Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Ok well now I am leaving work and Just got 2mbps down. It says I am now on sector 4098 instead of 4099. Channel 675 instead of 425.

Also it is later and everyone has gone home from work. So I don't know what to make of this. There are only two NV antennas on top of this building and there is one legacy antenna still left in the middle.

Those two different sectors are on the same site, but on different sectors and channels. Interesting. Keep us posted on the differebt variables.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Ok just did one where it was flipped onto 4099 and ch.425 again. (Interesting, when I walk into a certain area of my office, it switches to these sectors/channels). This time I got 2mbps down again. This is the same channel/sector that gave me <200kbps earlier today. Hate to break bad news but really seems like a congestion problem is still happening on this tower despite NV.

Ok just did one where it was flipped onto 4099 and ch.425 again. (Interesting' date=' when I walk into a certain area of my office, it switches to these sectors/channels). This time I got 2mbps down again. This is the same channel/sector that gave me <200kbps earlier today. Hate to break bad news but really seems like a congestion problem is still happening on this tower despite NV.[/quote']

It very well could be. There may not be enough carriers deployed. Monitor it for a week or so. If it continues all on sectors that start with 409, then you know its always the same site. Then call Sprint and complain. Because additional carrier cards can solve this problem if NV backhaul is in place.

It very well could be. There may not be enough carriers deployed. Monitor it for a week or so. If it continues all on sectors that start with 409, then you know its always the same site. Then call Sprint and complain. Because additional carrier cards can solve this problem if NV backhaul is in place.

I'm sorry, but I thought that was supposed to be PART OF NV? Or are they so stupid they would like to keep paying people to go back to the same site over and over again, instead of doing it in one shot? Kind of like their "band-aid" fixes. Please tell me why they are adding T-1 lines, only to be ripping them out when NV comes in a few months (years? decades?)

Same crap today on 4099, 4098, and 4097. Good in the morning, <200kbps during the day, and back to good when everyone went home. I'm not going to call and complain, because its not like me calling is actually going to make them add a carrier card. This is the last chance I (and many others) are giving them, they can get NV right or they will lose me as a customer. I was so happy when I saw the new antennas, but man did they let me down. So far, I'm not impressed with "Network Vision"...

I'm sorry, but I thought that was supposed to be PART OF NV? Or are they so stupid they would like to keep paying people to go back to the same site over and over again, instead of doing it in one shot? Kind of like their "band-aid" fixes. Please tell me why they are adding T-1 lines, only to be ripping them out when NV comes in a few months (years? decades?)

Same crap today on 4099, 4098, and 4097. Good in the morning, <200kbps during the day, and back to good when everyone went home. I'm not going to call and complain, because its not like me calling is actually going to make them add a carrier card. This is the last chance I (and many others) are giving them, they can get NV right or they will lose me as a customer. I was so happy when I saw the new antennas, but man did they let me down. So far, I'm not impressed with "Network Vision"...

Well you also can take into account that the tower you are connected to is the only one in that area that has been upgraded so that tower has to take on all the connections by itself, once they surround that tower with other network visión towers they will be able to better distribute the bandwidth between the towers and you will see better speeds... I hope.

Let's just say for the sake of argument that the new NV backhaul is hooked up and you are getting your results (which we don't even know). You do realize they have yet to light up a 5x5mhz chunk of spectrum on LTE(which is more efficient than EVDO?) which you will be riding on once it goes live. Realistically, that is a decent chunk of capacity(~37mb/s) that will be added and I think you're being premature and dramatic in your assessment. And obviously outside of that, more EVDO carriers can be added via NV and we don't even know if the new hardware is broadcasting.

Edited by Boosted20V
  • Like 2

Let's just say for the sake of argument that the new NV backhaul is hooked up and you are getting your results (which we don't even know). You do realize they have yet to light up a 5x5mhz chunk of spectrum on LTE(which is more efficient than EVDO?) which you will be riding on once it goes live. Realistically, that is a decent chunk of capacity(~37mb/s) that will be added and I think you're being premature and dramatic in your assessment. And obviously outside of that, more EVDO carriers can be added via NV and we don't even know if the new hardware is broadcasting.

Well it's listed as complete and also the pings are very low, which I think is something that is typically seen on the nv equipment ?

Well it's listed as complete and also the pings are very low, which I think is something that is typically seen on the nv equipment ?

In that case, then you're absolutely correct that current carrier capacity is maxed out there. However, as I stated before, much relief will be because of the additional 10 mhz of spectrum used for LTE. Backhaul obviously isn't the limiting factor in all cases, in a city as dense as NY, I imagine all carriers have issues keeping every served.

Look, the bottom line is if there are not enough carriers to handle the load, Sprint needs to know so they can add more. This is an easily fixable problem in most instances.

You are not being realistic. Sprint is adding additional carriers in Network Vision in places where they are needed. However, they cannot determine how much usage will occur on a site after its starts running well. They can only make an educated guess. They may even have to add more carriers than they anticipated. People start using their devices more and more when data returns, and usage skyrockets.

I don't know if you realize, but even Verizon adds EVDO carriers to sites based on feedback it gets from customers. The Verizon site near my house dropped to 200k downloads. My friend complained to Verizon several times, but they eventually added another carrier and speeds are back above 1mbps.

Wireless networks and specific site performance is dynamic. Every carrier will experience capacity issues and need to add carriers.

That being said, all the other points made about additional sites coming online and LTE are true and will help 3G capacity and performance as well.

This pattern has been pretty consistent..

th_Screenshot_2012-09-07-12-12-401.png

Look, the bottom line is if there are not enough carriers to handle the load, Sprint needs to know so they can add more. This is an easily fixable problem in most instances.

You are not being realistic. Sprint is adding additional carriers in Network Vision in places where they are needed. However, they cannot determine how much usage will occur on a site after its starts running well. They can only make an educated guess. They may even have to add more carriers than they anticipated. People start using their devices more and more when data returns, and usage skyrockets.

How am I not being realistic? It is not my job as a Sprint customer to monitor their network performance for them. That is something they should be doing themselves. Your telling me they have no way of knowing a tower is overburdened besides customers calling and complaining?

I guess I'll just wait and see what LTE brings.

How am I not being realistic? It is not my job as a Sprint customer to monitor their network performance for them. That is something they should be doing themselves. Your telling me they have no way of knowing a tower is overburdened besides customers calling and complaining?

I didn't say they do not have any way. The new network is very immature and just starting to be deployed. What I did say is that leaving Sprint will not relieve you of the burden of ever having to report an overburdened carrier. Networks are dynamic and loads ebb and flow. On all networks. Period.

With 38,000 sites, Sprint will have a hard time monitoring the network to the degree many people would like. And Sprint will likely eventually discover that the site is overburdened and needs new carriers on its own. However, you would likely speed up the process by reporting it and get a ticket opened up. But if you want to wait until it works itself out, that's fine.

I was stuck at <3Mbps speeds on Verizon LTE for my hot spot for two weeks on one specific tower. After two weeks, I called them and reported it. The problem has been addressed and speeds are up to 9Mbps. I don't even know what they did, because I know they didn't add a LTE carrier.

I guess I could say that Verizon has a new state of the art LTE network and they just need to figure it out or I'm leaving. Or I can be realistic and report the issue. The choice is yours.

Some people are victims of their circumstances and run around and complain and throw up their arms. Others are victors over their circumstances and try to do something about it. Since you are a member of S4GRU, you have a lot of information to help you. What you choose to do with it is up to you.

• Like 3

th_Screenshot_2012-09-07-12-12-401.png

quite frankly, and based purely on my hundreds of phone calls to Sprint, they seem to know very little about what their equipment is doing at any given time. every device my wife and I own, including our friends in this neighborhood, all get atrocious data speeds. every call to Sprint is met with an unflinching, "everything is working perfectly." it's not until hours are spent on the phone arguing with Sprint that they'll acknowledge a problem exists and even then the subsequent results are dubious. one of the biggest hurdles between Sprint and its customer's satisfaction is that it can be extremely difficult for the customer to actually get his point across in a way that will lead to any action.

I've been complaining for years about poor data and dropped calls in my neighborhood.

It doesn't seem much ever gets done to improve the quality of service on the netwrok.

The only solution Sprint has for you is a free Airrave, the netowrk has only gotten worse over the years.

I wonder to myself sometimes how could they have let the sites be so neglected and overwhelmed?

Things like that don't just happen overnight, it's not just since the addition of the iPhone either.

I've been with Sprint for over 12 years but they keep erroding all the nice perks they used to offer and keep nickel and diming customers. I truly hope NV will be the saving grace it's promised to be. T-Mobile is looking pretty attractive lately.

I've been with Sprint for over 12 years but they keep erroding all the nice perks they used to offer and keep nickel and diming customers. I truly hope NV will be the saving grace it's promised to be. T-Mobile is looking pretty attractive lately.

I must admit T-Mobile is good but I think that their HSPA Network will slow down much like Sprint did when the EVO came out. Either that or I think that hey will go back to throttling LTE speeds and giving you unlimited HSPA because they don't want to constantly have to upgrade their network when the most data heavy users are slowing it down.

I've been complaining for years about poor data and dropped calls in my neighborhood.

It doesn't seem much ever gets done to improve the quality of service on the netwrok.

The only solution Sprint has for you is a free Airrave, the netowrk has only gotten worse over the years.

I wonder to myself sometimes how could they have let the sites be so neglected and overwhelmed?

Things like that don't just happen overnight, it's not just since the addition of the iPhone either.

I think Sprint put a lot into the Wimax deployment done by Clearwire, which helped in areas where you could get a signal. Unfortunately, their network didn't receive the attention it needed. They are now trying to correct the issue. NV is a huge project that should resolve the data issues in most cases. I believe NV will also give Sprint more proactive monitoring of their towers performance so hopefully they can fix issues before people notice.

• Like 2

...How do I do that?

While I realize there are a million towers here, the fact that I can see this particular tower out my window, (i.e. I am 100ft away from it), makes me doubt I would be connected to a different one. It was also down the other day (probably related to NV), which resulted in me only having 2 or 3 bars, as opposed to full signal which I have now (although I realize this displays 1X not Evdo signal).

It would think it should be illegal to say iphone 5 lte (provided iphone 5 does have lte) without explicitly telling people that lte isnt built until whenever in a person area.

It would think it should be illegal to say iphone 5 lte (provided iphone 5 does have lte) without explicitly telling people that lte isnt built until whenever in a person area.

So nearly all of Sprint's phones are "illegal" because they are called 4G or 4G LTE?

I highly doubt that they will even call the iPhone LTE. They might go the way of the iPad and just call it "iPhone"

• Like 2

Why? The device is LTE capable and works on LTE if the device goes into LTE coverage.

• Like 1

So nearly all of Sprint's phones are "illegal" because they are called 4G or 4G LTE?

I highly doubt that they will even call the iPhone LTE. They might go the way of the iPad and just call it "iPhone"

Same can be said for Verizon and AT&T as well.

The network is coming, we know it, Sprint knows it, Apple knows it, hell, there was an announcement just made yesterday that lists NYC.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Yonkers NY just north of the bronx. I've been following the forums and on Sundays I check like every 15 minutes for updates. Thanks Robert. I just checked my S3 and EVO LTE and for the first time my network type changed to eHRPD. Very happy to see progress over here. Can I assume the antennas have been upgraded? Is this a sign that Backhaul has also been completed?

Its nice to finally hear that we are showing signs of life for the deployment, this thread has become somewhat stagnant..As far as I know that is just in preparation of LTE..not necessarily meaning that its close to roll out, but progress nonetheless. What area of Yonkers did you receive the signal? I'm in the Bronx and have yet to see any eHRPD.

Edited by nexgencpu