Anyone in the Northwest portion of CT?

Johnner1999

We used to have two members from Torrington. I haven't heard from them in a long time. Hopefully someone will come along and provide you an update of how things are in your area.

If things sound good, you considering jumping over a little early?

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I am usually only as far west as Riverton, but for the most part things are just fine, RT 219 between RT 20 and Pleasant Valley is spotty and roams somewhat, but really not too bad, has been better last two years then the two before those.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

thanks guys...

actually I have an S3 on its way from Amazon - and just wanted to see if I was going to be disappointed much lol

AT&T with HSPA+ is fast in the area around 4mbps down (but also has patches of late where it hits 400k and even EDEG is creeping back into the mix, maybe LTE work going on but I doubt it.

The lower fees with Sprint and no data cap is what drew me back (I left about 8 months ago and was getting about 100k)...

I'll report back later in the week-end

• Like 1

thanks guys...

actually I have an S3 on its way from Amazon - and just wanted to see if I was going to be disappointed much lol

AT&T with HSPA+ is fast in the area around 4mbps down (but also has patches of late where it hits 400k and even EDGE is creeping back into the mix, maybe LTE work going on but I doubt it.

The lower fees with Sprint and no data cap is what drew me back (I left about 8 months ago and was getting about 100k)...

I'll report back later in the week-end

Do you get any faster speeds with AT&T HSPA+? How high is your signal when you do a speedtest?

Do you get any faster speeds with AT&T HSPA+?

He says it in the very post you quoted, Howard.

Do you get any faster speeds with AT&T HSPA+? How high is your signal when you do a speedtest?

typically in my area its 4-5 bars, some only 1 bar, highest speed in my area on hspa+ was 6.14 down and at the same time 1.74 up.

Most 2-4 down is typical.

I know evdo is 1.5 down or so max... in all honesty 800-1.2 down is all I care about as long as I can stream with no issues I'm happy

typically in my area its 4-5 bars, some only 1 bar, highest speed in my area on hspa+ was 6.14 down and at the same time 1.74 up.

Most 2-4 down is typical.

I know evdo is 1.5 down or so max... in all honesty 800-1.2 down is all I care about as long as I can stream with no issues I'm happy

That is a little slow compare to T-Mobile HSPA+.

That is a little slow compare to T-Mobile HSPA+.

It's not a good comparison between Tmo HSPA+ results in Houston to AT&T results in rural CT.

• Like 2

It's not a good comparison between Tmo HSPA+ results in Houston to AT&T results in rural CT.

so true where i live in CT T-Mobile has only 2G coverage and it takes a lot more towers to cover the same area because we have hills and lots of foliage.
  • Like 1

I was in Torrington about 2 months ago but have moved since. However I have a pretty good idea of what it is like there.

You will generally roam a lot unless you are near a large town, Verizon has much better coverage now (sprint was better until Alltel moved away and verizon got their hands on 800mhz). In Torrington in particular data on sprint is horrendous. There is really only one tower serving most of the downtown area and it is so overloaded that texts fail, and speedtests do not even load. It is literally the worst spot I have ever been in as far as sprint 3g data performance goes. Uptown near the walmart there is another tower that is also horribly loaded, but not as bad (200k-400k, texts don't fail).

• Like 1

I was in Torrington about 2 months ago but have moved since. However I have a pretty good idea of what it is like there.

You will generally roam a lot unless you are near a large town, Verizon has much better coverage now (sprint was better until Alltel moved away and verizon got their hands on 800mhz). In Torrington in particular data on sprint is horrendous. There is really only one tower serving most of the downtown area and it is so overloaded that texts fail, and speedtests do not even load. It is literally the worst spot I have ever been in as far as sprint 3g data performance goes. Uptown near the walmart there is another tower that is also horribly loaded, but not as bad (200k-400k, texts don't fail).

major FOF (frown on face)

hmmm

It looks like some recent work has been done and more in the near future. https://network.spri...rrington%2C+ct/

It many already be somewhat better.

Robert

No, that has been there for WELL OVER six months already LOL. As have all the upgrades for the Waterbury, CT area. It appears they are not actually doing much of ANYTHING in CT. O well, good thing I moved to nyc

• Like 1

well tis didn't go no where near as planned…. long story short I'd never buy a phone via Amazon again!

Box arrived (left at door) open box and everything looks smashed except the phone - since it wasn't in the box! 2 house later after leaving my local police dept amazon is giving me the run around and this sucks! I know 1st world problem but still :-)

No, that has been there for WELL OVER six months already LOL. As have all the upgrades for the Waterbury, CT area. It appears they are not actually doing much of ANYTHING in CT. O well, good thing I moved to nyc

That sort of fits — when I switched to Sprint when the 1st eve came out has awesome speeds….. most of last year was in 100kb range so after a ticket being open for close to 4 months I ported out! I was hoping 6-8 months later (about a year in total) it would be improved. What to do what to do…. I wish I could trust the Vision plans - I would wait out a few months of no service, but thats about it. AT&T is waving my ETFs at the moment so I want to use this pop but maybe I'll stick with AT&T and upgrade to the shared plan and take the 10GB which to be cost over kill but I'll stop drinking soda and coffee in the morning I suppose…

Just picked up an iPhone on sale at RadioShack and so far in my area of town I'm pulling down around 1.2-1.6MB on EVDO which I think is crazy fast for Sprint in this area! I hope they update the other tower(s) as Robert stated since those areas I'm getting at best 200K and so far (a whopping hour and half lol) about 90-110k down which is "appalling" in my mind. Tomorrow I pick up my device a Galaxy Nexus (free at Sprint) and hope I enjoy Android :-) My wife didn't even want to try it so she is on an iPhone still (which I will most likely miss but at least I'll have a great reason to get the next iPhone due out shortly it seems.

• Like 1

well for what its worth - it seems more people use the network on Mondays than sundays lol — speeds today dropped off to about 80kb (some spikes to 200kb) and since I have already ported from AT&T my wife would go ballistic if I switched back now lol. I hope the NV updates planned for October+ actually pan out otherwise I have a iPod Touch with a expensive monthly bill :-)

• Like 1