Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

As I suspected, Manhattan has B25-2xCA live. Connected to it on 42nd and 8th ave, speeds were pretty damn good! 29mb down/7mb up.

:tu:

Thinking about it now I most likely was connected to B25 2XCA in Mid Town. When driving around my phone at one point was connected to B25 and a speed test was above 25Mbps. It was the slowest of my test while in Manhattan. 

They should really slim down CDMA some more in NYC. I believe they could have 10x10 and 5x5 in the G Block and still have some left for CDMA carriers. 

edit: Just checked they have enough for 15x15 B25 in the B-block if they remove 1x and 3G CDMA. So 10x10 is possible. CDMA would be very slim since I believe they need a guard band.

Thinking about it now I most likely was connected to B25 2XCA in Mid Town. When driving around my phone at one point was connected to B25 and a speed test was above 25Mbps. It was the slowest of my test while in Manhattan. 

They should really slim down CDMA some more in NYC. I believe they could have 10x10 and 5x5 in the G Block and still have some left for CDMA carriers. 

If I'm not mistaken yes, they can do 10+5 in NYC, but might be too much voice traffic as of today to slim it down. Id rather they play it safe than to cause voice issues. For now, seeing that B25 is achieving speeds over 20mb during normal business hours is very encouraging. 

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken yes, they can do 10+5 in NYC, but might be too much voice traffic as of today to slim it down. Id rather they play it safe than to cause voice issues. For now, seeing that B25 is achieving speeds over 20mb during normal business hours is very encouraging. 

Hopefully "Soon" once VoLTE is deployed. 

• Like 1

I hear chatter that B25CA might be live nationwide, (Just not on all sites yet) This could be the key to seeing VoLTE this year.

Sprint seems to be making a lot of moves towards VoLTE this year such as:

- Trying to upgrade most of not all GMOs to LTE (both B25 run through old antennae and B26 through dedicated antennae like T-Mobile has been doing with their B12 deployment)

- Releasing the Magic Box

- Signing an LTE roaming agreement with AT&T

- Enabling LTE roaming in all USCC areas

- Adding B41 small cells in metro and suburban areas across the country

- Aggressively adding B41 mini macros to macro sites in many areas across the country

- Reducing Qrxlevmin values on sites across the country (I can now comfortably hold all LTE bands down to signal levels as low as -126 in my market, for example)

- Widening LTE carriers and thinning out CDMA

There are more, of course, but you get the point. I personally think VoLTE will probably come to Sprint late this year but we'll all see soon enough.

• Like 5

- Trying to upgrade most of not all GMOs to LTE (both B25 run through old antennae and B26 through dedicated antennae like T-Mobile has been doing with their B12 deployment)

- Aggressively adding B41 mini macros to macro sites in many areas across the country

- Reducing Qrxlevmin values on sites across the country (I can now comfortably hold all LTE bands down to signal levels as low as -126 in my market, for example)

There are more, of course, but you get the point. I personally think VoLTE will probably come to Sprint late this year but we'll all see soon enough.

What exactly does "Reducing Qrxlevmin values on sites across the country (I can now comfortably hold all LTE bands down to signal levels as low as -126 in my market, for example)" mean. 

I just noticed this around my area about 2 weeks ago. I am holding on to B41 signal as low as -133. This is causing me to have B41 coverage where I've never had it before without any site upgrades. Its kinda of annoying since the weak signal produces slower speeds than the B25/B26 only tower that much closer. or when I hold on to a weak B25 or B26 signal  with unusable speeds instead of jumping down to usable 3G that's faster than 2Mbps

B25 2XCA

s7icyIYm.pngb1eMAgem.png

B41 3XCA 130th st harlem

VkaYUI0m.png

I also connected to 2xCA band 25 from the cell site on Pace University, but I couldn't get the screenshot before it switch to small cell so fast.

• Like 1

Rootametrics has 1st Quarter 2017 results up for a lot of markets and Sprint has improved in almost all of them. The NYC market is not up yet but I expect a big improvement.

It's up.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/new-york-city-and-tri-state-area/2017/1H

a9fc783f0f3f6dd16bc838efa465b8a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Dkoellerwx

When does sprint expect the roaming agreement with att to go live? I wonder if it will be mostly only 1x/3G speeds or will they allow full LTE...

When does sprint expect the roaming agreement with att to go live? I wonder if it will be mostly only 1x/3G speeds or will they allow full LTE...

It's already signed and live.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's already signed and live.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I wonder if Att will start doing MFBI for devices that don't support B2?

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

I wonder if Att will start doing MFBI for devices that don't support B2?

AT&T instituted MFBI network wide back in 2015.  Whether or not it is working with Sprint roaming is unknown.  I believe every Sprint roaming on AT&T B2/B25 I've seen so far has been on devices that are not B25 only.

Robert

Interesting. Is the att roaming agreement only for 3G speeds?

It Allows LTE. If it's anything like TMobile roaming onto att then it could be throttled.

• Like 1

It Allows LTE. If it's anything like TMobile roaming onto att then it could be throttled.

Good to know because when sprint roamed on Verizon it was throttled to 3G at the fastest

Good to know because when sprint roamed on Verizon it was throttled to 3G at the fastest

On Vzw is was only 1X and, 3G nothing was throttled. On att it connects to their LTE. VZW doesn't allow LTE roaming.

In my personal observations, it is throttled but definitely usable.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion, most often you are seeing 1xRTT data, thus speeds are usually well under 1Mbps. On the chance that you are connected to EVDO roaming, Verizon's speeds are still often 1Mbps or slower, so it would be pretty tough to point to any throttling. 

And also is it reciprocal? Can att roam on sprint as well? (Not like they need to but you never know)

Not that I've seen yet. My AT&T devices continue to sit on 1 bar of LTE or HSPA at my house even though much stronger LTE is available on Sprint.