LTE Coverage Map - Lawrenceville, Georgia 8/16/2012

S4GRU

Sprint LTE-1900 Coverage Map of Lawrenceville, GA area as of 8/16/2012

gallery_1_1_78612.jpg

And for comparison, here is Sprint's overly optimistic LTE coverage for the area. I used actual Sprint data for tower heights and figured range (downtilt) for sectors based on using 2/3 of the distance to the next adjacent tower.

Robert

gallery_1_1_134731.jpg

There is an interactive version of our Coverage Map in our Sponsor section. You can read this thread for more information about how to become a S4GRU Sponsor. Sponsorship gets you access to even more content.

S4GRU coverage maps created using CloudRF.com

Sprint LTE-1900 Coverage Map of Lawrenceville, GA area as of 8/16/2012

gallery_1_1_78612.jpg

And for comparison, here is Sprint's overly optimistic LTE coverage for the area. I used actual Sprint data for tower heights and figured range (downtilt) for sectors based on using 2/3 of the distance to the next adjacent tower.

Robert

gallery_1_1_134731.jpg

There is an interactive version of our Coverage Map in our Sponsor section. You can read this thread for more information about how to become a S4GRU Sponsor. Sponsorship gets you access to even more content.

S4GRU coverage maps created using CloudRF.com

Robert..I am very concerned about this. Does this mean that Sprint's maps will always be erroneous like this and that LTE will remain just as spotty as wimax currently is (at least until 800 mhz LTE is turned on next year)?? Or do you anticipiate these holes filling in over time, even at 1900 mhz, to eventually more closely mirror Sprint's fantastically conjured up coverage maps? I just am wondering if it's going to get better in the short term or is this the way it's gonna be - extremely spotty LTE a la wimax - until the next gen 800 mhz LTE devices being shipping. Thanks in advance for your input.

Robert..I am very concerned about this. Does this mean that Sprint's maps will always be erroneous like this and that LTE will remain just as spotty as wimax currently is (at least until 800 mhz LTE is turned on next year)?? Or do you anticipiate these holes filling in over time, even at 1900 mhz, to eventually more closely mirror Sprint's fantastically conjured up coverage maps? I just am wondering if it's going to get better in the short term or is this the way it's gonna be - extremely spotty LTE a la wimax - until the next gen 800 mhz LTE devices being shipping. Thanks in advance for your input.

Once all towers are upgraded and NV is complete, Sprint's maps will be accurate, however, right now Sprint is playing loose and fast with their coverage maps.

You are conflating two different issues: The accuracy of Sprint's maps and the completeness of the coverage to date. The sprint maps are over-optimistic, as Robert has stated and demonstrated matter-of-factly,

But future coverage is not the same as current coverage. I will repeat my comment from the parallel sponsor thread on this very topic:

And let me add a too-obvious observation for the benefit of those just tuning in: Remember that the map reflects the coverage as of yesterday (8/16/2012) and the rollout is still a work in progress. If you eyeball the sites on the total project map next to this one, you can see that the big coverage holes typically include towers that are not complete yet. As I understand the limitations of the CloudRF tool, it might not be possible to display coverage in this area as complete because there would be too many towers.

Robert..I am very concerned about this. Does this mean that Sprint's maps will always be erroneous like this and that LTE will remain just as spotty as wimax currently is (at least until 800 mhz LTE is turned on next year)?? Or do you anticipiate these holes filling in over time' date=' even at 1900 mhz, to eventually more closely mirror Sprint's fantastically conjured up coverage maps? I just am wondering if it's going to get better in the short term or is this the way it's gonna be - extremely spotty LTE a la wimax - until the next gen 800 mhz LTE devices being shipping. Thanks in advance for your input.[/quote']

Do not be concerned. Our map shows live coverage now, not expected coverage at completion. Sprint's LTE maps may be inaccurate, but that doesn't effect their network. In the Lawrenceville area depicted above, only approximately half of the sites are complete. There will be much more LTE coverage coming. The LTE network will be nothing like WiMax.

Sprint's LTE will be on more sites than the WiMax network. It will travel farther than WiMax. It will penetrate better than WiMax. Sprint LTE will be broadcast from almost every single site that 3G comes from now.

I also believe that Sprint will correct their coverage maps in the future. Poor coverage maps do not have any bearing on the fact that Atlanta is still an active deployment area. They are not even halfway done. More and more sites every week will be added to fill in the holes.

I'm just glad they are allowing us to use areas that are done now. But if Sprint could just learn the definition of the term launch.

I may create a complete build out coverage map of this area for your comparison, the next time I get a chance.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

You are conflating two different issues: The accuracy of Sprint's maps and the completeness of the coverage to date. The sprint maps are over-optimistic, as Robert has stated and demonstrated matter-of-factly,

But future coverage is not the same as current coverage. I will repeat my comment from the parallel sponsor thread on this very topic:

I am cleary very well aware that the future coverage isn't the same as current coverage. I think that speaks for itself. I am also clearly very well aware that it's been stated before that Sprint's maps are not exactly accurate. That was not the meat of my question so no need to repeat it. My question was will the holes fill in at the currently used 1900 mhz or will it require the use of the 800 mhz spectrum to match what Sprint shows. I think that was clear if you read the entire post I made (which really wasn't that long).

The forums are here for discussion so it seems a wild waste of time to take offense to said discussion. Thanks for you information anyway but my question still stands.

Edit: There was a delay in receiving your response, Robert, due to my faulty Comcast here at my house. My response here above wasn't directed at you, FYI. Thanks for your explanation by the way.

Edited by JonnygATL