Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

CLRkMDI.jpg?1SKoBmrO.jpg?1

The DAS in the new section of Penn Station this was at 4:30 on Friday. wasn't crazy packed but still crowded. Really wish the rest of the station didn't have only 3G

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mirskyc said:

The DAS in the new section of Penn Station this was at 4:30 on Friday. wasn't crazy packed but still crowded. Really wish the rest of the station didn't have only 3G

Getting over 200Mbps from a DAS means you probably experienced 256QAM too. Given you're using a Galaxy device, you can check by going into the debug menu through the dialer, then the LTE menu, and scrolling all the way down. During an active data session, it'll tell you whether you're using 16, 64, or 256QAM.

5 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

Getting over 200Mbps from a DAS means you probably experienced 256QAM too. Given you're using a Galaxy device, you can check by going into the debug menu through the dialer, then the LTE menu, and scrolling all the way down. During an active data session, it'll tell you whether you're using 16, 64, or 256QAM.

I'll have to check. My track got called right after that speed test so I didn't have time to test. Since its only 2xCA with 64QAM I almost hit max speed. which I think is around 238Mbps if I remember correctly 

8 hours ago, mirskyc said:

Are you certain that is a DAS? GCI would suggest a mini-macro/small cell.

7 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Are you certain that is a DAS? GCI would suggest a mini-macro/small cell.

Its an underground train station that opened around June 2017. I guess it could be a MM or SC but in all my experiences DAS systems show up as MM on SCP. That how it is in JFK and LGA airport. 

edit: its the west end concourse of penn station. 

1 minute ago, mirskyc said:

Its an underground train station that opened around June 2017. I guess it could be a MM or SC but in all my experiences DAS systems show up as MM on SCP. That how it is in JFK and LGA airport. 

Interesting. I have not seen that on DAS before, but I have never been to the New York market before!

5 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Interesting. I have not seen that on DAS before, but I have never been to the New York market before!

I found this but doesn't confirm if its a DAS or not. Just that LTE is live in that section. AS far as them trying to negotiate to get LTE live every where in the station it still hasn't happened. But its still only been 11 months since Craig-s said that and he mention it taking a year. 

4 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

forgot to include the link lol

I have a sneaking suspicion that 256QAM is live in many places. I've been noticing some places where my speeds are improved by quite a bit. But when I go into the Engineering screen to confirm it displays ":NONE". Every time I see NONE next to MODULATION (While in a super high speed data sessions), it seems that the device is having issues displaying 256QAM. 

15 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that 256QAM is live in many places. I've been noticing some places where my speeds are improved by quite a bit. But when I go into the Engineering screen to confirm it displays ":NONE". Every time I see NONE next to MODULATION (While in a super high speed data sessions), it seems that the device is having issues displaying 256QAM. 

I've also noticed that. But I also have this issue where the debug screen wont stay scrolled down even if u hold it. It just bounces to the top and I can't see modulation anymore 

I've also noticed that. But I also have this issue where the debug screen wont stay scrolled down even if u hold it. It just bounces to the top and I can't see modulation anymore 

Yup, it happens on mine too. I just have to keep scrolling down over and over again.

But I also have this issue where the debug screen wont stay scrolled down even if u hold it. It just bounces to the top and I can't see modulation anymore 

I believe this is a bug of it refreshing..

Man this is what I wanted! Always connected laptop! Too bad I already purchased a much more powerful Surface Pro..But regardless nice to see Sprint performing GREAT in NYC using one of these badboys! The future is looking sweet on the laptop Front!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

So for Sprint's deployment of Massive MIMO in NYC we already know it's initially going to cover all of Manhattan. Do you think Sprint will use the 8T8R antennas that they take down to replace Clearwire equipment in the outer boroughs? That's what I'm hoping for honestly. We haven't come across many, if any, Clearwire equipment replacements in the NYC market.

2 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

So for Sprint's deployment of Massive MIMO in NYC we already know it's initially going to cover all of Manhattan. Do you think Sprint will use the 8T8R antennas that they take down to replace Clearwire equipment in the outer boroughs? That's what I'm hoping for honestly. We haven't come across many, if any, Clearwire equipment replacements in the NYC market.

There is still a ton of Clear Equipment in Manhattan. I was hoping those would be the first to get Massive MIMO. The location of Clear equipment is from the WiMax days and they most likely targeted higher usage areas with WiMax first. So thats my thought behind that. 

My entire walk from 33rd st and 7th Ave to 33rd and Park Ave I never see Sprint B41 only Clear. 

We missed this news last month but Altice CEO had this to say about progress on their MVNO set to launch next year.

"In terms of where we are on the Sprint, let's call it densification of their network side--we’re probably ahead of where we thought we would be relative to when we signed the MVNO agreement. I think there's a tremendous amount of goodwill amongst ourselves and our colleagues over at Sprint to deliver the best and most dense network that we can before we launch, let alone helping our friends over at Sprint to deliver a better product to their existing customers. So I would say we’re ahead on our densification, significantly improving our Wi-Fi capabilities for the offload."

Source

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how this flew under the radar, but this is pretty awesome..

And this looks to be the first 5G device for Sprint! 

http://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-and-nxm-labs-launch-first-5g-ready-connected-car-platform-featuring-iot-blockchain-security.htm

I'm happy to see Sprint finally hitting the IOT market. Hopefully we'll see smartwatch's and other devices support 5G right out of the gate.

Gear S4?! Maybe!?

1 minute ago, nexgencpu said:

First Massive MIMO in NYC..

Skip to .58 seconds for those details..

Maybe someone can pinpoint where in NY that picture was taken. 

Definitely not in Manhattan. That's super low rise and reminds me of far out areas in Queens and Brooklyn. My guess is Queens.

3 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

Definitely not in Manhattan. That's super low rise and reminds me of far out areas in Queens and Brooklyn. My guess is Queens.

Most definitely not anywhere in Manhattan. 

I recall reading or hearing that the plan was to cover all of Manhattan with Massive MIMO first. Possible just testing is taking place in Queens or Brooklyn. 

Anyone know who this COW belongs to? It was put up yesterday on the corner of 33rd St and 5th Ave, right across the street from the Empire State Building. Its facing south. I couldn't find any up coming events in the area that it could be added capacity for. 

72MYHHR.jpg

XCWf1j7.jpg

• Like 1