results. It just shows "Cellular." Big help there! I looked back when I was in Annapolis area a month back and had LTE and it showed the same thing for that.

Have you ever gone into the Field Test screens and see if it shows eHRPD or LTE? From what I have read, it might show up there

I live on the far west side of Columbus (I-270 & Broad St).

Tests this morning with 2 - 3 bars of service were as follows:

3G - Ping = 283ms, Down = 84k, Up = 8k

4G - Ping = 72ms, Down = 5580k, Up = 1450k

4G is OK (not great) but these 3G speeds are just about useless. I will be elegible for an upgrade the 1st of December and my contract is up a few months after that. If I don't see a NV plan for Central Ohio by that time I may very well leave Sprint after 14 years. I just can't see getting an LTE phone when they can't even tell me when LTE will be available in my area. And saying that everything will be done in the next few years just doesn't cut it with me.

The only time I have many problems with any of it is when I'm inside buildings (like everyone else).

Outdoors and near windows it usually works pretty good.

Sprint just doesn't get that building penetration.

Just ran speedTest again in the 3G mode, all to the same host on Sunday morning at about 9:15AM which I should think would be a very slow time for network traffic. I am located within 1 mile of the tower.

3G in my house at my desk w/ 2 bars - Ping = 283ms, Down = 84k, Up = 43k

3G outdoors on my patio w/ 3 bars - Ping = 97ms, Down = 180k, Up = 58k

4G in my house at my desk w/ 2 bars - Ping = 110ms, Down = 4998k, Up = 1471k

4G outdoors on my patio w/ 3 bars - Ping = 111ms, Down = 5296k, Up = 1512k

4G isn't bad but if I upgrade my phone to an LTE device I will have to rely on the 3G for another year.

Going to be a tough choice. My Epic 4G (SPH-D700) is still working great and it still gets great support form the Developers, but like most people I want a new toy to play with.

Edited by Machque

The only time I have many problems with any of it is when I'm inside buildings (like everyone else).

Just ran speedTest again in the 3G mode' date=' all to the same host on Sunday morning at about 9:15AM which I should think would be a very slow time for network traffic. I am located within 1 mile of the tower.

4G isn't bad but if I upgrade my phone to an LTE device I will have to rely on the 3G for another year.

Going to be a tough choice. My Epic 4G (SPH-D700) is still working great and it still gets great support form the Developers, but like most people I want a new toy to play with.[/quote']

You could get a WiMax hotspot to help tie you over if you need to upgrade now. Otherwise, I would definitely wait on upgrading to a LTE device in your instance.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I recall when Columbus didn't even register on the roll-out schedule for Sprint 4G WiMax but out of nowhere it was up and running downtown and at least the the Schrock Rd tower. I'm hoping LTE will show up like that, because I am about 5 minutes from making a decision to buy an LTE phone and do NOT want to give up the 4G WiMax speeds for too long (and find it complete BS that they have neglected or deliberately nerfed the 3G speeds to virtually unusable).

PS: Also, about population sizes, there might be more advantage to going with the 'less poplated' Columbus if they find the demographic/market to be more fitting to whatever longer term goals they have (shrug)

This is not just adding LTE. Network Vision is a complete network overhaul. Replacing every single piece of hardware in the Sprint network, including upgrading backhaul.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 1

This is not just adding LTE. Network Vision is a complete network overhaul. Replacing every single piece of hardware in the Sprint network, including upgrading backhaul.

Yes and we're all very excited, I check this thread for updates daily... Can't wait for the first tower, going to map the *#@d out of Columbus with Sensorly.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I keep coming back to the Network Running List every day to see if it's been updated with Columbus being on there.

I would map out everything on Sensorly when LTE comes but they don't have that functionality on iOS.

Just ran speedTest again in the 3G mode, all to the same host on Sunday morning at about 9:15AM which I should think would be a very slow time for network traffic. I am located within 1 mile of the tower.

Going to be a tough choice. My Epic 4G (SPH-D700) is still working great and it still gets great support form the Developers, but like most people I want a new toy to play with.

Thanks!

J

I've been seeing horrible 3G speeds on my iPhone 5 - LTE couldn't come fast enough. However, it does look like there is a known Sprint network issue with the iPhone 5, as documented in this discussion thread at the sprint user community. Hopefully resolution of this ticket will see better 3G support. My wife's 4S works better on 3G than my 5!

http://community.spr...aw/thread/99267

Edited by drewsonian

I've been seeing horrible 3G speeds on my iPhone 5 - LTE couldn't come fast enough. However, it does look like there is a known Sprint network issue with the iPhone 5, as documented in this discussion thread at the sprint user community. Hopefully resolution of this ticket will see better 3G support. My wife's 4S works better on 3G than my 5!

http://community.spr...aw/thread/99267

I assume you installed the update that was released a couple weeks ago? Mine works as well as my wife's 4S. It still is slow on 3G but that's just how it is in Columbus.

I assume you installed the update that was released a couple weeks ago? Mine works as well as my wife's 4S. It still is slow on 3G but that's just how it is in Columbus.

Yep, I'm on the latest version, but I'm also on the outskirts of town, so Sprint service isn't as good because of my location. But I still have issues downtown which used to be just fine on my nexus s.

They can't tell on their iPhones since they can't receive WiMax.

On my Epic 4G the signal on WiMax may be just a hair better than 3G, but not much.

The building penetration is still pretty poor. I loose about 1 bar on either one when I go inside the house.

The current 3G speeds are pretty bad but the 4G does decent.

I live on the far west side of Columbus near Doctors Hospital, a little less than a mile from the tower.