Network Vision/LTE - Richmond & Southern Virginia Markets

darrellbooker

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know when Lynchburg,VA will be getting LTE...... new here and I have tried to find ANY info on my city and so far I have had no luck! Thanks in advance for any help.

I could be wrong on this, but I think Lynchburg is in the NTelos footprint.  NTelos is also upgrading their network to 4G LTE. but there has been some disagreement between Sprint on how fast that should occur.  Sprint is also doing some overbuilding in the NTelos region, which might get NTelos to move a little faster. 

I have a dilemma then, that maybe you guys could help with regarding this issue.

I talked to Ntelos corporate yesterday and they said they had not started building 4G out yet and could not confirm when they would. Much less when it would be in Lynchburg. That being said I would think Lynchburg would be one of the first in their 4G rollout since it is one of the biggest cities they cover.

My main questions are .... should I continue to wait for this 4G rollout and do you think the speeds through Ntelos will be up to par with other 4G providers. I have T-MO, Verizon and US Cellular 4G offered in my area.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys give.

I work near VCC, and drive up and down Brook Rd a lot, but still have no 4G in that area. No idea why.

HTC Evo 4G LTE

I was just passing through that area for work.

Not sure why you dont see it. And even sensory shows 4G LTE in that area.

egyda4ez.jpg

Sent from Under water

Edited by speedin07si

Oh wow, I should be all up in the 4G.  I have LTE enabled, this is weird.  

I have this problem sometimes in Richmond.  Usually I toggle Airplane Mode, then toggle out of it, and it connects right to the 4G

I have a dilemma then, that maybe you guys could help with regarding this issue.

I talked to Ntelos corporate yesterday and they said they had not started building 4G out yet and could not confirm when they would. Much less when it would be in Lynchburg. That being said I would think Lynchburg would be one of the first in their 4G rollout since it is one of the biggest cities they cover.

My main questions are .... should I continue to wait for this 4G rollout and do you think the speeds through Ntelos will be up to par with other 4G providers. I have T-MO, Verizon and US Cellular 4G offered in my area.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys give.

It depends, I will make an assumption that you are not locked into a contract (or dont mind paying an ETF)

Then it is going to depend how much data you use and how much you will consume on 4g.  If the data caps are going to be a big concern, then you should probably stay where you are.  But if 4G availability is the overriding factor and you dont want to wait a year or more, I would jump to Verizon. 

I so wisely invested in a Samsung Galaxy S4 barely a month ago, so I am currently stuck with Sprint, and it looks like absolutely no priority to do anything 4G in Central Virginia. I am currently wishing I had gone with Verizon, there is usable Verizon 4G LTE in my neighborhood and at the rural Drive In theater I frequent.  Sprint just isnt there, and sadly, looks like NTelos is way behind even them.

It depends, I will make an assumption that you are not locked into a contract (or dont mind paying an ETF)

Then it is going to depend how much data you use and how much you will consume on 4g. If the data caps are going to be a big concern, then you should probably stay where you are. But if 4G availability is the overriding factor and you dont want to wait a year or more, I would jump to Verizon.

I so wisely invested in a Samsung Galaxy S4 barely a month ago, so I am currently stuck with Sprint, and it looks like absolutely no priority to do anything 4G in Central Virginia. I am currently wishing I had gone with Verizon, there is usable Verizon 4G LTE in my neighborhood and at the rural Drive In theater I frequent. Sprint just isnt there, and sadly, looks like NTelos is way behind even them.

I'm trying to stay patient, it's starting to pop up in different parts richmond and chesterfield. Btw the goochland drive in theater is a nice place.

Sent from Under water

Then it is going to depend how much data you use and how much you will consume on 4g.  If the data caps are going to be a big concern, then you should probably stay where you are.  But if 4G availability is the overriding factor and you dont want to wait a year or more, I would jump to Verizon. 

I so wisely invested in a Samsung Galaxy S4 barely a month ago, so I am currently stuck with Sprint, and it looks like absolutely no priority to do anything 4G in Central Virginia. I am currently wishing I had gone with Verizon, there is usable Verizon 4G LTE in my neighborhood and at the rural Drive In theater I frequent.  Sprint just isnt there, and sadly, looks like NTelos is way behind even them.

Thanks for the reply first and for most! 

Also I apologize for not saying so earlier but yes I am out of contract (successfully got Sprint to end all my contracts (5 lines) when they changed their TOS a couple of months ago. 

An update as far as the cellular situation goes. I am going to go to Verizon! I am sorry but I just can not and for that matter will not wait realistically 1-2 years for 4G in my area. By then Verizon will be half way through their LTE advanced network most likely. Which is really a shame as I have had pretty good customer service from Sprint through the years. Data caps are not a really big deal to me as the two lines I am going to take to Verizon will only use about 4gb/month hopefully.

I think the deal breaker for me was when I had a friend who just switched to Verizon come over the other day. We ran a speed test in my house, which is in a rural part of the area right outside of Lynchburg, and got 30 Mbps burst and it held at 23 Mbps. Those are speeds that even when Ntelos upgrades the towers here, they will most likely NEVER hit. 

On a side note I am sorry to hear you are stuck in contract with them. Plus side of it is, you have a truely Bad@ss phone! Thanks again for the replies!

Thanks for the reply first and for most! 

Also I apologize for not saying so earlier but yes I am out of contract (successfully got Sprint to end all my contracts (5 lines) when they changed their TOS a couple of months ago. 

An update as far as the cellular situation goes. I am going to go to Verizon! I am sorry but I just can not and for that matter will not wait realistically 1-2 years for 4G in my area. By then Verizon will be half way through their LTE advanced network most likely. Which is really a shame as I have had pretty good customer service from Sprint through the years. Data caps are not a really big deal to me as the two lines I am going to take to Verizon will only use about 4gb/month hopefully.

I think the deal breaker for me was when I had a friend who just switched to Verizon come over the other day. We ran a speed test in my house, which is in a rural part of the area right outside of Lynchburg, and got 30 Mbps burst and it held at 23 Mbps. Those are speeds that even when Ntelos upgrades the towers here, they will most likely NEVER hit. 

On a side note I am sorry to hear you are stuck in contract with them. Plus side of it is, you have a truely Bad@ss phone! Thanks again for the replies!

Yeah it's tough to wait, but when 4g does show up it's usually pretty good.  Out in the short pump area I was getting a consistent 20Mbps and it's the same in the tidewater area and up in Northern Va.  They just need to get theses deployments going here in Richmond.

Yeah it's tough to wait, but when 4g does show up it's usually pretty good.  Out in the short pump area I was getting a consistent 20Mbps and it's the same in the tidewater area and up in Northern Va.  They just need to get theses deployments going here in Richmond.

If I am not mistaken the Richmond area is on a whole completely different network than my area. Our are is covered by Ntelos and the Richmond area is covered by Shentel? (not sure on that). My only point is, Ntelos is a really,really small carrier that doesn't have much money to spend. So I suspect their 4G rollout will be super slow and the 4G speeds will most likely be subpar. 

That is just some deductive reasoning on my part though, I could be totally wrong!

Hey guys... Don't think this was mentioned, but LTE is showing up in the area of Staples Mill Rd (near Anthem) to Mr. Sub on W. Broad St. From W. Broad to Westwood Ave to Saunders Ave (past the Richmond Technical Center) to Laburnum Ave, LTE is showing for all of that area, as well as Hermitage Rd past Bryan Park, cutting off before you get to BB&T. Hopefully this is a good sign of things to come for central Virginia and LTE.

• Like 4

If I am not mistaken the Richmond area is on a whole completely different network than my area. Our are is covered by Ntelos and the Richmond area is covered by Shentel? (not sure on that). My only point is, Ntelos is a really,really small carrier that doesn't have much money to spend. So I suspect their 4G rollout will be super slow and the 4G speeds will most likely be subpar. 

That is just some deductive reasoning on my part though, I could be totally wrong!

Just FYI, Richmond is Sprint.  Shentel covers basically I81 at harrisonburg and points north. Everything on 81 south of that is nTelos. 

• Like 1

I think the tower out near the Drive-in theater on I64 West could be underway.. At least, it looked quite different than I remember.  I am going to have to find my camera though to take a picture to compare.  But it isnt fully up yet as 4G in any case. 

• Like 1

I mapped quite a bit the last 2 days in and around the City some of Broad St. at Hermitage all of Hermitage Rd. Then going down Robin Hood Rd. to Brookland Park and Brook Rd. and turning on Laburnum up to Chamberlayne. Keeping my eyes open for more I'll try to keep updating when I do.

Edited by SS_snowboarder
  • Like 1

I got LTE on West Broad by VCU today, near Lowe's.  Walked East on Broad towards campus and got nothing but 1x until I got to Shafer and Broad, then it finally switched me back to 3G

Did you get a chance to do a speed test? That's very exciting!! Hopefully it'll be on the main campus soon! :)

no didn't get a chance to do a speed test, may walk back that way later today and try though. LTE is available all the way up Boulevard past the Diamond now though. I also got it briefly in the Manchester area