Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I wish Toledo,OH was NYC :(

Evo

I wouldn't have too much envy, as much of NYC is in the same boat. Sme areas have abysmal 3G speeds ( even though others are great in the city), and we don't have imminent LTE. All we have are rumors of a October or November possible prelaunch, with no confirmation from Sprint. I'm so desperate that I scout for towers and towers being worked on a daily basis.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have too much envy' date=' as much of NYC is in the same boat. Sme areas have abysmal 3G speeds ( even though others are great in the city), and we don't have imminent LTE. All we have are rumors of a October or November possible prelaunch, with no confirmation from Sprint. I'm so desperate that I scout for towers and towers being worked on a daily basis.[/quote']

If you were a sponsor you would see the completed sites map that is updated weekly so you could monitor the progress. Also Sprint has officially put NYC on its next 100 cities list which shows all the markets that ate supposed to launch before the end of the year.

Much more than rumors around here.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Being in the columbus circle area, I have noticed an improvement in the 3G speeds. I had speeds of about 1.59megs. What is sad, is that it was faster than my school WiFi.

Any word on LTE in New York? I cant wait until the day it just pops up on my phone. Im going to poop with happinesspost-5512-0-26944400-1348667237_thumb.png

If you were a sponsor you would see the completed sites map that is updated weekly so you could monitor the progress. Also Sprint has officially put NYC on its next 100 cities list which shows all the markets that ate supposed to launch before the end of the year.

Much more than rumors around here.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Ok Robert. I'll look into that. This site has been an invaluable resource. Without it, we'd all be in the dark since Sprint has been holding their cards pretty close to the chest. Like most of us, I'm impatient and as a New Yorker, I feel that Sprint should prioritize one of their largest markets, even though I know better.

Ok Robert. I'll look into that. This site has been an invaluable resource. Without it' date=' we'd all be in the dark since Sprint has been holding their cards pretty close to the chest. Like most of us, I'm impatient and as a New Yorker, I feel that Sprint should prioritize one of their largest markets, even though I know better.[/quote']

I agree that New York should be a priority. And in many ways it is. It is a Round One market. It started very early in Network Vision. But the market is so large with the most amount of towers. And it is extremely dense. Most sites in NYC cover such a small area. That when even a few hundred sites are complete, that the coverage from them is kind of underwhelming and the customers don't notice much. Its still going strong. But I think it will be the end of the year before New Yorkers really start feeling the improvements on a larger scale.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 2

They need to pick up the pace like they did in Chicago.

Chicago had close to 100 sites completed every week for months leading up to the launch of the market.

I think year end is being very optimistic. At this pace (10 non LTE sites a week) I don't see LTE being lauched before the spring 2013 here in NY

They need to pick up the pace like they did in Chicago.

Chicago had close to 100 sites completed every week for months leading up to the launch of the market.

I think year end is being very optimistic. At this pace (10 non LTE sites a week) I don't see LTE being lauched before the spring 2013 here in NY

Chicago has yet to launch. The only thing that has occurred there is that they are no longer blocking access to every completed site.

Chicago has yet to launch. The only thing that has occurred there is that they are no longer blocking access to every completed site.

Yeah your right, I had to go back and read the article on engadget.

I wonder why they did it this way.

Coverage too sparse to call it a launch but wanted customers to see work is being done to alleviate the poor state of their network maybe?

Yeah your right, I had to go back and read the article on engadget.

I wonder why they did it this way.

Coverage too sparse to call it a launch but wanted customers to see work is being done to alleviate the poor state of their network maybe?

They have a ton of sites that have been upgraded, but none in the city. If Sprint officially launched the "Chicago" market, the actual city of Chicago would have no LTE and everyone would scream that Sprint is awful.

• Like 1

I don't know the actual number of completed lte sites in NYC, but I'm hopeful that Sprint will have some live lte sites in NYC by November. Even if the coverage is spotty.

According to the sponsor maps there are less than 10 LTE sites in the NYC market as of last sunday, only 1 of those are in the 5 boros.

According to the sponsor maps there are less than 10 LTE sites in the NYC market as of last sunday' date=' only 1 of those are in the 5 boros.[/quote']

Number 1...you cannot discuss in public forums information in Sponsor sections.

Number 2...the 10 LTE sites are the only ones accepted as complete from Sprint from the OEMs. But there are over 100 sites complete in the market including the boroughs with 3G improvements accepted. Those sites where 3G is complete also have all the 4G hardware installed too. Its just that the 4G LTE is not ready yet at these locations.

We have seen 100's of sites in Boston, Chicago and Baltimore convert from 3G only to 3G/4G on our NV Sites complete map. In fact, in Chicago, over 20 sites did that last week alone. And it will soon happen in NYC too.

Number 1...you cannot discuss in public forums information in Sponsor sections.

Number 2...the 10 LTE sites are the only ones accepted as complete from Sprint from the OEMs. But there are over 100 sites complete in the market including the boroughs with 3G improvements accepted. Those sites where 3G is complete also have all the 4G hardware installed too. Its just that the 4G LTE is not ready yet at these locations.

We have seen 100's of sites in Boston, Chicago and Baltimore convert from 3G only to 3G/4G on our NV Sites complete map. In fact, in Chicago, over 20 sites did that last week alone. And it will soon happen in NYC too.

Didn't know discussing info in the sponsor sections were taboo.

I almost posted a screen shot of the map, good thing I didn't huh!

• Like 2

Just wanted to say that I finished a full week in Manhattan (Chinatown mainly) and I regret a bit not switching back to my WiMAX phone. I was switching between a T-Mobile USB stick and Sprint 3G as my primary internet connection for surfing and some Skype.

I was pretty impressed with 3G. I don't recall the exact speeds in the past (since I had always been on WiMAX), but this week, I was able to pull 1-1.7Mbps around the clock. During peak hours, I've seen it drop to around 600-700Kbps, but pick back up within a few minutes. I hope I'm not just talking crazy, but it seems like backhaul may have increased on these towers (NV). Even during peak hours the speeds generally stayed over 50% of maximum.

I am constantly getting eHRPD in my neighborhood now' date=' could that mean that they are blocking LTE connections.[/quote']

They could be. But it is not necessarily indicative of that.

They could be. But it is not necessarily indicative of that.

Thanks. I am actually get eHRPD all over Flatlands, Flatbush, and Canarsie now. It is insane. As far as I can tell, up to a few weeks ago, most of these towers have been Evdo only.

One more question and then I am done, I swear! When these towers are being upgraded does network performance go down? On all of these eHRPD towers I used to get pings in the low one hundreds and even lower. Now I am getting pings in the 400's and 500's and speeds more similar to 1x than Evdo.