frank04

Network Vision/LTE - Atlanta/Athens Market

I'm in ATL often now for work (work in midtown) and the network has been really pretty solid - even in hotels.  My only gripe are the underground MARTA stations.  Really wish Sprint could at least do something with those.

Glad this thread is so quiet.  It only speaks to the excellent quality of the Sprint network in our beloved yet often bizarre metropolis.  
But I actually have a point or, rather,  something I'd like to share. I was just at Kroger recently on Howell Mill near I-75 and was waiting outside in the unusually chilly weather for my Uber when I noticed via SCP that I was on a second band 25 carrier. Now, 2 things to note:  1. Atlanta has had a second band 25 carrier live for at least 18 months so this wasn't immediately unusual and 2. Atlanta has such widespread and healthy band 41 deployment that I rarely see anything but. The network is just that damned good.
No, the odd part was that when I went into my "enginerring" l screen, it indicated that carrier aggregation was indeed active.  Like I said, I've been on a second b25 carrier in this city many times before but I had never noticed them being aggregated. See evidence below.

My feeling is that band 41 was so widely deployed here before that they felt no great rush to enable b25 CA in this market.  In many other previously band 41 starved markets  like Lexington, KY, band 25 CA has been live for well over a year,  likely even longer. Those areas needed the extra capacity until those band 41 mini macs could rise to the challenge. They now very much have, by the way. 
But now that those smaller areas are finally getting widespread band 41 coverage, Sprint has seen fit to come back to the bigger areas like Atlanta and make great even better.  At least that is my theory!
Screenshot_20180102-232727.thumb.png.ff5521756dbbd381f490cdb8b0db33d2.png
ATL is a example of how incorrect Spectrum Omega is. It shows that Sprint holds blocks A,B,D there. If that was true Sprint could have higher than 5x5 on the 2nd carrier.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• You need B26 for VOLTE both for coverage and capacity. B41 as it is configured right now is great for cruising the net and downloading. Not great for symmetric traffic like voice. Well, when I am talking to my wife, it is highly asymmetric but that's neither here nor there😂.
    • I was on I-68 Sunday and did not notice any new Sprint Coverage.  Some 1x was there, no Sprint LTE.  The 1X was well below the standards we would expect and I really did not see any improvement yet. However, as I write this, I am thinking that the US Cellular LTE might have been showing on SCP and I may not have realized that Sprint 1x was available in previously uncovered locations.
    • KDDI in Japan still has their CDMA network. Verizon is tired of paying Qualcomm royalties on top of paying Billions of dollars for Qualcomm equipment.
    • I was in Cumberland, Md and Deep Creek , Md on Sunday.  Only had Sprint 1x and the coverage on that was not good.  However, I did have LTE coverage on US Cellular. It was OK, not fantastic, but ok.  Not everywhere but it was where you needed it.  Was on US Cellular EVDO and 1x at times too.   It was great that Sprint allows use of US Cellular facilities while they upgrade their network. Allegany and Garrett counties were ignored by Sprint for many many years. Now that they have turned that area over to Shentel we are going to see the service greatly improved.  Sprint finally did the right thing. If they could not provide service in the area themselves, turn it over to somebody that can and will. Shentel WILL fix it and soon. I did note that when driving into the area from Hagerstown, my phone resisted connecting to US Cellular LTE until I started trying to figure out why. I think it might have been the Airplane mode on/off action I took that seemed to wake up US Cellular LTE.  Once it connected one time, then I was good all day.
    • There are clearly some issues with that map, but you're right, western MD does look good and like they're planning to cover it well.  Looking at the current Sprint coverage map in voice view, it looks like two or three new sites might be up and running already along I-68.  (If not, then they might be coming very soon.) - Trip