Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Haha yeah I've got 150mbps symmetrical from Frontier out here in Seattle. Works like a charm - I don't think I've never seen speeds fall below the 150 mark.

Our local PUD offers 1Gbps symmetrical down/up in their FTTH that is strung aerially along many of their power poles around the county. And it's less expensive than Xfinity. But they sadly don't have service in my neighborhood. So I use Comcast Xfinity 150Mbps, which typically runs 160-175Mbps. However, upload is a paltry 25Mbps.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

Altice stated that the plan with Optimum is to be able to deliver 10Gbps to a home but obviously that will be way too expensive and also not really necessary for a home. Optimum's HFC network already delivers fiber to the curb. It's just a matter of wiring fiber from the curb to the premises. This upgrade means a lot for not only residences but also businesses if speeds can reach that high.

*Update*

Tunnel furthest to the right heading into NJ has full LTE. Tunnel on the left still 3G (or right if your going into NYC), but i did notice 3G speeds are actually excellent.

So jealous, so sick of my 5 local gmos around central Ohio....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Update*

Tunnel furthest to the right heading into NJ has full LTE. Tunnel on the left still 3G (or right if your going into NYC), but i did notice 3G speeds are actually excellent.

It's is interesting that they only activated one side, and not wait till they could do both!  But positive none the less!

And New Yorkers who regularly claim "subway delay, couldn't call because I was underground" due to perpetual lateness cry in agony...  :lol:

Was in your market the last couple days. The small cells seem to be using the same earfcn as the ones in Ohio, 40072, despite the first and second B41 earfcns being different. So that might be an easy way to distinguish them from the macros.

Sent from my Pixel XL

• Like 1

Was in your market the last couple days. The small cells seem to be using the same earfcn as the ones in Ohio, 40072, despite the first and second B41 earfcns being different. So that might be an easy way to distinguish them from the macros.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Alot of the small cells are upgraded to 2xCA so even the engineering screens are iffy. They only tend to display the PCC and not the SCC.

Alot of the small cells are upgraded to 2xCA so even the engineering screens are iffy. They only tend to display the PCC and not the SCC.

Hmm I didn't think to check NSG, since the ones in Ohio are only a single carrier (at least the LTE backhaul fed ones I checked out are). It's possible it's a new install that isn't 2xCA yet? I'll look through my logs tomorrow and see what earfcns I found for your market. Almost all the B41 was Clearwire lol. This particular site with earfcn 40072 was in Flatbush, I think I saw the antenna on a street light post but didn't take a picture (was very hungover lol), just a screen shot:

67b8bde646360de935751c63d725e561.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL

• Like 3

Hmm I didn't think to check NSG, since the ones in Ohio are only a single carrier (at least the LTE backhaul fed ones I checked out are). It's possible it's a new install that isn't 2xCA yet? I'll look through my logs tomorrow and see what earfcns I found for your market. Almost all the B41 was Clearwire lol. This particular site with earfcn 40072 was in Flatbush, I think I saw the antenna on a street light post but didn't take a picture (was very hungover lol), just a screen shot:

67b8bde646360de935751c63d725e561.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL

Oh wow! 012A GCI is small cell. You found one outside of Manhattan...NICE!

• Like 4

Hmm I didn't think to check NSG, since the ones in Ohio are only a single carrier (at least the LTE backhaul fed ones I checked out are). It's possible it's a new install that isn't 2xCA yet?

Sent from my Pixel XL

Yes a single carrier small cell is definitely possible. They all started life as single carrier, and their still quite few out there without 2xCA.

Also do you have an address where you found this site?

Oh wow! 012A GCI is small cell. You found one outside of Manhattan...NICE!

I don't have an exact address, but these are my SCP logs with 012A as the starting GCI (EDIT: Removed due to mangled formatting)

I found 4 in Manhattan, and one in Brooklyn. That one has a strongest rsrp of -84 near Prospect Park at Caton Ave and Rugby Rd.

• Like 4

I don't have an exact address, but these are my SCP logs with 012A as the starting GCI (EDIT: Removed due to mangled formatting)

I found 4 in Manhattan, and one in Brooklyn. That one has a strongest rsrp of -84 near Prospect Park at Caton Ave and Rugby Rd.

I confirmed a bit over 100 small cells in Manhattan, none in other boroughs, this is definitely promising. 

• Like 3

I confirmed a bit over 100 small cells in Manhattan, none in other boroughs, this is definitely promising. 

The ones I have in Manhattan are [012A3131], [012A7B31], [012A8D31], and [012A9631]. The first is near Battery Park, and the others were along FDR starting from Midtown down through Battery Park to the tunnel. 

• Like 1

The ones I have in Manhattan are [012A3131], [012A7B31], [012A8D31], and [012A9631]. The first is near Battery Park, and the others were along FDR starting from Midtown down through Battery Park to the tunnel. 

Also, Id like to point out, its not only 012A that are small cells, 0129,012D as well..

Also, Id like to point out, its not only 012A that are small cells, 0129,012D as well..

Oooo, I have one of those too, 0129EA39. Also the same route, so in Manhattan as well. It could be a bug in SCP because I was connected to them so briefly, but [0129EA39] shows an EARFCN of 41474, and [012A8D31] an EARFCN of 41276, which matched up with the regular macro EARFCNs. Like I said though, i was connected to each for only less than a second, so it's likely SCP just logged stale EARFCN data and they're really 40072 like the other small cells.

The GCI with 012A8D31 have 2x CA small cell. It seem that they slow down the 2x CA. All other is still on EARFCN 40072. I mapped all other small cells in cellmapper, if you see 2 cell ids in 1 small cell it mean 2x CA.