Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

How is spring service in the Bronx ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess they will find out when Spring comes. Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How is spring service in the Bronx ?

It's pretty good, they have added a bunch of small cells, and some B25 2XCA and a few 3XCA. We do have a few capacity issues on sites without 3XCA. But small cells do help tremendously (Hell, there is a sprint small cell on my block!)
  • Like 2

Did anyone else forget about Sprint's partnership with Boingo Hotspot? I thought it was limited to airports but I was wrong. I was just in The Oculus at the World Trade Center and my phone connected to WiFi automatically. I initially assumed it was the mall's WiFi or even Apple's since I had those two networks saved in my phone but I was surprised to see Passpoint Secure instead.

Something interesting that I noticed is that when you go into WiFi calling on your phone, you can't turn off WiFi Calling for Passpoint Secure. Normally I turn on WiFi calling on a per network basis because some result in lots of dropped calls but Boingo doesn't let me. That said, WiFi calling worked perfectly anyway so I didn't need to turn it off after all.

• Like 4

Did anyone else forget all Sprint's partnership with Boingo Hotspot? I thought it was limited to airports but I was wrong. I was just in The Oculus at the World Trade Center and my phone connected to WiFi automatically. I initially assumed it was the mall's WiFi or even Apple's since I had those two networks saved in my phone but I was surprised to see Passpoint Secure instead.

Something interesting that I noticed is that when you go into WiFi calling on your phone, you can't turn off WiFi Calling for Passpoint Secure. Normally I turn on WiFi calling on a per network basis because some result in lots of dropped calls but Boingo doesn't let me. That said, WiFi calling worked perfectly anyway so I didn't need to turn it off after all.

I used it recently at LGA and MIA. It is supposed to be limited to certain airports but I guess that restriction is gone now. I also recall hearing that Boingo was upgrading a lot of there Hotpots locations to include up to 3x more access points to allow for better WiFi calling and voice over internet hand off. 

Did anyone else forget about Sprint's partnership with Boingo Hotspot? I thought it was limited to airports but I was wrong. I was just in The Oculus at the World Trade Center and my phone connected to WiFi automatically.

Is Sprint on the DAS inside the Oculus?

I don't know, I didn't check because I always have WiFi on to auto connect to networks.

I know they're on the DAS in 1 WTC so I would assume they're also in the Oculus. I'll be back there later this week to pick up my laptop from Apple so I'll check then.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PrQmJhA.png?2

I think this is the fastest speeds I've seen in NYC. Keep in mind this is at before 5:56 am on 66th Street so its not the most crowded or busy area and time. SCP reported a Mini Macro site. My signal was -85dBM and I thought I saw the antennas. It would of been the first non light post MM in Manhattan. Later looking at Google street view and the Clear site map I realized it was a light post site. Although in the end this really isn't anything special I though it was cool almost reaching the maximum speed with 2x CA. Also by mistake I had my Speedtest server set to Syracuse from being there recently. I couldn't figure out how to get it to auto select each time so a lot of my recent results use that sever. I've figured it out and will be using NYC based servers now. 

Also I in the Lincoln Plaza and Lincoln Restaurant on Monday and Tuesday.  I was able to hit speeds from 30 to 60 Mbps with 3xCA at anytime from 8am to 3PM. 

PrQmJhA.png?2

I think this is the fastest speeds I've seen in NYC. Keep in mind this is at before 5:56 am on 66th Street so its not the most crowded or busy area and time. SCP reported a Mini Macro site. My signal was -85dBM and I thought I saw the antennas. It would of been the first non light post MM in Manhattan. Later looking at Google street view and the Clear site map I realized it was a light post site. Although in the end this really isn't anything special I though it was cool almost reaching the maximum speed with 2x CA. Also by mistake I had my Speedtest server set to Syracuse from being there recently. I couldn't figure out how to get it to auto select each time so a lot of my recent results use that sever. I've figured it out and will be using NYC based servers now.

Also I in the Lincoln Plaza and Lincoln Restaurant on Monday and Tuesday. I was able to hit speeds from 30 to 60 Mbps with 3xCA at anytime from 8am to 3PM.

Great speeds!! Guess the download to upload ratio hasn't taken effect yet in NYC

Interesting, if I set the server to NYC I get the following...

Dnload: 5.48 Mbps

Upload: 3.03 Mbps

Ping...: 34ms

If I switch to Utica, NY server I get..

Dnload: 38.10 Mbps

Upload: 8.40 Mbps

Ping....: 41 ms

This is of course running the test out in the boro of Queens near Queens Hospital. 

TS out

This is of course running the test out in the boro of Queens near Queens Hospital. 

TS out

All of the NYC servers give me a wide range of results. It picks the best one based on Ping but sometimes a slightly higher ping server results in much faster speeds

TS out

That Utica server is pretty wild. My Band 26 speeds in my office were 4Mbps when auto selecting the server but when I chose the Utica server, my speeds went up to 9.5Mbps down and 5 up on Band 26.

Also by mistake I had my Speedtest server set to Syracuse from being there recently. I couldn't figure out how to get it to auto select each time so a lot of my recent results use that sever. I've figured it out and will be using NYC based servers now. 

That Utica server is pretty wild. My Band 26 speeds in my office were 4Mbps when auto selecting the server but when I chose the Utica server, my speeds went up to 9.5Mbps down and 5 up on Band 26.

Sounds like the Utica server either has a lot of capacity or is under used. Either way, the ping results seem fine, so I don't see a reason to switch. I leave my Speedtest app set to a specific server in Springfield, MO, because even in Colorado or New Mexico it still gives the best results. 

The highest test result in a speed test is the accurate one. I have said for many years people should not assume low speed test results on auto select servers are accurate. If you really want to know more than just an anecdotal speed, several servers across a geographic region should be used.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 3

Nothing really new to report, but was hanging at the cross county shopping center and the mini macros are holding up really well. 

Super crowded, speeds were still hovering between 10-20mbs.

Inside some of the shops would drop me to B26, but since B41 is covering a ton of ground (even inside a lot of spots) B26 was performing between 4-8mbs.

Good stuff!

• Like 2

I finally had the chance to enter Penn Station through the new 8th Ave entrance and go into the new West End Concourse. I was told Sprint had a new DAS inside. I was happy to see my phone on B41 the entire time I was in the concourse and it even stayed on B41 when I went down on the track level. Speeds were 30 to 60 Mbps at around 5:30PM.

Unfortunately I stay on the other end of the station because its allows for easier access to my car when I get off the train and a shorter walk when I get into the city. The DAS in place there is only 3G and it doesn't reach the lower track level too well. \

I have a feeling Sprint isn't going to upgrade this for a while. When the new Penn Station under the post office is build they will have a new DAS there as well. When they close down the current Penn Station and renovate it they will upgrade the 3G DAS. Once that is complete and the 3 section are combined in to Empire Station the entire station will have good service. 

• Like 2