"Korea's SK Telecom launches multi-frequency network for more stable LTE"

xcharles718

Thought this wouldn't be something we'll see until LTE-Advanced started rolling out...

http://www.theverge....ier-lte-network

Korean carrier SK Telecom is hoping to push the limits of LTE speed by combining multiple frequencies in one network. At the beginning of July, it launched the first commercial Multi Carrier (MC) network, which combines frequencies from the 800MHz and 1.8GHz bands and distributes traffic between them as necessary, keeping service stable even during high use times. Currently, service is only available in Seoul's Gangnam district; the rest of the city and areas in six other metropolitan centers should see it by the end of the year, with more expansions to follow. A pilot program has been running since May.

We first heard about this project in January; although SK Telecom didn't give network speeds in its latest announcement, it previously said users would see 60Mbps download speeds this year and 100Mbps by 2013. Phones that can support the system, meanwhile, are apparently coming soon. The Pantech Vega Racer 2 and Samsung Galaxy S III are getting a firmware update that will make them compatible later this month, and "most" smartphones released in the second half of 2012 should have support built in.

Is this the future of 5G?

No. SK Telecom is simply running in parallel an LTE 850/1800 network, much like Sprint will be running in parallel an LTE 800/1900 network.

AJ

I can't believe Broadcom is already talking about 5G WiFi.

http://www.5gwifi.org/

That's just marketers creaming themselves. There was no 4G or 3G WiFi. It's just hype.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 2

That's just marketers creaming themselves.

I hate to imagine what might happen if thelasthallow finds out about this 5G Wi-Fi.

AJ

• Like 1

There aren't even benchmarks set for 5G...

The hype machine is rolling full bore.

I thought 5g was set for 1gbs

Sent from my CM9 Epic 4g Touch using Forum Runner

No. SK Telecom is simply running in parallel an LTE 850/1800 network, much like Sprint will be running in parallel an LTE 800/1900 network.

AJ

I thought that 800MHz was just for propagation and deep indoor service where 1900MHz isn't available.

Traffic distribution over different frequencies is a part of NV?

• Like 1

I thought that 800MHz was just for propagation and deep indoor service where 1900MHz isn't available.

Traffic distribution over different frequencies is a part of NV?

Yes, Sprint will use 800MHz for capacity too. However, LTE 1900 will be a higher usage carrier. 800 will just be for shedding users when 1900 is nearing capacity, and of course for users outside of 1900 range (like in basements, bunkers and edge of service areas).

Robert

• Like 2

Yes, Sprint will use 800MHz for capacity too. However, LTE 1900 will be a higher usage carrier. 800 will just be for shedding users when 1900 is nearing capacity, and of course for users outside of 1900 range (like in basements, bunkers and edge of service areas).

Robert

I assumed that this whole "World's First" was that this would load balance(pilot) devices between 800 & 1800 has needed. I understand that(Sprint) has capacity on 800MHz, but I thought that their intention is that your device would generally just be using what ever signal is usable(but higher; 2500>1900>800).

I assumed that this whole "World's First" was that this would load balance(pilot) devices between 800 & 1800 has needed. I understand that(Sprint) has capacity on 800MHz, but I thought that their intention is that your device would generally just be using what ever signal is usable(but higher; 2500>1900>800).

Because Clearwire and Sprint's deal for LTE is usage based, the order will most likely be 1900 > 800 > 2600.

They will not allow the 800 carrier get to 100% usage, so users will likely get shunted over to 2600 before the carrier starts getting full. LTE network management allows a lot more controls than CDMA and EcIo ratios.

Robert

• Like 1

Because Clearwire and Sprint's deal for LTE is usage based, the order will most likely be 1900 > 800 > 2600.

They will not allow the 800 carrier get to 100% usage, so users will likely get shunted over to 2600 before the carrier starts getting full. LTE network management allows a lot more controls than CDMA and EcIo ratios.

Robert

I see. As for Clearwire, their LTE would only be available in "Hot Zones", where more likely than not, Sprint will run into capacity issues(outside of small cells), so this should really be a money maker for Clear.

• Like 1

I see. As for Clearwire, their LTE would only be available in "Hot Zones", where more likely than not, Sprint will run into capacity issues(outside of small cells), so this should really be a money maker for Clear.

Once NV is done and Sprint is profitable, clearwire needs to be absorbed so that 2600mhz can be the priority in the densely populated, urban areas where these hot spots will exist.