Network Vision/LTE - Richmond & Southern Virginia Markets

darrellbooker

Charlottesville is definitely Central VA, and its not listed (yet?!). In fact, I don't see "Central VA" even on that page. It's really the Richmond area, Hampton Roads, and the Shenandoah Valley (which extends east only as far as Waynesboro).

ntelos list Central va as active 4G LTE

http://www.ntelos.com/network

I drove through Waynesboro and Staunton last weekend and had 3G service, so I'm assuming they haven't opened it up to Sprint users yet. I'm heading that way again next weekend so I'll see if anything changes by then.

Sent from my Note 4.

I drove through Waynesboro and Staunton last weekend and had 3G service, so I'm assuming they haven't opened it up to Sprint users yet. I'm heading that way again next weekend so I'll see if anything changes by then.

Sent from my Note 4.

No it thought it was ironic that they say they have LTE in Richmond when it really sprint Network in Richmond. That the part of the list I chuckled at.

No it thought it was ironic that they say they have LTE in Richmond when it really sprint Network in Richmond. That the part of the list I chuckled at.

Yeah, same with most of the Shenandoah Valley towns and cities they listed, which are in the Shentel market. It seems to not be fair that ntelos customers can use Sprint's network but ntelos doesn't allow the reverse.

Sent from my Note 4.

Charlottesville is definitely Central VA, and its not listed (yet?!). In fact, I don't see "Central VA" even on that page. It's really the Richmond area, Hampton Roads, and the Shenandoah Valley (which extends east only as far as Waynesboro).

except that part of west central Va belongs to Ntelos. Drive over to Gordansville exit off 64 west and you are on Sprint turf. 

Yeah, same with most of the Shenandoah Valley towns and cities they listed, which are in the Shentel market. It seems to not be fair that ntelos customers can use Sprint's network but ntelos doesn't allow the reverse.

Sent from my Note 4.

yeah, exactly. I went out to Massanutten but I had to drive through Ntelos territory and it was brutal

Sent from my Note 4.

I should probably clarify this to say LTE. Obviously ntelos allows the use of their 3G network to Sprint's customers.

Sent from my Note 4.

• 2 weeks later...

In Richmond we are getting lte in areas. My question is when they decide to flip the switch will we see a stronger signal?

Sprint doesn't "flip a switch" to light up a market like other providers have done. Individual towers come online as they are ready.

Sent from my Note 4.

True, but they do come back to tune the towers later. So power output, transmitter directions, adding more carriers, etc. is all done after tower is up and running. Could be months afterward. 

• 2 weeks later...

So the water tower next to the old Clover Hill High School started broadcasting LTE this week. You can now get a LTE signal from past woodlake most of the way into Richmond along 360. Don't know when it'll pop up on Robert's updates list but it should be soon. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I'm back living in this area after staying in Atlanta for 6 months I see that the network has improved in the Brandermill/New Clover Hill High area. So I just got upgraded to the Electric Blue s5 and it's Spark enabled every Couple of hours I'll connect to 15 mins worth of Spark on band 41 aka TDD LTE it's not the best indoors but great on the porch. I'm still not sure why my phone hasn't Picked up standard 1900 LTE but on 41 i have maxed to 5.25 down & 1.30 up with about 2 Bars. What's the average is with band 41? Now 3G has also greatly improved from 6 months ago however i am also receiving abnormal data speeds like the fastest 3g speed i have is 1.46 Down & .81 up. Remember I'm not complaining 3G is nice but i have a speedtest I can't understand having 4 bars getting 1.56 down and 0.00 up??? Is there some testing going on with 3G or what it's 2am the 3G network should be at godspeed. Not complaining just curious about the tower on genito.

Edited by Raheim_M4

How has spark speeds been in your area in Richmond or Counties

Extremely weird in normal mode my phone finds Band 41, and 3G. However My phone refuses to connect to Band 25 when operating in normal mode meanwhile my moms Note 3 has no time finding that signal and It can actually sit on band 25 longer than me on band 41 my phone bounces between the two signals and I always get 1 bar of TDDLTE even when on the property of the tower on Genito.

How has spark speeds been in your area in Richmond or Counties

Consistently fast in Henrico and downtown Richmond. I personally can't believe it myself but I've also been consistently getting speeds in the 150+ Mbps during peak hours in areas with spark (pretty much everywhere in Henrico and Richmond that I travel to). 

2015-02-25 17.50.17.jpg