LTE Networks San Antonio, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas/FW, and Kansas City

soulman

I got word that these networks at 20-30% completion even though they have been announced as being turned on. This may be why some users are not able to find LTE in some parts of the city.

• Like 1

I got word that these networks at 20-30% completion even though they have been announced as being turned on. This may be why some users are not able to find LTE in some parts of the city.

This is something the members of this site already knew but like what Scott said, sprint sure needs to find a better way to communicate more efficiently with their customers.

The only reason that they 'launched' the network earlier than what the originally wanted the completion to be was to maintain a 'mid-year launch' They knew (and we knew) that they were a little behind on their target completion, but there is a learning curve, and they have to wait on parts, as well as contractors and all the other factors that go into replacing a whole network (especially when there are still people using the old equipment)

From what it sounds like Houston is the worst in terms of coverage for the city, but we still do not know all the reasons, they could have towers ready to go as soon as the backhaul gets there. I am being speculative, but the summer heat can't help things too much as well, they still have to have people climb the towers and safety is a big concern especially in the heat (if someone got heat exhaustion and fell off a tower, it would look pretty bad on sprint... all so you could download angry birds faster?)

I figured that they would fall a little behind at first, but I should think that they are preparing the next sites to move faster with what they learned from the first sites. I also think that they will allow the other markets to get closer to 50% completion before launch to lessen the negative comments about the launches... Again, this launch was a double edged sword, if they don't launch they lied to everyone about mid-year, and if they do launch they will not have the blanket coverage that people are expecting... As others in this site have said: its better to get to use what is available, than have no LTE at all...

• Like 1

I read in another forum that when Verzion and ATT did their LTE' date=' it wasnt smooth sailing too. Is that true?[/quote']

Yes, Verizon had several nationwide data outages.

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

Yeah, Sprint probably should have illustrated that a little better to customers.

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

I agree, it's interesting to see people use the 4G LTE maps provided by Sprint to see if they had 4G LTE coverage. The maps would show they have 4G LTE coverage but their phones don't connect.

I am all for rolling out markets as quickly as possible, but the communication has been horrible.

• Like 1

It seems like the Dallas market rolled out at about 15% complete. I am not sure I would call that a "roll out", it's more like an alpha or beta test. That said, I am glad to have LTE somewhere in my city. As of last night, I now have the strongest 3G signal we have ever had out here. I can't say I am happy with Sprint, but I am quite glad that they are making progress that can be tracked.

• Like 1

It seems like the Dallas market rolled out at about 15% complete. I am not sure I would call that a "roll out"' date=' it's more like an alpha or beta test. That said, I am glad to have LTE somewhere in my city. As of last night, I now have the strongest 3G signal we have ever had out here. I can't say I am happy with Sprint, but I am quite glad that they are making progress that can be tracked.[/quote']

And we will continue to.keep track of it here at S4GRU. :tu:

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 2

I agree, it's interesting to see people use the 4G LTE maps provided by Sprint to see if they had 4G LTE coverage. The maps would show they have 4G LTE coverage but their phones don't connect.

I am all for rolling out markets as quickly as possible, but the communication has been horrible.

Maybe we need a thread with "Real World" usage of the LTE. Sprint says a city has it, but THEY forget that most likely the WHOLE CITY does not have it. Maybe not even all of a zip code. It would be nice IF Sprint had longitude and latitude of where LTE is working, and where enhanced 3G is working.

Perhaps Sprint should NOT have sold ANY LTE devices UNTIL the area was 100%. Then I would still have my original Evo. Sprint could give those in the areas no increased speeds at all a price break. The good news is I got my Evo 4G LTE during a Best Buy promotion and only paid $50 for it. I went to Waco this past weekend (4G city). The part of Waco I was at must not be LTE yet, however the 3G was MUCH faster than it is in Austin proper.

Test Date: Jul 21, 2012 12:18:33 pm

Connection Type: EvdoA

Server: Temple, TX

Download: 1478 kbps

Upload: 457 kbps

Ping: 185 ms

IP addresses removed

Latitude: 31.54962

Longitude: -97.12459

A detailed image for this result can be found here:

http://www.speedtest...d/215827055.png

Austin, TX speedtest (not currently a LTE city or an enhanced 3G city)

Test Date: Jul 21, 2012 2:32:40 pm

Connection Type: Ehrpd

Download: 592 kbps

Upload: 395 kbps

Ping: 292 ms

IP addresses removed

Latitude: 30.41396

Longitude: -97.67565

http://www.speedtest...d/215889945.png

I was thinking of dropping Roadrunner, and giving Sprint the extra $30 per month after LTE speeds are at my apartment, but with these speeds and UNLIMITED, I'll have to wait and see what the LTE speed is when it gets here.

As a comparison, when the EVO 4G LTE is using Wifi at my apartment (Roadrunner is my ISP) the speedtest is below:

Test Date: Jul 22, 2012 7:20:58 am

Connection Type: Wifi

Server: Fort Worth, TX

Download: 28520 kbps

Upload: 1240 kbps

Ping: 42 ms

IP addresses removed

Latitude: 30.36651

Longitude: -97.70127

http://www.speedtest...d/216247661.png

Perhaps Sprint should NOT have sold ANY LTE devices UNTIL the area was 100%. Then I would still have my original Evo. Sprint could give those in the areas no increased speeds at all a price break. The good news is I got my Evo 4G LTE during a Best Buy promotion and only paid $50 for it. I went to Waco this past weekend (4G city). The part of Waco I was at must not be LTE yet, however the 3G was MUCH faster than it is in Austin proper.

Test Date: Jul 21, 2012 12:18:33 pm

Connection Type: EvdoA

Download: 1478 kbps

Upload: 457 kbps

Ping: 185 ms

IP addresses removed

Latitude: 31.54962

Longitude: -97.12459

http://www.speedtest...d/215827055.png

Austin, TX speedtest (not currently a LTE city or an enhanced 3G city)

Test Date: Jul 21, 2012 2:32:40 pm

Connection Type: Ehrpd

Download: 592 kbps

Upload: 395 kbps

Ping: 292 ms

IP addresses removed

Latitude: 30.41396

Longitude: -97.67565

http://www.speedtest...d/215889945.png

I was thinking of dropping Roadrunner, and giving Sprint the extra $30 per month after LTE speeds are at my apartment, but with these speeds and UNLIMITED, I'll have to wait and see what the LTE speed is when it gets here.

As a comparison, when the EVO 4G LTE is using Wifi at my apartment (Roadrunner is my ISP) the speedtest is below:

Test Date: Jul 22, 2012 7:20:58 am

Connection Type: Wifi

Server: Fort Worth, TX

Download: 28520 kbps

Upload: 1240 kbps

Ping: 42 ms

IP addresses removed

Latitude: 30.36651

Longitude: -97.70127

http://www.speedtest...d/216247661.png

You CANNOT use Sprint as your primary ISP for your home. The service is not meant for that at all and is meant for unlimited usage on your phone. Yes, I do root and tether once in awhile on the go but that usage is usually under 200-400mb per month at most. I do not and will not ever use Sprint 3G or 4G to tether permanently at home. The network can't support doing that for everyone. With a smartphone, you should use WiFi at home when you can and 3G/4G when mobile and don't have access. This will help keep our smartphone unlimited data plans as long as possible.

Don't ABUSE it!

You CANNOT use Sprint as your primary ISP for your home. The service is not meant for that at all and is meant for unlimited usage on your phone. Yes' date=' I do root and tether once in awhile on the go but that usage is usually under 200-400mb per month at most. I do not and will not ever use Sprint 3G or 4G to tether permanently at home. The network can't support doing that for everyone. With a smartphone, you should use WiFi at home when you can and 3G/4G when mobile and don't have access. This will help keep our smartphone unlimited data plans as long as possible.

Don't ABUSE it![/quote']

I have a slightly different perspective: if you have other internet options that are marketed as home broadband connections, use them. However if you're out of town, a Sprint aircard may be the only reliable way of getting connectivity. In that case, buy something like Millenicom, which factors the extra usage you'll be putting on your modem into your bill.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII-32GB using Forum Runner

Maybe we need a thread with "Real World" usage of the LTE. Sprint says a city has it, but THEY forget that most likely the WHOLE CITY does not have it. Maybe not even all of a zip code. It would be nice IF Sprint had longitude and latitude of where LTE is working, and where enhanced 3G is working.

There is a thread - the S4GRU sponsor thread with completed network vision towers.

Do you know if Universal City also has 4G LTE? I visit the area on a regular basis.

The only lte in Universal City at this time comes from the water tower behind the Forum. It is great at the forum but for some reason it is not good in UC itself. I live in Olympia right behind the Forum and can not get lte. No lte on Pat Booker road either. The tower by Randolph AFB (other end of Pat Booker) does not have lte as of yet. Im hoping that when that tower comes online that UC will be covered by lte completely.

My parents live in the subdivision close to the intersection of Kitty Hawk and Topperwein, on the UC side, across from Northeast Lakeview College. I'm surprised that Sprint skipped this college area on the initial LTE, but as we all know, it is not 100% complete yet. I'm hoping when Northeast Lakeview College gets coverage, that my parents house and sisters house also have coverage (she lives in Meadow Oaks).

Edited by beastman59

I live in Bryan / College Station TX, Anybody have any idea when I might be getting LTE here. I bought the first Evo 4G from Sprint on launch day in 2010 and have yet to see even WiMAX roll out here despite many promises. Wife and I are now due for upgrades and spotty coverage in town and 60kbps downloads in Bryan w/ a maximum of 1,100kbps downloads near A&M's campus in the middle of the night.

I feel the network here is so neglected, Sprint store tells me upgrades are in progress here in town, but I have been hearing that for years now. I was just wondering if anybody here knows anything about this area before I jump ship to Verizon.

My parents live in the subdivision close to the intersection of Kitty Hawk and Topperwein, on the UC side, across from Northeast Lakeview College. I'm surprised that Sprint skipped this college area on the initial LTE, but as we all know, it is not 100% complete yet. I'm hoping when Northeast Lakeview College gets coverage, that my parents house and sisters house also have coverage (she lives in Meadow Oaks).

That whole area of UC, Comverse and Live Oak has always had poor coverage. My indoor signal in those areas have been spotty at best, I have an airave to help out with that. I am hoping that with NV that will all change for the better. I am told that the tower by RAFB will be complete in October. That should help out that area a lot. As far as not including this area initially, I believe that they were trying to cover the main arteries in SA first. That would include the I35 corridor, loop 410, loop 1604, 281, I10 and of course the airport. Mostly all on the northside and downtown areas. Its all coming along fairly well. Im all over SA and surrounding areas due to the nature of my work and Ive seen pretty good coverage and great speeds. Its an exciting time for sprint and telecommunications in general.

I feel the network here is so neglected, Sprint store tells me upgrades are in progress here in town, but I have been hearing that for years now. I was just wondering if anybody here knows anything about this area before I jump ship to Verizon.

Theres no denying that sprint has neglected their network for years. Especially in some areas. I would be patient and just wait for NV to complete in your area. Every Sprint tower will be LTE, so if you have Sprint service and compatible hardware you will have lte. Its on its way to you.

I read somewhere that Bryan College Station is around December. I don't think Sprint is putting up any more WiMAX. LTE is coming but you'll need an LTE phone such as Evo 4g LTE. Btw the battery life is a lot better on this Evo.

Edited by beastman59