HTC EVO lte connection issues

dpullen

Really hope this issue gets fixed I still want an EVO LTE! Didn't someone on this thread say that when they put it on LTE/CDMA it worked better than when on CDMA/LTE it was worse? If so couldn't HTC make a software update or radio update for the phone or something.

Really hope this issue gets fixed I still want an EVO LTE! Didn't someone on this thread say that when they put it on LTE/CDMA it worked better than when on CDMA/LTE it was worse? If so couldn't HTC make a software update or radio update for the phone or something.

Do you mean CDMA/LTE versus LTE only? What you've said doesn't make sense.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Do you mean CDMA/LTE versus LTE only? What you've said doesn't make sense.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

uh I guess. I thought someone said they can put it in lte/CDMA mode to make it search for lte first or something i don't know. I haven't been able to keep up as much since I've been on my iPhone ever since my laptop broke.

If you were to put the EVO in LTE only mode and drove away from an LTE site while also testing an SGS3 (or any other LTE phone) would they both lose the signal around the same time? That might make it more clear if the problem is hardware or software.

• Like 1

If you use the *#*#4636#*#* from the dialer menu and change from CDMA +LTE/EVDO Auto to LTE,CDMA you will hold on to LTE signals much longer. I was just up in Manhattan KS testing this. I was able to hold on to LTE up until -130 dBm RSRP. This will still at least allow you to get voice and text as well. As soon as you fall out of LTE you will switch to 1X.

• Like 1

A couple more picture comparisons taken from friendly spot in king William. EVO never went into 4g even after restart. The speed test was started at the same time.

20120930_134302-vi.png

photo-vi.png

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

im wondering if this whole LTE scanning issue is HTC trying too hard to have great battery life on this device. I remember when I got my OG EVO that the battery life was really bad, like 6 hours of normal usage bad. On this device HTC went overboard with multitasking to kill tasks to save battery life. Then when people started complaining they said the phone was working like it should. I wonder if they are programming the phone to favor 3g over LTE to save even more battery life?

im wondering if this whole LTE scanning issue is HTC trying too hard to have great battery life on this device. I remember when I got my OG EVO that the battery life was really bad, like 6 hours of normal usage bad. On this device HTC went overboard with multitasking to kill tasks to save battery life. Then when people started complaining they said the phone was working like it should. I wonder if they are programming the phone to favor 3g over LTE to save even more battery life?

The EVO LTE had connectivity issues before it even left the lab: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-169-evo-lte-pre-order-under-way-with-ship-dates-as-soon-as-may-15th/

And with all the heat HTC and Sprint are getting, they would certainly make adjustments for connectivity over battery performance. There have been more than a dozen EVO owners in this forum who have returned their devices because of it. This is not a minor trivial setting issue.

Robert

• Like 1

I know HTC is under lot of heat, but it hasn't seemed to change anything for them. Locked bootloaders, not releasing source to developers in a timely manner. We have the same chipset as the Galaxy S3 and it's LTE works fine. If it's a software issue it should have been fixed already. That article is almost 5 months old now, even if it was a hardware issue, that should have been figured out by now.

• Like 7

Heat? What heat? I don't see much noise about it on tech news sites. Sprint just shrugs it off saying the LTE service is new.

If they really knew about it I am sure the problem would have been fixed already.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Heat? What heat? I don't see much noise about it on tech news sites. Sprint just shrugs it off saying the LTE service is new.

If they really knew about it I am sure the problem would have been fixed already.

They have known about it since lab testing: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-169-evo-lte-pre-order-under-way-with-ship-dates-as-soon-as-may-15th/

Robert

• Like 1

A couple more picture comparisons taken from friendly spot in king William. EVO never went into 4g even after restart. The speed test was started at the same time.

Hey cbalter, King William Virginia?

No one answered my question about the issue appearing on other carrier EVO LTE/HOX variants? I'm surprised by HTC that it hasn't been fixed fast? Since I live in a non-LTE area I would rather have Jelly Bean but I'm sure for those in LTE areas a fix would probably be more welcome?

I'm sorry. I'm in San Antonio Texas. King William is an old neighborhood south of downtown. And the Friendly Spot is a neighborhood patio/bar.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

No one answered my question about the issue appearing on other carrier EVO LTE/HOX variants? I'm surprised by HTC that it hasn't been fixed fast? Since I live in a non-LTE area I would rather have Jelly Bean but I'm sure for those in LTE areas a fix would probably be more welcome?

I have not heard of this on any other HOX variants.

Sent from my LTE loving (if I road trip) Evo 4G LTE...

I'm sorry. I'm in San Antonio Texas. King William is an old neighborhood south of downtown. And the Friendly Spot is a neighborhood patio/bar.

been a while since i was down there. i should have snapped some pics earlier while i was at castroville airport. ip5 picked it up about half a mile away and held it the whole time. dang evo picked it up literally 5 minutes after we got to our hanger and if i walked or rode the dune buggy or 4wheeler 2 hangers over it would lose it.

been a while since i was down there. i should have snapped some pics earlier while i was at castroville airport. ip5 picked it up about half a mile away and held it the whole time. dang evo picked it up literally 5 minutes after we got to our hanger and if i walked or rode the dune buggy or 4wheeler 2 hangers over it would lose it.

Was in Castroville last weekend! Ip5 had lte driving most of the way up Hwy 90 and into town while EVO was 3g the entire way. That's when I realized there were many more active lte towers around SA then my EVO was connecting to.

• Like 1

Yes but they and Sprint believe they fixed it. They are both in denial that it still exists.

• Like 2

Yes but they and Sprint believe they fixed it. They are both in denial that it still exists.

What makes you believe they are in denial? I am willing to wait for another radio update but if they think there is no problem I will bother them until they give me a different device.

Sent from my Nexus 7

So I just read this whole thread after only being slightly familliar with the discrepancy in lte signals from phone to phone.

what I believe I just read is that the Evo Lte has the same chipset (aka physical radios) as the GSIII and due to poor software settings (aka software radios/settings/tunings/etc) the phone doesn't perform as well as the similarly equipped GSIII?

if so, that is much worse than my original understanding if the hardware is the same, yet the evo lte cant keep up.

a software/radio update should be issued ASAP for something so simple (assuming i'm understanding correctly). If it was a hardware issue, that would be diff, but software....thats rather disappointing.

What makes you believe they are in denial? I am willing to wait for another radio update but if they think there is no problem I will bother them until they give me a different device.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Sprint is at least in denial. I spoke to a person who is the escalated contact for service and repair stores (yes he really is I pinky swear) in New England and I asked him about this issue. He stated the last update fixed the issue which I politely disagreed with. I did convince him to pass this up the chain but will anything come of it?

I've made several phone calls and worked myself up the CSR "chain". I got the typical "it's the new network", blah blah..."that was fixed in the last update". No one would admit there was a problem.

Sprint is at least in denial. I spoke to a person who is the escalated contact for service and repair stores (yes he really is I pinky swear) in New England and I asked him about this issue. He stated the last update fixed the issue which I politely disagreed with. I did convince him to pass this up the chain but will anything come of it?

That's all we can do is keep trying and get the tickets opened. Have to make some noise otherwise they think its fixed up and working fine.

I am really thinking about switching to another device. I'm really disappointed because other then the data issues I really love this phone.

Me too. I will probably stick with it til the note 2 comes out.

• Like 1

I have a question for the "techies" that understand Sprint's Network Vision cell site equipment. We are blaming the HTC EVO LTE phone for several problems. It will not hold on to the LTE signal in weak areas and it also will not find LTE for us in weak areas. It is much worse in both areas compared to the Samsung Galaxy S III. See my earlier post in this thread.

Now my question -- Could the Sprint cell site equipment be controlling these phones and not allowing them to switch to the LTE Signal??? Is it possible that the cell site equipment is looking at the signals from the phone and making a judgement that the user would be better off remaining on 3G. There probably has to be some type of handshake and agreement between the phone and cell site equipment and maybe the Core Switch.

Maybe it is Sprint that is not allowing the phones to access the LTE unless the signal from the phone meets some requirement.

One thing for sure, the HTC phone is not performing nearly as well as the Samsung. I tested this extensively and actually dumped the HTC phone back in Sprint's lap. I now have the Samsung Gaxaxy S III. A much better phone.

It will actually hold on to the Sprint LTE signal for about 1/2 mile further range all around a cell site. This is a very big item as this also probably means it will hold on to a connection as you walk into a building too.

The Samsung also has an issue with initially connecting to the LTE in a weak area, but it is much better at finding and connecting to the LTE than the HTC. I proved this time and time again. I did find that the Samsung phone would stay connected to an extremely weak LTE signal and it held on while I ran speed tests that failed because the signal was so weak. This could actually be a negative as who wants to hold on to a weak signal that will not work while a good 3G signal may be in the neighborhood.

Since both phones have an issue connecting to a weak LTE signal, could Sprint itself be causing some of this issue with the way the Network Vision software is configured. Could Sprint have some reason to want users with weak signals to use the 3G over the LTE??