Sign in to follow this  

Best place to educate myself on radios/band/terminology

I am really trying to grasp everything in all of these threads but do keep coming up to questions about all of the terminology. What would be the best place to decipher everything? I did some searching but could not really find anything summed up in one place. I have found various things scattered but it seems everything I think I understand something else comes up and gets me all mixed up again.

It is hard to tell which terms are upgrades of same technology vs. a totally new technology. For instance I am trying to figure out PCS1900 vs CDMA in 800 band or 800SMR bands? I know the lower frequency typically gets through buildings better but where does the difference in PCS versus CDMA come in? Is CDMA800 the same thing as the SMR 850 but just a different frequency or is it totally different technology on different frequencies?

PCS is just the name given to 1900mhz. I believe PCS stands for Personal Communication Services.

CDMA is a technology.

850 and 800 are two different bands. Originally 850 was just called 800, because only iDEN devices used 800SMR. So when you see 800cellular or 850 cellular, it is the same thing. 800SMR is different. It is the band right below 850.

CDMA800 could mean 850Cellular or 800SMR, but usually it is 850cellular, because it is only recently that CDMA was allowed to even use 800. Apple still uses CDMA800 to mean 850. Usually( At least what I have seen), is that a phone will state it supports 800/850/1900, which means that the first 800 is referring to 800SMR.

edit: I believe the best place to look for some understanding is the glossary section at phonescoop.

Here is their break down of CDMA800

• Like 1

Thank you very much, that does help a lot. That site will be perfect for me as I see it has many of the other definitions I was looking for.

Try wikipedia.org and search for different terms. I personally was amazed at different things i found at wiki. Unfortunately it takes a lot of time to filter everything trough. Also use a search on this site you, it's more broken down sometimes but still awesome.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• By lilotimz

Ericsson RRUS31 B25 + RRUS11 B26
      These are the newest and greatest remote radio units to come from Ericsson. 

The new Ericsson RRUS31  B25 should be fairly distinctive compared to the earlier RRUS11s and now the RRUS12s being deployed by ATT and Verizon. One of these new RRUS31s can do the job of two earlier RRUS11s thus reducing deployment costs for Sprint and complexity in deploying new sites and making it easier for users to spot as there are now 4 jumpers coming out of one RRUS31 rather than two from each RRUS11 that Ericsson originally deployed. 

All future deployments will be utilizing the new Ericsson RRUS31s. In addition Ericsson are sending crews to their original deployments and swapping out older RRUS11s for these new RRUS31s due to the aforementioned fact that one RRUS31 can do the job of 2 RRUS11s. Weight savings will be significant at sites where there are 4 or 5 RRUS11 B25s that can be replaced by one or 2 RRUS31s. The Ericsson RRUS31 deployment project is known as the 65 Mhz Project. 

Ericsson RRUS11 B26 top and RRUS31 B25 bottom

Ericsson High Capacity / 4x4/2 MIMO Deployment
      Note the additional antenna + PCS radio.
      Previously Ericsson utilized additional PCS radios and used RF combiners for high capacity setups where they utilized three or more PCS radios. This new setup will utilize a completey new antenna + radio set just like Samsung and run 4x2 MIMO on the LTE antenna / radio set. 

Ericsson RRUS11 B25 [EOL'd] and B26
      A standard Ericsson Network Vision 1.0 site with 3 RRUS11s where two are dedicated to PCS and one to SMR.  

This type of setup is no longer deployed or utilized in new sites. Existing sites will be slowly converted to newer RRUS31 B25 via the Sprint 65 mhz project. 

Ericsson NV high capacity site [EOL'd]
      3 or 4 PCS RRUs are present for a total of 4 or 5 RRUS11s per antenna. 

Close up of Antennas

Ericsson cabinets 

All credit to those who took the photographs. They know who they are!
    • By danlodish345
      Hey guys I found another newsletter about Sprint and Cox. I'll be posting the article here.
    • By lilotimz
      Here are the Alcatel-Lucent (ALU) Network Vision equipment for Sprint. Their equipment consists of 2x base stations, 6 or 9 Remote Radio Unit (RRU) setups, and 1 standard NV antenna of with connectors on the bottom (4x PCS, 2x SMR). 

Below are images of Alcatel-Lucent equipment. In these images, you will find Alcatel-Lucent base stations, Sprint Network Vision antennas, PCS 1900 & SMR 800 RRUs, and their configurations.
      Alcatel-Lucent 4x40w 25 MHz PCS 1900 B25 RRUs (Panasonic) [old]

Alcatel-Lucent  4x45w 1900 MHz B25 RRU 

ALU 2x50w B26 800 MHz RRU [KMW Communications]

Older Panasonic Setup [4x40w 25 MHz B25]

Standard Alcatel-Lucent Setup 
      Utilizes 2x50w 800 MHz B26 RRU and 4x45w 1900 MHz B25 RRU and compatible antennas. 

Closer Look at the connectors on the bottom of the antennas

Special Case Mexican IBEZ Setup
      Note the lack of 800 MHz RRUs though the antennas are capable of 800 MHz. 

High Capacity Setup

High Capacity no SMR 800 IBEZ setup

* Credits go to those whom took the images of these equipment. You know who you are."
    • By danlodish345
      hello everyone i m starting a thread for sprint network predictions for 2018. i am wishing sprint and s4gru a happy holidays and new years. 
      regards Daniel
    • By mikejeep
      Hello all,

I have been visiting S4GRU for quite some time, and one of the most common issues I see popping up is confusion from users--especially when they first get 4G LTE devices and/or LTE service--regarding their signal strengths. For some reason, the signal bars on many devices do not display what most users expect them to display. It seems strange that we have to enter special dialer codes just to see what our LTE signal is!

With that in mind, I started creating an Android app from scratch. I had never created an app before, so it took a few months before it was ready for the public, but its time has come. Robert and a few others have been beta testing it for me since October, and I recently released it onto Google Play. Robert gave me the go-ahead to give it a mention here on S4GRU, so here goes..

It's called SignalCheck, and it is available on Google Play here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Blue+Line+Computing
      The "Lite" version is free; the "Pro" version has a small one-time fee but includes a bunch of extras, including signal bars in the notification area, a widget, the ability to alert a user when they pick up an LTE or 800 SMR signal, one-button instant connection reset, the street address of the connected 1X site, and menu shortcuts to some screens that are usually only accessible with dialer codes. I intend to offer S4GRU Premier Sponsors special benefits in the near future, as soon as I figure out a feasible way to do that.

This is the first app I have ever developed, so I'd appreciate any and all feedback, both positive and negative. I have been trying to educate myself as much as possible regarding cellular technologies, as I didn't know much before I started this project. My goal is to make this app as accurate and useful as possible for all the "nerds" on here.. myself included!

I intend to continue squashing bugs as they are reported, and adding features as they are requested. As I learn more about Android programming and cellular technology, I'll improve things. Please let me know what you would like to see, and I'll do what I can.
      My "Beta Crew" helps test out the app before public updates are pushed out. Membership is by invite only but anyone is welcome to join in our discussions or get a sneak peek at what is going on (see thread here).
      Links:  SignalCheck Help / FAQ  |  Change Log  |  To-Do "Wish" List  |  Known Issues  |  SignalCheck on Google Play
      Here are some screen shots from a previous version.. there have been tweaks since this release, but this is basically what you get: