HTC EVO lte connection issues

dpullen

If you go to ##3282# and change your data settings to lte only, it would stay connected just fine even at lower signal strengths(of course this has been mentioned many times before). So this right here should prove that its not a hardware issue but rather software. For whatever reason on the evo lte once the lte signal gets to a certain point the phone will give priority to the stronger 3g signal even though the weaker lte signal is faster. Again, this has been stated many times already, and sprint/htc knows this and this is why this particular issue is so frustrating to me.

• Like 3

Has anyone tried changing both LTE options in ##3282# to 1? I did that this morning and during my commute in to work it seemed to switch to 4g in an area it never had before and kept it constantly until I was about four miles from the tower. I only encounter one area during my commute that has 4g so it may have been a coincidence. Has anyone else tried those settings?

I did not do any airplane mode/reboots to force it to 4g.

Sent from my EVO LTE

Has anyone tried changing both LTE options in ##3282# to 1? I did that this morning and during my commute in to work it seemed to switch to 4g in an area it never had before and kept it constantly until I was about four miles from the tower. I only encounter one area during my commute that has 4g so it may have been a coincidence. Has anyone else tried those settings?

I did not do any airplane mode/reboots to force it to 4g.

Sent from my EVO LTE

Just to be clear, are you talking about the LTE scan timer and BSR max timer?

I’m not sure what was going on last night, but my phone was automatically connecting fairly well on its own (relatively speaking). This was in an area where I hadn’t been before when 4G was active. This was with my scan timer and max timer set to 15 and 8, respectively. However, with these same settings, my phone was still having issues picking up LTE on my way to work through active areas.

Is it possible that the EVO might only connect to towers in a certain area? Is there a difference between the towers in the Lake County area and the ones in the Palatine/Arlington Heights area? According to the maps, I apparently connected to towers with a different RF switch more easily.

I tried this on my phone but it asks for a password to access the edit menu. What is the password?

It’s your MSL password. You need to download “MSL Reader” from the app store if you’re rooted. Otherwise, you’ll have to call Sprint.

Just to be clear, are you talking about the LTE scan timer and BSR max timer?

I’m not sure what was going on last night, but my phone was automatically connecting fairly well on its own (relatively speaking). This was in an area where I hadn’t been before when 4G was active. This was with my scan timer and max timer set to 15 and 8, respectively. However, with these same settings, my phone was still having issues picking up LTE on my way to work through active areas.

Is it possible that the EVO might only connect to towers in a certain area? Is there a difference between the towers in the Lake County area and the ones in the Palatine/Arlington Heights area? According to the maps, I apparently connected to towers with a different RF switch more easily.

Yeah, those were the settings I was talking about.

I guess it is possible, however I pass by this same area twice a day. (route 62 by Hoffman Estates). It was the first time I had seen 4g in this area while in my car.

If more people are experiencing this maybe something changed on Sprint's side?

Sent from my EVO LTE

I believe it is software as well... It needs to be fixed though! Needs to be their number one priority.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn’t we contact HTC directly? Aren’t they the ones that tailor the phones to the specific carriers’ frequencies? I would hope that the complaint handling process is not set up so that the problems can only be reported through the carrier…

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn’t we contact HTC directly? Aren’t they the ones that tailor the phones to the specific carriers’ frequencies? I would hope that the complaint handling process is not set up so that the problems can only be reported through the carrier…

This is the usual HTC response on issues:

Dear Lee,

Good afternoon Lee, I understand the importance of being able to connect to LTE. Unfortunately, we do not have any update releases for the Evo 4G LTE at this time. You can keep up to date on when updates will be out on our Facebook and Twitter websites, along with our community page at http://www.htc.com/support. I hope you have a great day and I do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause for you. If you have any other questions or concerns please let me know and I will further assist you. Lee, your voice is the most important part of HTC. If I have answered all of your questions today, I would love to invite you to fill out our feedback survey. You can access the survey by clicking the link below to close your ticket. When you close the ticket the survey will be offered.

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

William

HTC

If you can actually get through to someone knowledgeable and can help, that might be a different story.

Exactly.. Contact sprint they are the ones you pay. You don't pay HTC. Have them open a ticket.

If you do not have them open a ticket(and receive your ticket#), your phone call was absolutely useless. Very important to get a ticket opened. If I was in an LTE area I would be jerking that tech support chain every single day.

Exactly.. Contact sprint they are the ones you pay. You don't pay HTC. Have them open a ticket.

If you do not have them open a ticket(and receive your ticket#)' date=' your phone call was absolutely useless. Very important to get a ticket opened. If I was in an LTE area I would be jerking that tech support chain every single day.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge[/quote']

I call every other day about no lte in moundridge or Hesston even though that's where the tower is and maps clearly show it as active. I have tickets open on that issue lol

(I'm nice about it when I call)

Sent from my Evo LTE or SSGS3 using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I call every other day about no lte in moundridge or Hesston even though that's where the tower is and maps clearly show it as active. I have tickets open on that issue lol

(I'm nice about it when I call)

Sent from my Evo LTE or SSGS3 using Forum Runner

Word from sprint technical support (on one of the tickets) is "LTE is active on tower, however only in TEST MODE for next week or two as they finalize some settings, at which point we will be able to connect to it" :rolleyes:

I say is false-advertising LTE there until it is active for people to connect to, next thing i hear is a "CLICK" LOL

Word from sprint technical support (on one of the tickets) is "LTE is active on tower, however only in TEST MODE for next week or two as they finalize some settings, at which point we will be able to connect to it" :rolleyes:

I say is false-advertising LTE there until it is active for people to connect to, next thing i hear is a "CLICK" LOL

Test mode? Is that code for blocking LTE connections? They should never show coverage from sites they are actively blocking. That's pretty crazy.

Robert

• Like 1

Just drove to an known LTE area in the western suburbs of Chicago, never had a problem picking up LTE on its own. I was watching the signal readings and it always popped up between -105 and -115 db. Is this consistant with other phones like the S3 and Nexus?

Makes you wonder if that LTE list in ##DATA# is some poorly implemented method of the phone to know if it should scan for LTE or not in the area based on the 1X BSID it is hooked to....hmmmm....

I wonder if that's the case. My white EVO picks up LTE on its own here in Houston, but I'm usually in the same areas. If the EVO LTE has a lower threshold for switching back to ehrpd then it will definitely affect indoor coverage.

interesting.............im up here in north austin/cedar park area visiting my sister in law...

heres my daughters ip5

IMG_0008_zpsd400a054.png

now heres my evo......no lte, but look at the weather, says im still in san antonio, its set to update every hour and this morning it was saying austin..and this was after i did a airplane mode switch to try and get it to pick up lte.

2012-09-29164649_zpse3742e13.png

I wonder if that's the case. My white EVO picks up LTE on its own here in Houston, but I'm usually in the same areas. If the EVO LTE has a lower threshold for switching back to ehrpd then it will definitely affect indoor coverage.

The evo will sometimes switch to LTE, it just doesn't do it enough like it should.

The evo will sometimes switch to LTE, it just doesn't do it enough like it should.

In our Waco FIT testing, it would connect on its own about 25% of the time. However, it was always the last device to find LTE on its own.

Robert

• Like 1

OK, here is my comparison of the HTC EVO LTE to the Samsung Galaxy S III. About 10 days ago, just one single LTE site was activated in Hagerstown, Md. I was nursing an old phone and just waiting for LTE to hit the area. I immediately obtained a nice new HTC EVO LTE based on the reputation of previous HTC phones.

I had some time to play around, so I first made sure I had the latest software and then I installed the Sensorly app. I started driving around this new cell site to see how the coverage was and how far I could get from the site. I was disappointed. I knew it was going to be less coverage area than the 3G, but I did not expect the coverage area to be so small. Looking at the Sensory mapping after a drive around the area really showed how poor it was. I started to get into the debug menu and the engineering menus to look at signal strength, etc. As I drove away from the site, as the signal strength fell to -109, I would lose the LTE. Again, this did not sound right to me and this web site sort of verified that my sickening feeling was warranted. To make things worse, as I would turn around and drive back the same path toward the cell site, the phone would not find any LTE for quite some time and I might have to get within a block or two of the site before the LTE would show up again.

Sometimes I would pull over into a parking lot and toggle airplane mode in an attempt to get LTE back. Sometimes this worked and sometimes it did not. Sometimes I would see the 4G ICON appear and just as quick, the phone would revert to 3G.

I traveled several routes repeatedly and the LTE would drop every time at about the same spot. Once it dropped, this meant a trip back toward the site in order to obtain LTE again. I was aggravated at what I was seeing. I either had bad hardware or the software was bad and I could not prove it either way.

If I had bad hardware, I wanted the phone to be gone before my 14 day return window expired. On Friday, after losing some sleep over this problem, I returned the HTC and picked up a Samsung Galaxy S III. I had no faith that HTC was going to fix the software anytime soon if that was the problem and I sure did not want any bad hardware in my possession.

As I departed the Sprint Store with the Samsung Galaxy S III, I drove toward the LTE coverage area and "BINGO", it went into LTE mode long before I got to the strong coverage area. My first taste of LTE with the Samsung was almost a mile further out from the cell site than the coverage was with the HTC. I pulled over and downloaded "Speedtest". Was getting 6-7 meg download and about 3 up. It was surely somewhat of a weak signal, but it sure beat the HTC that could not get any signal at that location.

I sat there and downloaded "Sensorly" and turned it on.

I then went to the cell site area and started driving away in the various directions that I had traveled with the HTC EVO LTE. In EVERY case, I could go much further away from the cell site than I did with the HTC. I could always go 1/2 mile further and in one direction where the road was level and unobstructed, I gained a whole mile in coverage. I started smiling as I surely had a better phone and/or better software.

Yes, the Samsung performs much better than the HTC. Nobody asked me for a recommendation, but I personally am very glad I bit the bullet and dumped the HTC back in Sprint's lap. The HTC looks nice, is easy to use, and I thought it was my first choice. But now, I would not recommend it at all.

To be fair, in the extra territory covered by the Samsung, speed tests were erratic. service was there, but it was not as solid as it is close to the cell site. I even pulled over into some parking lots to run speed tests at the fringe areas and I did run into a spot or two that gave be about 4 meg down and zero up. The download speed was up and down during the test, and you could not even run the upload portion. I am sure the phone was struggling with the weak signal, but at least it saw the signal and tried to use it.

To be fair again, the Samsung also struggles with getting LTE back after it drops the signal. When I lost the LTE on the Samsung and turned around,it also took awhile for the phone to allow me to see the 4G ICON again. Toggling the Airplane mode was also a help just like with the HTC. But it did find 4G much faster than the HTC did.

If anybody wants to see the results of my driving around with Sensorly plotting it on their map, just input 21740 at the Sensorly site. Almost everything you see there was my testing. This is only one active LTE site at 967 Commonwealth avenue in Hagerstown, Md. No pollution from other nearby sites.

Now for the HTC employee that might see this posting ---- About 10 years ago, I had a Samsung phone that was very poor on 3G reception. I tossed it and vowed to never buy another Samsung phone. I told a bunch of people to avoid Samsung because of my bad experience. But now, it is HTC that has the bad product and it is still bad after being on the market for several months. I do not expect to buy a HTC again and surely will not recommend that anybody else buy one. Burn me once and I jump away.

If it is bad hardware, STOP churning them out. If it is bad software, shame on HTC for not issuing a fix in about two days.

Either way, HTC looks bad. When Samsung gives me an extra 1/2 mile in range around a cell site in all directions, HTC has a problem. When I have an HTC EVO LTE 3 blocks away from a LTE site and it is still thinking about possibly detecting the LTE, you have a big problem. An extra 1/2 mile around a cell site is a whole lot of geography. HTC, your reputation is starting to float toward the sewer. Allow this situation to continue, and things will get even more smelly.

• Like 8

OK' date=' here is my comparison of the HTC EVO LTE to the Samsung Galaxy S III. About 10 days ago, just one single LTE site was activated in Hagerstown, Md. I was nursing an old phone and just waiting for LTE to hit the area. I immediately obtained a nice new HTC EVO LTE based on the reputation of previous HTC phones.

I had some time to play around, so I first made sure I had the latest software and then I installed the Sensorly app. I started driving around this new cell site to see how the coverage was and how far I could get from the site. I was disappointed. I knew it was going to be less coverage area than the 3G, but I did not expect the coverage area to be so small. Looking at the Sensory mapping after a drive around the area really showed how poor it was. I started to get into the debug menu and the engineering menus to look at signal strength, etc. As I drove away from the site, as the signal strength fell to -109, I would lose the LTE. Again, this did not sound right to me and this web site sort of verified that my sickening feeling was warranted. To make things worse, as I would turn around and drive back the same path toward the cell site, the phone would not find any LTE for quite some time and I might have to get within a block or two of the site before the LTE would show up again.

Sometimes I would pull over into a parking lot and toggle airplane mode in an attempt to get LTE back. Sometimes this worked and sometimes it did not. Sometimes I would see the 4G ICON appear and just as quick, the phone would revert to 3G.

I traveled several routes repeatedly and the LTE would drop every time at about the same spot. Once it dropped, this meant a trip back toward the site in order to obtain LTE again. I was aggravated at what I was seeing. I either had bad hardware or the software was bad and I could not prove it either way.

If I had bad hardware, I wanted the phone to be gone before my 14 day return window expired. On Friday, after losing some sleep over this problem, I returned the HTC and picked up a Samsung Galaxy S III. I had no faith that HTC was going to fix the software anytime soon if that was the problem and I sure did not want any bad hardware in my possession.

As I departed the Sprint Store with the Samsung Galaxy S III, I drove toward the LTE coverage area and "BINGO", it went into LTE mode long before I got to the strong coverage area. My first taste of LTE with the Samsung was almost a mile further out from the cell site than the coverage was with the HTC. I pulled over and downloaded "Speedtest". Was getting 6-7 meg download and about 3 up. It was surely somewhat of a weak signal, but it sure beat the HTC that could not get any signal at that location.

I sat there and downloaded "Sensorly" and turned it on.

I then went to the cell site area and started driving away in the various directions that I had traveled with the HTC EVO LTE. In EVERY case, I could go much further away from the cell site than I did with the HTC. I could always go 1/2 mile further and in one direction where the road was level and unobstructed, I gained a whole mile in coverage. I started smiling as I surely had a better phone and/or better software.

Yes, the Samsung performs much better than the HTC. Nobody asked me for a recommendation, but I personally am very glad I bit the bullet and dumped the HTC back in Sprint's lap. The HTC looks nice, is easy to use, and I thought it was my first choice. But now, I would not recommend it at all.

To be fair, in the extra territory covered by the Samsung, speed tests were erratic. service was there, but it was not as solid as it is close to the cell site. I even pulled over into some parking lots to run speed tests at the fringe areas and I did run into a spot or two that gave be about 4 meg down and zero up. The download speed was up and down during the test, and you could not even run the upload portion. I am sure the phone was struggling with the weak signal, but at least it saw the signal and tried to use it.

To be fair again, the Samsung also struggles with getting LTE back after it drops the signal. When I lost the LTE on the Samsung and turned around,it also took awhile for the phone to allow me to see the 4G ICON again. Toggling the Airplane mode was also a help just like with the HTC. But it did find 4G much faster than the HTC did.

If anybody wants to see the results of my driving around with Sensorly plotting it on their map, just input 21740 at the Sensorly site. Almost everything you see there was my testing. This is only one active LTE site at 967 Commonwealth avenue in Hagerstown, Md. No pollution from other nearby sites.

Now for the HTC employee that might see this posting ---- About 10 years ago, I had a Samsung phone that was very poor on 3G reception. I tossed it and vowed to never buy another Samsung phone. I told a bunch of people to avoid Samsung because of my bad experience. But now, it is HTC that has the bad product and it is still bad after being on the market for several months. I do not expect to buy a HTC again and surely will not recommend that anybody else buy one. Burn me once and I jump away.

If it is bad hardware, STOP churning them out. If it is bad software, shame on HTC for not issuing a fix in about two days.

Either way, HTC looks bad. When Samsung gives me an extra 1/2 mile in range around a cell site in all directions, HTC has a problem. When I have an HTC EVO LTE 3 blocks away from a LTE site and it is still thinking about possibly detecting the LTE, you have a big problem. An extra 1/2 mile around a cell site is a whole lot of geography. HTC, your reputation is starting to float toward the sewer. Allow this situation to continue, and things will get even more smelly.[/quote']

This echoes my observations in the Waco FIT. Exactly the same.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 1