Network Vision/LTE - Atlanta/Athens Market

frank04

My N5 after the update here in Atlanta is performing admirably well.  It very effectively switches between bands 25 and 26 as necessary and very rarely falls back to 3G.  I am happier with this phone now that I have ever been since purchasing it.

I have no experience with band 41 yet so I can't really comment on that though I know that there are many active band 41 (old Clear) sites within the city.  Once I have some experience with b41 on my N5 I will post comments on its performance here in Atlanta.

But my speeds are far more than adequate and my coverage has increased quite a bit due to the increasing prevalence of b26.

Glad everything is finally working out for you.

• Like 2

Maybe it was CSFB problems all along. Huh. Well, glad it's working!

All indications are that that, indeed, was the case.

On another note, is NSN out deploying b41 on Sprint sites yet? If Sprint is to get the first 100 million online with b41 before the year is out then I would imagine they need to get a massive move on.

All indications are that that, indeed, was the case.

On another note, is NSN out deploying b41 on Sprint sites yet? If Sprint is to get the first 100 million online with b41 before the year is out then I would imagine they need to get a massive move on.

They are.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

So will b41 also suffer from ecsfb issues when it is first turned on on Sprint NV sites (the way b26 did/does)?

Here in Jacksonville before we were officially a spark market I experienced eCSFB issues on b41. I was running my nexus 5 on the .15 modem. I connected to the site but was in LTE only mode. Couldn't call or text.

For people with the new software you will get kicked to 3g.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Here in Jacksonville before we were officially a spark market I experienced eCSFB issues on b41. I was running my nexus 5 on the .15 modem. I connected to the site but was in LTE only mode. Couldn't call or text.

For people with the new software you will get kicked to 3g.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Lovely.  Well the spotty Clear towers that have already been converted to LTE here are, fortunately, nowhere near my home nor my work.  Once the Sprint installs of LTE on NV sites really crank up then I guess I will have to suffer through it.  

But I can always just disable band 41 during these growing pains and reenable it once it's stable. 

So will b41 also suffer from ecsfb issues when it is first turned on on Sprint NV sites (the way b26 did/does)?

Not really sure about that right now. People are able to connect to them just fine in Chicago and Las Vegas, but that's Samsung and Alcatel Lucent. Nokia is doing the deployment in Atlanta. We haven't seen any Nokia installs yet that I'm aware of.

Not really sure about that right now. People are able to connect to them just fine in Chicago and Las Vegas, but that's Samsung and Alcatel Lucent. Nokia is doing the deployment in Atlanta. We haven't seen any Nokia installs yet that I'm aware of.

Whatever the outcome, I am certain NSN will do an exponentially better job than Ericsson could or would have.  

The installs from NSN are due to begin in July.  I believe I read that on one of these forums here.  It will be awesome to have those sorts of speeds that band 41 can deliver but in all honesty I don't have any issues at all with the LTE speeds here in Atlanta on bands 25 and 26.  This will all just be proverbial icing on the proverbial cake.  

Whatever the outcome, I am certain NSN will do an exponentially better job than Ericsson could or would have.  

The installs from NSN are due to begin in July.  I believe I read that on one of these forums here.  It will be awesome to have those sorts of speeds that band 41 can deliver but in all honesty I don't have any issues at all with the LTE speeds here in Atlanta on bands 25 and 26.  This will all just be proverbial icing on the proverbial cake.  

Supposedly Nokia installs are underway, we just don't have any photographic evidence yet.

• Like 1

It is unlikely 8T8R sites will have eCSFB problems. They are on mature NV sites and will be connected directly to the Sprint Core. The Clearwire B41 sites needed to have their cores upgraded to allow eCSFB.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I work for JCI and found this article interesting.  At least the airport should be covered regardless of carrier.  If only this was the norm, not the exception.

When people travel today, they can't afford to stop working. That's why the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) in Georgia, USA – the busiest airport in the world – selected Johnson Controls to install and support upgraded wireless internet access. Thanks to our team, 15,000 simultaneous users can now access free Wi-Fi – a seven-fold increase over the previous system.

It's all part of a $5.6 million contract that will help serve more than 94 million passengers annually. In a recent media statement, Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed said, "At the world's busiest and most efficient airport, we must continually look to meet and exceed the demands of our customers. Wi-Fi is no longer considered an amenity; it is a necessity for today's travelers."

EDIT: Meant to include the source link.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Getting some good Band 26 on my new G3 inside my house.

Mav. ;ninja;

Sent from the future on my Sprint LG G3.

A few months ago, we never thought we would see B26 speeds like that in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi or the Florida Panhandle. It's awesome to see Sprint work with SouthernLinc to establish a full 5MHz LTE carrier for B26 down there.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

A few months ago, we never thought we would see B26 speeds like that in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi or the Florida Panhandle. It's awesome to see Sprint work with SouthernLinc to establish a full 5MHz LTE carrier for B26 down there.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah, since band 26 is basically everywhere now(at least for me it is) things are running smooth as hell every where I go. The only area where things are horrible is at the airport but that"s to be expected from every carrier at the world's busiest airport.
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

How about north of Atlanta? Any speeds improvements? Seems like B26 is all over the south side.

Everywhere I go up here is solid Band 26. All of my speed tests are on the North side.

As soon as they get some Band 41 rockin', we will be all set.

Mav. :ninja:

Sent from Area 51 on my Sprint LG G3.

• Like 2

When I was in the airport today an LTE-only cycle back to LTE + CDMA on my Nexus 5 got me onto B41. Regualr LTE (B26) was okay (vs. the last time I went through ATL), but where I could get it at above -116 RSRP B41 was pretty nice, at ~20 Mbps down and 5-10 Mbps up. Now, T-Mobile was nicer at basically 20M symmetric but it's nice to see things working much better in the airport (I was in concourses B and C).

• Like 1

Neal was telling me on Twitter that his Sprint experience in Atlanta was really bad and that he was plagued with eCSFB issues. Do you guys find that to be the case? Here's the link to the conversation: https://twitter.com/Det_Conan_Kudo/status/497593816069976064

No disrespect to Neal, but I don't think that it's much of a stretch to say that he tends to paint things in the worst possible light when it comes to Sprint....And do the exact opposite when it comes to T-Mobile. It's probably a good idea to solicit additional viewpoints as you're doing here.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Bands 25 and 26 are both now essentially ubiquitous all over the entire metro Atlanta area. There aare - and will always be - key problem areas. But this is RF we're talking about. Nothing is perfect but the Sprint network in Atlanta is strong. My only problem really is my Nexus 5. It seems to have issues sticking with connections and unnecessarily reverting to 3g when strong LTE connections are otherwise available.

• Like 5

Neal was telling me on Twitter that his Sprint experience in Atlanta was really bad and that he was plagued with eCSFB issues. Do you guys find that to be the case? Here's the link to the conversation: https://twitter.com/Det_Conan_Kudo/status/497593816069976064

Earlier in the year there were lots of ecsfb issues but definitely not now. Band 25/26 is literally everywhere, band 41 is kinda hit or miss though.

• Like 4

Earlier in the year there were lots of ecsfb issues but definitely not now. Band 25/26 is literally everywhere, band 41 is kinda hit or miss though.

This ^^. But the NSN Sprint band 41 rollout is now underway and through those 8T8R radios and also with beamforming, I am hoping to see 2.5LTE become nearly just as ubiquitous as PCS LTE (here in the A and across the nation as well).

• 1 month later...

:( Anyone on the southside or any where else around atlanta experiencing any issues?  For the last couple of days I haven't been able to connect to band 26 at all and it seems like ecsfb issues are back.  Me and my girl have missed a bunch of calls and the only time we realize it is when we get a voicemail notification after the fact.

• Like 1