Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Fun fact, while taking my Uber today I found out T-Mobile doesn't have service in the Battery Tunnel. Meanwhile Sprint has Band 26 down here and I'm posting this while on it right now. It might be leaky coax or a DAS because the signal is really strong.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Carriers put DAS in tunnels?

Carriers put DAS in tunnels?

Sometimes, or they use repeaters if applicable. Pittsburgh does in a few of its tunnels, but they aren't updated for LTE yet. San Francisco finally does on all the underground portions of the BART (subway), including the tunnel that goes from San Francisco to Oakland under the bay. DAS is becoming more and more popular and we're starting to see them in a lot of places. There are a lot of ODAS installations as well. The distinction between ODAS and DAS when it comes to tunnels is a bit blurry, I guess it just depends if the antennas are weather proofed or not?

Sent from my Pixel XL

• Like 1

I just ran a speed test in my house and got a ping of 23ms with speeds of 13Mbps down on at -112dbm. It's kind of amazing because in the younger days of Sprint LTE, I struggled to hold onto even Band 26 in parts of my house. Now my house is covered in Band 41.

• Like 4

Since this small cell was broadcasting on EARFCN: 40072, 1 week ago, this week it changed to 41078, 41276 and 41474. I uploaded data on cellmapper by me. I only upload data for lower manhattan.

Since this small cell was broadcasting on EARFCN: 40072, 1 week ago, this week it changed to 41078, 41276 and 41474. I uploaded data on cellmapper by me. I only upload data for lower manhattan.

This looks like 2xCA coming from the small cell, first time ive seen that. Did you do a speed test? did you notice any increase in speed? 

This looks like 2xCA coming from the small cell, first time ive seen that. Did you do a speed test? did you notice any increase in speed? 

Yes, but I was on my work break at 16th floors, 22.99 Mbps Download speed and 8.80 upload and ping 19ms. The image is too large to upload.

• Like 2

Looks like these EARFCN are contiguous, if I'm not mistaken small cells are limited to 2xCA, but this does signify that 3rd carrier is incoming. Did you pick up all three EARFCN's from the same site? and how did you confirm it?

Looks like these EARFCN are contiguous, if I'm not mistaken small cells are limited to 2xCA, but this does signify that 3rd carrier is incoming. Did you pick up all three EARFCN's from the same site? and how did you confirm it?

Yes, it keep on changing on my Service Mode from first EARFCN 41276, the SCC1: keep changing between 41078 and 41474.

There also another small cell that have 3 carriers broadcasted. GCI: 0129DB31 PCI: 485 and GCI: 0129DB39 PCI: 485.

GCI: 0129DB31 was broadcasted EARFCN: 40072 only, now it has the same EARFCN as my first one.

Yes, it keep on changing on my Service Mode from first EARFCN 41276, the SCC1: keep changing between 41078 and 41474.

There also another small cell that have 3 carriers broadcasted. GCI: 0129DB31 PCI: 485 and GCI: 0129DB39 PCI: 485.

GCI: 0129DB31 was broadcasted EARFCN: 40072 only, now it has the same EARFCN as my first one.

Mini macros and picos do not support more than 2x20 or two 20 MHz LTE carriers. Only 8t8r macro equipment does and the third carrier gci ends on 41/42/43 if so.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

My bad the pci 459 only broadcast 41474 and 41276 while pci 485 broadcast at 41078 and 41276 these small cell very close to each other in M15 SBS south ferry terminal.

Hey folks, saw this just a minute ago. Maybe related to what the observant user up top discovered and the ensuing channel moveage and findetry discussion. Not being local I checked le map and, as I assume you know is in Manhattan. What a rollout, small cells and then aggregation. Great times to be a Sprint user in the area. Hope this helps.

Have a great night everyone.

https://twitter.com/AdrienneNort/status/801501767443873799

Our new @Sprint #LTEPlus system is now on-air w/ two-channel carrier aggregation (faster data speeds!) @PABusTerminal in #NYC

• Like 2

Hey folks, saw this just a minute ago. Maybe related to what the observant user up top discovered and the ensuing channel moveage and findetry discussion. Not being local I checked le map and, as I assume you know is in Manhattan. What a rollout, small cells and then aggregation. Great times to be a Sprint user in the area. Hope this helps.

Have a great night everyone.https://twitter.com/AdrienneNort/status/801501767443873799

Nice find, but this sounds like DAS in port authority which is a huge bus terminal. I havent been there in a while but its awesome to see it come online.
  • Like 1

In Staten Island and my aunt's Galaxy S6 Edge is getting speeds of 56Mbps and pings of 21ms. Pings that low aren't common at all in Boston.

I thought we determined that Boston LTE backhaul is out of a 4G core in New York. Or was it Roachdale?

AJ

I have one question, why does some clearwire(sprint) sites only broadcasting single band 41 instead of 2x20 mhz? Other clearwire(sprint) site have 2x20mhz, with GCI ending 00,01,02,09,0A,0B

This is the speed test image from the 16th floor.

http://i.imgur.com/PyrhGbX.png

This is the another speed test image when waiting at the bus stop at south ferry terminal at 3:30 PM. 2x20mhz small cell really does have with capacity and bandwidth.

http://i.imgur.com/Gx2OeKJ.png

Edited by RaigekiNYC
  • Like 1

Optimization can do wonders..

I can gain small cell at work, but I can't gain small cell from my home apartment complex. The highest speed I can get -97 RSRP 2x CA band 41 8T8R is 50 Mbps down and 15 upload at 4:30 AM and 26 Mbps down and 8.5 upload on band 26 on -89 RSRP and band 25 -97 RSRP.