HTC EVO lte connection issues

dpullen

You can drive to MN, and I'll let you fire off a few rounds with my 300 WSM hunting rifle. That's as good as meditation for me.

But then he has to deal with being in MN in the cold.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

People, I am so sick and tired of the bitching and moaning about the EVO LTE and its LTE connectivity issues. Most of you have never used the EVO LTE in a mature LTE market, so you do not understand that it works reasonably well. No, it is not the equal of the Galaxy S3, but the Galaxy S3 is not the equal of the EVO LTE in other regards. The Galaxy S3 is more cheap Samsung plastic, burn in prone AMOLED, and resolution challenged PenTile.

So, do you want better build quality or better LTE connectivity? Pick your poison. If you want both on Sprint right now, you basically have to follow the sheep and go with the iPhone 5.

AJ

I appreciate all of the knowledge you bring to this forum, but why are you in this thread complaining about reading complaints?

I'm in Houston which is about as mature of an LTE market that Sprint has, and the connectivity with a weak LTE signal is very real. if every one stays quiet about the issue then i think we would be doing a disservice to Sprint customers.

But then he has to deal with being in MN in the cold.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I've been sitting outside for the last 10 hours. It's unseasonably warm at about 40 degrees. Maybe that's why the deer are not moving around. Or it could be the glow of my screen...

I'm in Houston which is about as mature of an LTE market that Sprint has...

Not true. Houston has a ways to go. I live in a market with population 100,000, and all but two of 11 sites have deployed and accessible LTE. I know how the EVO LTE performs in a mature LTE market. It is not ideal, it is inconsistent, but it is acceptable, especially for a first generation device.

...and the connectivity with a weak LTE signal is very real.

Did anyone ever promise that the LTE connectivity would be equal on all devices? Early adopters often must bear the brunt of growing pains. Get used to it -- or do not be an early adopter.

if every one stays quiet about the issue then i think we would be doing a disservice to Sprint customers.

What service does incessant complaining provide?

AJ

What service does incessant complaining provide?

AJ

Many people on this forum have thought that Sprint's LTE coverage sucks until they switched from the EVO LTE to another phone. If I didn't have my brother's Galaxy S3 to compare I would think Houston's coverage sucks as well, but it's actually pretty decent now a days.

Also, how does coming into a thread and complaining about the topic at hand help? Do you think you're a voice of reason and now that you have spoken, I should smile and forget about the connectivity issues because you say so?

• Like 1

Many people on this forum have thought that Sprint's LTE coverage sucks until they switched from the EVO LTE to another phone. If I didn't have my brother's Galaxy S3 to compare I would think Houston's coverage sucks as well, but it's actually pretty decent now a days.

If someone wants to start an EVO LTE and Galaxy S3 comparison thread, I have no problem with that. But it should provide full disclosure. The EVO LTE has connectivity weaknesses, while the Galaxy S3 is stronger in connectivity but has build quality deficiencies.

Also, how does coming into a thread and complaining about the topic at hand help?

Re-read the thread title. Unless you are kvetching for an exchange, contacting Sprint does nothing -- in which case, get on the phone or go to a store and get it done. Sprint is already well aware of the connectivity issues of the EVO LTE. At this point, Sprint and HTC likely cannot do anything to solve the problem or will not do anything to solve the problem because the solution would not be cost effective.

Do you think you're a voice of reason and now that you have spoken, I should smile and forget about the connectivity issues because you say so?

Yes, I am a voice of reason. I have greater, more relevant experience than most do. And I have said, time and again, that the EVO LTE can function acceptably in a well deployed LTE market. If you expect strong LTE connectivity from the EVO LTE, you expect too much. If you expect better LTE connectivity, then switch to another handset.

Regardless, complaining here accomplishes nothing. The general sentiment makes the Galaxy S3 out to be the handset of choice. However, I am not interested in plastic, AMOLED, and PenTile. So, I am just providing my counterpoint that the EVO LTE is not perfect, but the Galaxy S3 is an even less attractive alternative for some. And I am certain that at least a few others share that opinion...

AJ

• Like 3

As much as I love the EVO LTE, after using it many times in Houston in several well covered areas, it just downright sucks for LTE. The toying with the airplane made is dumb. The only time I ever used airplane mode on previous phones is....yep..you guessed it, when I got on an airplane!

When I used the S3 in Houston I though it the LTE was great! In many markets even if you have 100% LTE coverage on the towers the EVO LTE would be using you would still run into toggling airplane mode if this doesn't ever get fixed. Just the nature of the beast with the tower spacing in many areas.

This issue right here and the way HTC has handled it has turned me off from ever buying another HTC product. Luckily my market has been delayed by about 2 months on the NV upgrades so far, otherwise this phone would probably be in a million pieces on the interstate by now.

So I'll continue to spread the hate on the EVO LTE until Sprint or HTC do something about the issue...and AJ can reverse the heat on me all he wants. ;)

• Like 4

If someone wants to start an EVO LTE and Galaxy S3 comparison thread, I have no problem with that. But it should provide full disclosure. The EVO LTE has connectivity weaknesses, while the Galaxy S3 is stronger in connectivity but has build quality deficiencies.

Re-read the thread title. Unless you are kvetching for an exchange, contacting Sprint does nothing -- in which case, get on the phone or go to a store and get it done. Sprint is already well aware of the connectivity issues of the EVO LTE. At this point, Sprint and HTC likely cannot do anything to solve the problem or will not do anything to solve the problem because the solution would not be cost effective.

Yes, I am a voice of reason. I have greater, more relevant experience than most do. And I have said, time and again, that the EVO LTE can function acceptably in a well deployed LTE market. If you expect strong LTE connectivity from the EVO LTE, you expect too much. If you expect better LTE connectivity, then switch to another handset.

Regardless, complaining here accomplishes nothing. The general sentiment makes the Galaxy S3 out to be the handset of choice. However, I am not interested in plastic, AMOLED, and PenTile. So, I am just providing my counterpoint that the EVO LTE is not perfect, but the Galaxy S3 is an even less attractive alternative for some. And I am certain that at least a few others share that opinion...

AJ

Read everything you just typed, and tell me you can read that with a straight face.

Samsung Galaxy S3 build quality deficiencies? Apparently not enough for people to start a thread and complain about it. I also haven't seen any pics of a bent Galaxy S3, but there are some of the EVO. I have an Otterbox Commuter case because I don't want to have my phone accidentally bend. And the EVO has issues with a weak LTE signal.

Re-read the thread title? "EVO LTE 4G connection issues - contact Sprint. Looks like people want to discuss the EVO's LTE connection issues in THIS thread. We're not here to discuss the AMOLED, plastic, or PenTile. And the EVO has issues with a weak LTE signal.

Voice of reason? You certainly seem educated on wireless network technology, but going into threads which you don't like and you have nothing to contribute does not help. Get off your high horse and get out of this thread if you don't like reading about the LTE connectivity issues. Because the EVO still has issues with a weak LTE signal.

And the EVO still has issues with a weak LTE signal. (I've repeated this many times because this is actually on topic - you're posts have not)

• Like 4

As much as I love the EVO LTE, after using it many times in Houston in several well covered areas, it just downright sucks for LTE. The toying with the airplane made is dumb. The only time I ever used airplane mode on previous phones is....yep..you guessed it, when I got on an airplane!

When I used the S3 in Houston I though it the LTE was great! In many markets even if you have 100% LTE coverage on the towers the EVO LTE would be using you would still run into toggling airplane mode if this doesn't ever get fixed. Just the nature of the beast with the tower spacing in many areas.

This issue right here and the way HTC has handled it has turned me off from ever buying another HTC product. Luckily my market has been delayed by about 2 months on the NV upgrades so far, otherwise this phone would probably be in a million pieces on the interstate by now.

So I'll continue to spread the hate on the EVO LTE until Sprint or HTC do something about the issue...and AJ can reverse the heat on me all he wants. ;)

Here's an example of someone who might have thought Sprint's LTE network is terrible in Houston, but after using a different phone realizes it ain't the network. That's why this topic is useful.

Here's an example of someone who might have thought Sprint's LTE network is terrible in Houston, but after using a different phone realizes it ain't the network. That's why this topic is useful.

With all due respect to digiblur, I addressed that weeks ago. He does not have the frame of reference to know what he is talking about. He was in Houston months ago. Houston was not a mature market then, is still probably not a mature market now.

AJ

Read everything you just typed, and tell me you can read that with a straight face.

I did. I stand by everything I wrote. But the whining from you and others is making me reconsider my continued participation in these forums. I warned that letting S4GRU grow too big would bring in the malcontents. But such is life on the Web...

Also, I changed the title to better reflect the tenor of this thread. Good luck with your bitching.

AJ

With all due respect to digiblur, I addressed that weeks ago. He does not have the frame of reference to know what he is talking about. He was in Houston months ago. Houston was not a mature market then, is still probably not a mature market now.

AJ

With all due respect, I live in Houston and can compare the EVO and Galaxy S3 daily. I can see which towers are turned on, and there are several places where going in doors the EVO has issues with LTE and the Galaxy S3 does not. Switching the EVO to LTE only mode isn't a fix - the phone will stay connected to LTE but the connection still drops in and out or doesn't connect half the time. The Galaxy S3 will maintain that signal and complete the Speedtest reliably but at lower speeds, typically 1.5mb/s-3mb/s. I've been in areas where I've seen -78db/m RSRP outside, a very strong signal which gives speed tests over 30mb/s, but going into a restaurant on the same block the phone will switch back and forth between 3g and LTE. The S3 doesn't have that issue in my experience.

Any ways I'm done discussing this with you. You can accuse me of whining, but all I did was post facts about my connectivity at different signal strengths. I only started posting frequently in this thread once you started complaining and going off topic. You don't have to quit participating in these forums, but it would be nice if you quit posting in threads that you don't contribute to. This last page of back and forth ISN'T GOING TO HELP THE EVO MAINTAIN A WEAKER LTE SIGNAL.

You contribute A LOT to this forum, but it's ok to be wrong every once in a while.

• Like 2

What I dint understand is if why u don't like reading about the Evo Ltes issues then why in the world do you decide to read the evo lte connection issues forum? Or Hey, here's your chance to bitch about the evo lte forum if u the it so much!!! I thought this was supposed to be a friendly forum and appropriate but appearently no so. On top of all that how does a mature market even matter he was just saying that the s3 was better at connectivity it wouldn't matter if it was mature or not considering they both phones were on the same tower most likely.

Ok, everyone needs to chill out for real. We all know there is an issue with the evo and how it can't maintain an lte signal when its low. Hell I was one of the first members on this site to confirm what was already known(back in the beginning of June) being that I carry a gnex and evo. Since then, as the atlanta market coverage increases so has the lte performance of my evo but of course its still not the best but its pretty good. Now we all have a right to our own individual opinions on this issue but talking about it all day every day(especially on s4gru) isn't going to make a bit of difference to sprint being that they new about this issue well before the phone was even released which was reported right here on s4gru way back in april(I think). So if you already have an evo then lets hope that the issue is taken cared of on the next OTA update, if not then you need to come to the realization(like I have) that this issue will never get fixed.

• Like 2

I will echo the sentiments of themuffinman, everyone needs to simmer down.

Any more disrespect to S4GRU staff will result in swift and severe action. Right or wrong, WiWavelength is one of the main reasons why this website is packed full of excellent, insightful knowledge. You had better regard him with respect. I warn you not to test my resolve on this.

I will echo the statements of themuffinman, everyone needs to simmer down.

Any more disrespect to S4GRU staff will result in swift and severe action. Right or wrong, WiWavelength is one of the main reasons why this website is packed full of excellent, insightful knowledge. You had better regard him with respect. I warn you not to test my resolve on this.

I sent you a pm

Guilty as charged. But I am having a bad NFL Sunday and have to let off some steam...

AJ

You too? :td:

At least the Texans won...

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I would like to dial down the animosity a notch and try a Socratic approach. What is the intent of this thread?

It is a simple question, so please try to keep answers short and to the point.

AJ

Unless something new is being said, the thread is rather pointless.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

• Like 2

The Galaxy S3 is more cheap Samsung plastic, burn in prone AMOLED, and resolution challenged PenTile.

Oh? And let us forget the weak 1x/EVDO performance, embedded battery for no appreciable reason, oversaturated pictures, weak kickstand spring, proximity sensor issues, possible charging port issues, SMS issues, HTC Sense, inability to multitask...

I love my EVO LTE, but there are numerous software and hardware issues and concerns one could note. In my humble opinion, HTC's "build quality" has been suspect for a while.

But the whining from you and others is making me reconsider my continued participation in these forums. I warned that letting S4GRU grow too big would bring in the malcontents. But such is life on the Web...

Take a break, then. No, seriously. Take a break. If a site is getting to you enough to consider cutting it out of your life, then you should spend some time away from it. Personal experience talking, here. It'll do you some good.

I would like to dial down the animosity a notch and try a Socratic approach. What is the intent of this thread?

It is a simple question, so please try to keep answers short and to the point.

AJ

The intent of this thread is so that those who feel wronged, ignored, or slighted by Sprint and/or HTC over possible issues with their phone an outlet, a way to communicate. Obviously, there is little that will be actually accomplished by this thread continuing, save for someone posting a community-made hack that improves things.

Oh? And let us forget the weak 1x/EVDO performance, embedded battery for no appreciable reason, oversaturated pictures, weak kickstand spring, proximity sensor issues, possible charging port issues, SMS issues, HTC Sense, inability to multitask...

The intent of this thread is so that those who feel wronged, ignored, or slighted by Sprint and/or HTC over possible issues with their phone an outlet, a way to communicate. Obviously, there is little that will be actually accomplished by this thread continuing, save for someone posting a community-made hack that improves things.

No the intent of the thread was ONE issue not all the junk you listed. That's part of the problem here. This isn't a vent your issue site. If that's your motive then head over to sprints forums and post there.

Besides the point some of the things u listed are laughable.... Weak kickstand?.... Thing is 10000% more strong than the OG EVO, ... You also list the battery being embedded....pretty sure you knew this before you bought the phone....so if its an issue you have with it, you have no one but yourself to blame...same goes for stating HTC sense being an issue....hello you bought an HTC phone, did you think touch wiz was going to be on it?...

Ppl need to cool the jets and keep threads on topic, period. So when there is a thread on EVO connection issues, keep it on topic or else take it to sprint forms where it really belongs.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 4

This topic is impossible to keep from turning into a "I hate this phone because of A, B, C" and a "I love this phone and you don't have a right to your opinion" Or vice versa. Everyone has a right to their opinion, and one person's experience may not be in line with your experience. This thread has devolved into something that is not in line with the community guidelines.

Topic is closed.

• Like 1

This topic is impossible to keep from turning into a "I hate this phone because of A' date=' B, C" and a "I love this phone and you don't have a right to your opinion" Or vice versa. Everyone has a right to their opinion, and one person's experience may not be in line with your experience. This thread has devolved into something that is not in line with the community guidelines.

Topic is closed.[/quote']

We will consider reopening in the future when and if something meaningful new comes up on the subject.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 4