What is eHRPD?

I hear you guys a lot talking about this and I have a basic understanding but could someone go a bit deeper on what it is and when it happens where do I see this on my phone that I am connected

• 1 month later...

So I see there are quite a few areas this week showing eHRPD firing up. I understand that it is software but how does that happen? Do Sprint engineers install on site? Do they have to be on site to download? Is it a change of equipment or the existing stuff, and does it mean antennas are in the air if you see this?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I say it out loud like I am the Swedish Chef and say "eee-hurhr-pee-duhr" and then follow up with some Swedish Chef ramblings.

Youz puts duh eeehurhpeeduhr in duhr cell er phone and down Dee data goes duh boom boom thrus dehr 4Geee core. Bork Bork.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 23

I say it out loud like I am the Swedish Chef and say "eee-hurhr-pee-duhr" and then follow up with some Swedish Chef ramblings.

Youz puts duh eeehurhpeeduhr in duhr cell er phone and down Dee data goes duh boom boom thrus dehr 4Geee core. Bork Bork.

Loooool! That's actually how one of my hisses from my old job used to talk.

-Luis

• Like 2

Any post incorporating Swedish Chef deserves at least 1000 likes. Since I can't grant more than one, I'll bestow upon you this goodness from Robot Chicken:

http://s60.photobucket.com/user/BigB26/media/RobotChicken-SwedishChef.mp4.html
  • Like 3

In all seriousness, here is a comprehensive understanding of eHRPD:

For the most part, eHRPD is EVDO-A. Both are 3G CDMA technology. EVDO is a High Rate Packet Data technology, and eHRPD is Evolved High Rate Packet Data. It is essentially the same exact technology, except eHRPD data is routed through the LTE core instead of the MSC (switch) so it can maintain the same IP address as LTE. This allows for data hand offs between LTE and 3G. Only LTE devices are capable of eHRPD connections.

eHRPD and EVDO-A are broadcast from the same tower on the same channel using the same technology and the same backhaul. It is one signal, not two different signals. However, if your device is in CDMA only mode (or you have a non-LTE device), your data from your device goes from the site through backhaul to a Sprint MSC switching center is processed and dumped out onto the internet backbone.

If your device is in CDMA/LTE mode and your site has been upgraded to eHRPD, when your device data gets to the site, it goes through the backhaul to a 4G LTE core instead of the MSC. There it is processed and dumped out onto the internet backbone.

So, the only difference in performance between eHRPD and EVDO-A on the same site occurs at the MSC vs. the LTE core. Everything else is pretty much identical between the two. Each site in the Sprint network is tied to a very specific MSC for 1x voice and EVDO data. Sprint has dozens of MSC's scattered around the country. When that MSC experiences problems or has a logjam, it affects all the sites connected to it. And EVDO can slow down (although this is not the big culprit in Sprint 3G deterioration).

In contrast to how the MSC's handle 1x and 3G EVDO data, 3G eHRPD and 4G LTE data are processed through 4G cores. Unlike MSC, sites are not limited to only one core. Sprint is setting up their 4G LTE cores to be dynamic. So if one core is too busy, data can be routed to a different under burdened core.

Performance between EVDO-A and eHRPD should be very similar when on the same channel from the same exact site. The most common difference is that eHRPD will often have faster ping times. And a MSC is more likely to bottleneck than an LTE core, so at peak times EVDO may be slightly slower than eHRPD (when all things are the same).

Some members will report that EVDO-A is substantially faster than eHRPD on the same device at the same time. When that happens, there are two possible issues that can cause this.

1. You are connected to different sites/carriers and not aware

2. You may need to change speed test servers

Whenever you change from CDMA only to CDMA/LTE, it forces your device to rescan all the channels available to your device. And in urban/suburban locations, there will likely be several sites available for your device to connect to. In many places, there may be dozens of channel/site connection scenarios that you can end up with.

This makes it extremely difficult to do an Apples to Apples comparison of eHRPD and EVDO. Because each channel and each site are going to have different loads. Vastly different. And thus will have very different performance. If you end up on eHRPD on a channel that is saturated (sector capacity or backhaul), then you could have poor performance. But if you end up connecting to a completely different EVDO channel (maybe even from another site) that is not having any issues, then you could have superior performance. But this would not be because of any difference between eHRPD and EVDO.

And it is quite possible where you are at, that eHRPD may not even be deployed at all on the site near you that is performing well, and you are getting eHRPD from a more distant site and thus the performance difference. There are a lot of variables here.

The best way to check this is to access your internal Debug menu and check the EVDO Engineering and eHRPD Engineering screens. Monitor which site/channel combinations you have with good and bad performance. They will likely be different.

Reason #2 above is also a common issue. You should change speed test servers that you use when comparing EVDO and eHRPD. And here is why...

Since EVDO connects to the internet at an MSC Center and eHRPD connects to the internet through a 4G core, they can be hundreds or even a thousand miles apart. So the speed test server that is ideal for EVDO data is not likely going to be ideal for the eHRPD.

The next time you get lesser eHRPD performance than EVDO, change your speed test servers. Try a good half dozen or so, expanding out a few hundred miles each time and see if the results improved. I did this when doing performance testing in the Waco FIT a few weeks ago and was surprised how different the speed tests were initially between EVDO and eHRPD on the same site/channel. However, switching eHRPD from a Ft. Worth speed test server to a Houston one and the eHRPD pulled roughly the same speeds as the EVDO.

• Like 15

However, if your device is in CDMA only mode (or you have a non-LTE device), your data from your device goes from the site through backhaul to a Sprint MSC switching center is processed and dumped out onto the internet backbone.

When you get the Q, you'll find this isn't the case... I and one other poster in another thread have both confirmed eHRPD connections even in CDMA only mode. Don't know if its just this one phone that's an enigma there or what.

Edit: Found where that was: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2243-ehrpd-live-in-abq-market/page__p__52546&do=findComment&comment=52546

• Like 1

My 3GS was getting eHRPD this past weekend back in Jacksonville, FL... pretty consistent throughout the Southside areas I was in all weekend.. I'll keep an eye out for 4G turn-on...

Back here in Charlotte, only CDMA in the areas I drive in...

My 3GS was getting eHRPD this past weekend back in Jacksonville, FL... pretty consistent throughout the Southside areas I was in all weekend.. I'll keep an eye out for 4G turn-on...

You mean the GSIII? I got confused for a second and thought that you had an iPhone 3GS, but then I looked at your phone's list.

-Luis

• Like 1

I read 3GS and it had me thinking iPhone 3GS. I had to rack my brain for 30 seconds to figure out what you meant. I've never seen the Galaxy S3 shortened that way, only GS3

up here in Salisbury i noticed that eHRPD wasn't showing up anymore. But it will come back after a radio reset. Doesn't seem to stick around though.

up here in Salisbury i noticed that eHRPD wasn't showing up anymore. But it will come back after a radio reset. Doesn't seem to stick around though.

We had the same thing happen here in New Mexico this morning. This is common for eHRPD to come and go after it shows up in markets.

Robert

This happened to me this morning, is there any reason why it comes and goes?

-Luis

Your guess is good as mine. But my guess is testing. I think they turned it on in several markets last week to see how it was working. Then turned it off when they concluded the testing. But I do not know for certain,

Robert

Your guess is good as mine. But my guess is testing. I think they turned it on in several markets last week to see how it was working. Then turned it off when they concluded the testing. But I do not know for certain,

Robert

I liked eHRPD. My data seemed to have been working much faster. Sadly I can't get it right now and my internet isn't working, so I'm calling Sprint so they can fix it.

-Luis

I liked eHRPD. My data seemed to have been working much faster. Sadly I can't get it right now and my internet isn't working, so I'm calling Sprint so they can fix it.

-Luis

eHRPD will only result in faster speeds over EVDO when the Sprint MSC is slowing down the data (which is pretty uncommon). Otherwise, if eHRPD is faster, it is a coincidence, not comparing apples to apples (like time of day) or you were on different sites and unaware. See this write up: http://s4gru.com/ind...dpost__p__52976

Robert

eHRPD will only result in faster speeds over EVDO when the Sprint MSC is slowing down the data (which is pretty uncommon). Otherwise, if eHRPD is faster, it is a coincidence, not comparing apples to apples (like time of day) or you were on different sites and unaware. See this write up: http://s4gru.com/ind...dpost__p__52976

Robert

Sorry I meant to say Ping times. Not the data, it was still around .4-.8mbps. I got pings as low as 87ms. I think that's pretty good.

-Luis

Sorry I meant to say Ping times. Not the data, it was still around .4-.8mbps. I got pings as low as 87ms. I think that's pretty good.

-Luis

eHRPD improves pings in most instances, because the LTE core is faster to process data packets than the MSC, and also the routing to the internet backbone is improved.

Robert