Jump to content
Ace41690

Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Altice is hitting 400mbps/40mbps in most areas for residential service, not sure if thats the max for business use as well but its 100% better than LTE relay

 

Is it safe to assume that all the former Clear Small Cells in NYC are currently being run off fiber or a wired connection. Was there such a thing as WiMax relay or the equipment for it back then? I would think LTE relay small cells are the ones that were added later on it allowed them to get them running quicker, not having to wait for fiber to be ran. 

All clear conversions have wired backhaul. The only sites that have UE Relay are all newly added sites. This also explains the speed they were able to deploy these new sites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Altice is hitting 400mbps/40mbps in most areas for residential service, not sure if thats the max for business use as well but its 100% better than LTE relay
 
Is it safe to assume that all the former Clear Small Cells in NYC are currently being run off fiber or a wired connection. Was there such a thing as WiMax relay or the equipment for it back then? I would think LTE relay small cells are the ones that were added later on it allowed them to get them running quicker, not having to wait for fiber to be ran. 
Yes, all the converted wimax sites should be fiber or Ethernet fed. The relay sites are likely new builds.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just hit up a small cell that had relay backhaul now hitting over 60mbs..ping leads me to believe it's Docsis (40-70ms) but very happy with speeds previously were 5-10mbs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

has anyone else ever come across this. this is the second time i've seen it. both times i was at a job site so i couldn't really focus on my phone. not sure if its just a SCP mistake .

 

 

 wBGmx6T.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nexgencpu said:

Just hit up a small cell that had relay backhaul now hitting over 60mbs..ping leads me to believe it's Docsis (40-70ms) but very happy with speeds previously were 5-10mbs.

what borough? curious if this was the result of the altice agreement. it just seems pretty quick to happen, unless it was already in the planing stages

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
has anyone else ever come across this. this is the second time i've seen it. both times i was at a job site so i couldn't really focus on my phone. not sure if its just a SCP mistake .
 
 
 wBGmx6T.png
Not a mistake. It means what it means. High capacity mini macro setup.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mirskyc said:

what borough? curious if this was the result of the altice agreement. it just seems pretty quick to happen, unless it was already in the planing stages

 

The BX..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you guys noticed any new sites since the Altice deal? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, lilotimz said:

Not a mistake. It means what it means. High capacity mini macro setup.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
 

is this the same base station equipment of a normal MM but with 8t8r antennas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
is this the same base station equipment of a normal MM but with 8t8r antennas?

Not necessarily.

 

Nokia mini macros and most small cells are all in one eNB that contain the BTS and RRUs in one compact unit.

 

All it means is that there is an added mini macro to an existing site adding another additional 40 MHz of capacity based on the GCI ending.

 

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lilotimz said:

Not necessarily.

 

Nokia mini macros and most small cells are all in one eNB that contain the BTS and RRUs in one compact unit.

 

All it means is that there is an added mini macro to an existing site adding another additional 40 MHz of capacity based on the GCI ending.

 

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

 

 

 

thats a pretty genius set up for big cities. you end up with more capacity than full build 3xCA site 60mhz vs 80mhz.  You lose out on some range but in NYC where the network is so dense you don't need that range as much. You also lose out on max speed but I would take more capacity or top speed anyday. 

 

edit: and its probably alot cheaper as well

Edited by mirskyc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

thats a pretty genius set up for big cities. you end up with more capacity than full build 3xCA site 60mhz vs 80mhz.  You lose out on some range but in NYC where the network is so dense you don't need that range as much. You also lose out on max speed but I would take more capacity or top speed anyday. 

Where did you pick up the HC setup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mirskyc said:

thats a pretty genius set up for big cities. you end up with more capacity than full build 3xCA site 60mhz vs 80mhz.  You lose out on some range but in NYC where the network is so dense you don't need that range as much. You also lose out on max speed but I would take more capacity or top speed anyday. 

Could this be Massive Mimo? I have yet to see a MM HC in NYC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Could this be Massive Mimo? I have yet to see a MM HC in NYC.

Unlikely at this point. Likely is what it says it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

Where did you pick up the HC setup?

51 5th ave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

51 5th ave

you need to investigate further, i have yet to see sprint use mm (sc cells aside)in midtown.

9 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Unlikely at this point. Likely is what it says it is.

I know that area fairly well, was covered by Clearwire site that crumbled under load during peak hours. I find it hard to believe they would install hc mm site there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

you need to investigate further, i have yet to see sprint use mm (sc cells aside)in midtown.

I know that area fairly well, was covered by Clearwire site that crumbled under load during peak hours. I find it hard to believe they would install hc mm site there.

What's hard to believe?

Nokia removed the Samsung Clear eNB and replaced it with their own Nokia eNB while adding additional capacity at minimal cost. It's something seen in several markets that has been happening very slowly."

MMR's (massive mimo radios) are not ready to be deployed for prime time at this time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

What's hard to believe?

Nokia removed the Samsung Clear eNB and replaced it with their own Nokia eNB while adding additional capacity at minimal cost. It's something seen in several markets that has been happening very slowly."

MMR's (massive mimo radios) are not ready to be deployed for prime time at this time. 

I will go and take a peak at the site tomorrow.  But your probably right.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to let you guys know that reporting issues on the mysprint app has been working out great in NYC! I reported an issue from a buddy's place in BK, who lost b41 access months ago. He said it was getting so bad (sub 1mb at all times of day on b25) he was considering switching. I asked him to report the issue (which he kinda brushed me off with zero expectation) And I reported as well. Two days later..B41 back! Speeds went from .50 to 100mbs+. He was ecstatic since he never tested after Config change and was blown away by the increase.

Second case, reported my local small cell, it gets overburdened during peak times (relay backhaul..grr!) to the point where no data gets transferred. Well, three days later, they finally turned it off completely, and did slight downtilt (signal from site went from -105dBm to now seeing -95dBm) from local macro site and speeds are now 5x faster (from 3-4mb to 20mbs+).

Glad to see NYC RF team doing good work.

  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just left JFK Airport for LAX. Noticed that Sprint now has a DAS in Terminal 5. I recall them posting about it recently. While is only 2xCA it provided amazing signal and speeds. Here is the only and only speed test I took 

 

UqJ2EVS.png?1

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have any of you had any luck in getting the standalone insurance for $6.25 from Sprint?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2018 at 9:08 AM, nexgencpu said:

Just wanted to let you guys know that reporting issues on the mysprint app has been working out great in NYC! I reported an issue from a buddy's place in BK, who lost b41 access months ago. He said it was getting so bad (sub 1mb at all times of day on b25) he was considering switching. I asked him to report the issue (which he kinda brushed me off with zero expectation) And I reported as well. Two days later..B41 back! Speeds went from .50 to 100mbs+. He was ecstatic since he never tested after Config change and was blown away by the increase.

Second case, reported my local small cell, it gets overburdened during peak times (relay backhaul..grr!) to the point where no data gets transferred. Well, three days later, they finally turned it off completely, and did slight downtilt (signal from site went from -105dBm to now seeing -95dBm) from local macro site and speeds are now 5x faster (from 3-4mb to 20mbs+).

Glad to see NYC RF team doing good work.

well they pro active about it which is great....i m using boost mobile as a sprint tracker and i couldnt be happier :) they are starting drastically improve...lets see what happens this year. i am very positive that things will only get better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This morning I no longer had access to Verizon roaming in the East River tunnel for the LIRR. Normally I have access to 1X the whole ride and sometimes 3G but I never have access to data. Only voice calls and texts go through. Still had no access as I took my 5:20 train home. 

 

I wonder if Verizon shut down the 3G in the tunnel or even in Penn Station. Or maybe just blocking roaming. Or maybe they are doing work.  It was one of the plus side of having Sprint over AT&T or T-Mobile. I hope this isn't a permanent thing. 

 

Edit still no signal in the tunnel today. Brought a verizon phone with me and it had LTE the whole time. Turned it to 3G only and still had a signal. I hope Verizon roaming isn't ending yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think Sprint might finally be reducing 3G for more LTE. I saw this on Long island but i think the spectrum assets are the same for LI and NYC. Not sure if this is a SCP error cause I've never seen it here before.

4SlaOO4.png?1

qs6RdfZ.png?1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

i think Sprint might finally be reducing 3G for more LTE. I saw this on Long island but i think the spectrum assets are the same for LI and NYC. Not sure if this is a SCP error cause I've never seen it here before.

4SlaOO4.png?1

qs6RdfZ.png?1

If Im not mistaken we do have the spectrum available for 10x10+5x5 PCS. 

But you can also confirm using the engineering screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Similar Content

    • By lilotimz

      Ericsson RRUS31 B25 + RRUS11 B26
      These are the newest and greatest remote radio units to come from Ericsson. 

      The new Ericsson RRUS31  B25 should be fairly distinctive compared to the earlier RRUS11s and now the RRUS12s being deployed by ATT and Verizon. One of these new RRUS31s can do the job of two earlier RRUS11s thus reducing deployment costs for Sprint and complexity in deploying new sites and making it easier for users to spot as there are now 4 jumpers coming out of one RRUS31 rather than two from each RRUS11 that Ericsson originally deployed. 

      All future deployments will be utilizing the new Ericsson RRUS31s. In addition Ericsson are sending crews to their original deployments and swapping out older RRUS11s for these new RRUS31s due to the aforementioned fact that one RRUS31 can do the job of 2 RRUS11s. Weight savings will be significant at sites where there are 4 or 5 RRUS11 B25s that can be replaced by one or 2 RRUS31s. The Ericsson RRUS31 deployment project is known as the 65 Mhz Project. 

       

      Ericsson RRUS11 B26 top and RRUS31 B25 bottom

       

       
      Ericsson High Capacity / 4x4/2 MIMO Deployment
      Note the additional antenna + PCS radio.
      Previously Ericsson utilized additional PCS radios and used RF combiners for high capacity setups where they utilized three or more PCS radios. This new setup will utilize a completey new antenna + radio set just like Samsung and run 4x2 MIMO on the LTE antenna / radio set. 
       

       

       

       
      Ericsson RRUS11 B25 [EOL'd] and B26
      A standard Ericsson Network Vision 1.0 site with 3 RRUS11s where two are dedicated to PCS and one to SMR.  

      This type of setup is no longer deployed or utilized in new sites. Existing sites will be slowly converted to newer RRUS31 B25 via the Sprint 65 mhz project. 


       
      Ericsson NV high capacity site [EOL'd]
      3 or 4 PCS RRUs are present for a total of 4 or 5 RRUS11s per antenna. 


       

       

       
      Close up of Antennas
       

       
      Ericsson cabinets 
      (center)



      All credit to those who took the photographs. They know who they are!
       
    • By danlodish345
      Hey guys I found another newsletter about Sprint and Cox. I'll be posting the article here.
      http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/technology/article195339874.html
    • By lilotimz
      Here are the Alcatel-Lucent (ALU) Network Vision equipment for Sprint. Their equipment consists of 2x base stations, 6 or 9 Remote Radio Unit (RRU) setups, and 1 standard NV antenna of with connectors on the bottom (4x PCS, 2x SMR). 

      Below are images of Alcatel-Lucent equipment. In these images, you will find Alcatel-Lucent base stations, Sprint Network Vision antennas, PCS 1900 & SMR 800 RRUs, and their configurations.
      Alcatel-Lucent 4x40w 25 MHz PCS 1900 B25 RRUs (Panasonic) [old]

      Alcatel-Lucent  4x45w 1900 MHz B25 RRU 

      ALU 2x50w B26 800 MHz RRU [KMW Communications]

      Older Panasonic Setup [4x40w 25 MHz B25]




      Standard Alcatel-Lucent Setup 
      Utilizes 2x50w 800 MHz B26 RRU and 4x45w 1900 MHz B25 RRU and compatible antennas. 



      Closer Look at the connectors on the bottom of the antennas

      Special Case Mexican IBEZ Setup
      Note the lack of 800 MHz RRUs though the antennas are capable of 800 MHz. 


      High Capacity Setup


      High Capacity no SMR 800 IBEZ setup


      * Credits go to those whom took the images of these equipment. You know who you are."
  • Posts

  • Recently Browsing

×