Network Vision/LTE - South Carolina Market (Columbia/Greenville/Spartanburg)

wyndd123

Just got back from Columbiana Centre Mall in Columbia, SC and saw an Acatel Lucent van in the parking lot. Don't know if it has anything do do with Sprint NV, but it's the first one i've seen in the area. Had license plates from Florida. :D

• Like 1

Any updates from this market? I'll be visiting in a few weeks and would love to see some improvements lol. Coming from Florida I've been spoiled with an otherwise great network and find the network in SC to be nothing short of abysmal.

You guys could use the 800mhz coverage more than anyone else.

Anyone know how much spectrum has on the market on the off chance?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Any updates from this market? I'll be visiting in a few weeks and would love to see some improvements lol. Coming from Florida I've been spoiled with an otherwise great network and find the network in SC to be nothing short of abysmal.

It looks like there are some GMO sites In Progress. That's about it so far.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

I can tell you that 3G speeds have definitely increased across the SC area. I rarely ever get below .20 Mbps anymore on download speeds. More like .6-1.5 Mpbs in most locations now. The band aid fixes have definitely helped, and should let us limp along until NV gets started here, which should be ongoing now.

What are the implications of this?

Right now, it means that these sites won't be getting 800 CDMA coverage at this time. As long as the legacy panels support it, and adequate backhaul is installed, they will be upgraded to LTE when possible. At the end of Network Vision, they should receive full NV upgrades, which means new panels and 800 CDMA support.

Right now, it means that these sites won't be getting 800 CDMA coverage at this time. As long as the legacy panels support it, and adequate backhaul is installed, they will be upgraded to LTE when possible. At the end of Network Vision, they should receive full NV upgrades, which means new panels and 800 CDMA support.

So they can broadcast LTE with the legacy panels? I thought they'd need new panels to do so.

So they can broadcast LTE with the legacy panels? I thought they'd need new panels to do so.

So did I, but apparently as long as they are capable of broadcasting the right frequencies, no new panels are needed. They just won't see the signal improvements that other sites with new equipment will, or 800 support until the end of NV.

So did I, but apparently as long as they are capable of broadcasting the right frequencies, no new panels are needed. They just won't see the signal improvements that other sites with new equipment will, or 800 support until the end of NV.

Ah, gotcha. I'm not too worried about 800 support b/c my device doesn't support it anyway. Will be moving to Charlotte by summer, so it's ok with me whatever they do here in Columbia, haha.

Up around Broad River. Spend a fair amount of time in downtown too and never got service that was anything close to comparable to the service in Florida :/

Hmm, I've never really had coverage issues here in Columbia. Only awful speeds, pretty much unusable. But since the band-aid fixes, it's at least usable for now. It's gotten better in the last 3 months or so.

That's really a shame because Columbia needed the coverage increase badly. I was always roaming there.

Columbia doesn't have GMO's. They are full build sites. We were just discussing the sites In Progress right now in the SC market are GMO's. Full builds will be starting in a few months.

• Like 1

Columbia doesn't have GMO's. They are full build sites. We were just discussing the sites In Progress right now in the SC market are GMO's. Full builds will be starting in a few months.

Ah completely misunderstood that. Thanks for the clarification!

• 2 weeks later...
I see that the upstate has had a little progress. I did see a site that was never listed "in progress" area and when to straight to full 3g competition.

Only a fraction of sites in progress actually end up getting marked in our maps.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Stopped by a site in Bishopville, SC this afternoon on the way home from work. This is a site listed as "In Progress" on the maps. Here are a few pictures. I can't tell if anything has been done however.

8473998565_4908e3c919.jpg

Hawkins Rd, Bishopville, SC by rrxingmtr, on Flickr

8473998279_8f48fb5de6.jpg

Hawkins Rd, Bishopville, SC by rrxingmtr, on Flickr

Stopped by a site in Bishopville, SC this afternoon on the way home from work. This is a site listed as "In Progress" on the maps. Here are a few pictures. I can't tell if anything has been done however.

I don't see any new AlcaLu base cabinets nor RRU's yet. There will likely not be new panels as this is a GMO site. It's possible, but not likely, that they took over one of the Nextel buildings on site.

Can anyone tell from these number if this is an old Nextel Panel. I do hope my picture comes up, my first pic post.

It's not visible on my tablet. I'll try to check it out when I get in front of a computer, unless someone else comes along.

It's not visible on my tablet. I'll try to check it out when I get in front of a computer, unless someone else comes along.

Yea, not sure if you can see it at all. I Did get pictures to upload in NV sites complete thread, if you want look in that thread. Question: I tried to up load more picures of the same site in a different post in the same thread, but keep getting an a message about "global upload quota" . Is there a daily upload cap?