Report Your LTE Connection Here

Now that you mention "half capacity"' date=' it's one thing I've been wondering lately. How many people connected to a tower would be full capacity? I'm sure it depends on the number of carriers. But how many people per carrier?[/quote']

There is no decisive answer to your question. However, I have seen that a 5MHz channel design capacity is 60 active users and 10MHz is 120 per sector. But I have seen so many caveats to these numbers that I wonder how meaningful they are.

It actually can be hundreds connected. Its not the number of total data sessions connected, it depends on what they are doing. In normal usage, each sector is said to handle approximately 60 active data sessions with a 5x5 LTE carrier. Or 180 for the whole cell. But if they were all doing intense usage, the number could be far less. Or if they were doing things like email, using apps, streaming radio, it could handle hundreds per sector. Loads are going to vary greatly from site to site.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

C-plane capacity:

[*]LTE - At least 200 users per cell should be supported in the active state for spectrum allocations up to 5 MHz.

[*]LTE Advanced - At least 300 active users without DRX in a 5 MHz bandwidth.

Source

And with 3 sectors per tower thats 900 users

It really depends on how you define users. In this exercise, a User is someone assigned an IP address. If they are users consuming average streaming bandwidth, the number supported is far less and more in line with my numbers above.

The numbers I listed came straight from Sprint FIT reports.

EDIT: Your source says 200 users per cell, not sector. That's more in line with Sprint FIT reports which claim 180 per cell. So 200 per cell is 66 per sector.

• Like 1

Could you take a screen shot of netmoniter while connected. it may help identify the tower connected to

I would but it looks like I've burned most of my 500k limit.

I'm in Kansas City near the cross section of K-10 and K-7 and have been getting LTE for about a week and a half. Do the GPS coordinates on this screen shot help identify the tower?

This is very cool, I live right in that area. Very excited to get my EVO LTE next week. I'll report what I see when I get it, assuming I get it before the official launch.

Edited by Dkoellerwx

I would but it looks like I've burned most of my 500k limit.

500k limit?

An LTE downlink is comprised of Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex (OFDM) subcarriers. This is the frequency division aspect of LTE. A 5 MHz downlink contains 300 subcarriers, which are organized into groups of 12 called Resource Blocks (RB). Thus, a 5 MHz downlink also contains 25 RBs. Each active user is assigned, at minimum, one RB. So, from a frequency division standpoint, a 5 MHz downlink can support up to 25 active users per sector.

Now, LTE uses not only frequency division but also time division. Coming up later, I will detail how each RB can be allocated to different active users on a time division basis, thereby multiplying the maximum possible number of active users to >25 per sector.

AJ

• Like 3

Wait for it.........

Sent from my Jelly Bean Toro using Forum Runner

I'm waiting for it. I'm wondering if it is going to be like a commercial break wait, or should I go ahead and get the ribs ready for the smoker. Gotta prepare my dry rub. The secret ingredient is Chimayó Red.

• Like 2

C-plane capacity:

• LTE - At least 200 users per cell should be supported in the active state for spectrum allocations up to 5 MHz.
  • LTE Advanced - At least 300 active users without DRX in a 5 MHz bandwidth.

There is no decisive answer to your question. However, I have seen that a 5MHz channel design capacity is 60 active users and 10MHz is 120 per sector. But I have seen so many caveats to these numbers that I wonder how meaningful they are.

An LTE downlink is comprised of Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex (OFDM) subcarriers. This is the frequency division aspect of LTE. A 5 MHz downlink contains 300 subcarriers, which are organized into groups of 12 called Resource Blocks (RB). Thus, a 5 MHz downlink also contains 25 RBs. Each active user is assigned, at minimum, one RB. So, from a frequency division standpoint, a 5 MHz downlink can support up to 25 active users per sector.

Now, LTE uses not only frequency division but also time division. Coming up later, I will detail how each RB can be allocated to different active users on a time division basis, thereby multiplying the maximum possible number of active users to >25 per sector.

AJ

Thanks guys. I love this site! :)

I'm waiting for it. I'm wondering if it is going to be like a commercial break wait' date=' or should I go ahead and get the ribs ready for the smoker. Gotta prepare my dry rub. The secret ingredient is Chimayó Red.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner[/quote']

Chimayó Red? Sounds exotic. Here in Minnesota, people think ketchup is spicy (not me) so proper spice is hard to come by.

Could you take a screen shot of netmoniter while connected. it may help identify the tower connected to

I appear to be jumping around 4 towers (labeled 1875, 2658, 2659, and 5729 in netmonitor) . They must be working on them tonight as I have a stronger signal than I've had in the past, but the actual performance is all over the board and mostly bad.

I took some screenshots from netmonitor. There are more than I could attach to this post, so I attached the map and details of the tower I connect to the most and a link to the others pics. Please let me know if the link doesn't work, or if this isn't the info you are looking for.

https://www.dropbox....1bkj/1aLH6Y5RUS

post-2578-0-58605200-1341374552_thumb.png

post-2578-0-68462800-1341374596_thumb.png

Chimayó Red? Sounds exotic. Here in Minnesota, people think ketchup is spicy (not me) so proper spice is hard to come by.

Ketchup spicey? Huh? Maybe the Tabasco flavored one.

Tony chachere for me all day long....

http://www.tonychachere.com/

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 2

Ketchup spicey? Huh? Maybe the Tabasco flavored one.

Tony chachere for me all day long....

http://www.tonychachere.com/

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I use a little Tony Cajun in my rub. :)

We left off previously with a 5 MHz LTE downlink divided into 300 OFDM subcarriers, which were grouped by 12 into 25 RBs. Technically speaking, a RB also carries a time division element. So, let us explore that next.

Starting with a single second, an LTE downlink is divided into 100 frames, each 10 ms in duration. Each frame is divided into 10 subframes, each 1 ms in duration. And each subframe is divided into two slots. Finally, each slot is divided into six or seven sequential RF symbols, but these RF symbols cannot be individually scheduled.

So, from a scheduling standpoint, the slot is the minimum unit of time. As a result, a single RB assigned to an active user is more accurately defined as that RB assigned for one slot. In other words, the minimum allocation that an active user can receive is 12 subcarriers assigned for 0.5 ms.

If we were to assume that each active user requires a constant flow of data, hence each active user must be assigned at least one slot per frame, then the theoretical maximum number of active users that a 5 MHz downlink could simultaneously support per sector would be 500 (e.g. 25 RBs per 5 MHz × 20 slots per frame = 500).

AJ

• Like 1

I appear to be jumping around 4 towers (labeled 1875, 2658, 2659, and 5729 in netmonitor) . They must be working on them tonight as I have a stronger signal than I've had in the past, but the actual performance is all over the board and mostly bad.

I took some screenshots from netmonitor. There are more than I could attach to this post, so I attached the map and details of the tower I connect to the most and a link to the others pics. Please let me know if the link doesn't work, or if this isn't the info you are looking for.

https://www.dropbox....1bkj/1aLH6Y5RUS

So let me ask this question since I don't know the answer to this

Since your phone is jumping from tower to tower, let's say only one is an lte tower, will ur phone connect to the lte tower and stay on that tower or will it still be jumping around to the other towers as well?

Anyone who has an answer to this question, I thank in advance.

My phone also jumps between 3 towers and only one is a NV tower with lte, so I'd Luke to know what to expect once the 15th comes around

My phone also jumps between 3 towers and only one is a NV tower with lte, so I'd Luke to know what to expect once the 15th comes around

Who is Luke?

AJ

On the Sprint Campus. Is more info needed or wanted? Yes I'm new.

Select one of your speed tests so we can see the GPS coordinates

On the Sprint Campus. Is more info needed or wanted? Yes I'm new.

Shoulda' thought of that.

When you say in the Sprint Campus, you mean in the Sprint Campus. :)

It must be DAS with LTE, around the whole campus. Do you get it everywhere around the campus?

Robert

It must be DAS with LTE, around the whole campus. Do you get it everywhere around the campus?

Robert

I was looking at the Premier map and none of the Campus antenna's are online yet

Robert

I've only played with it in one spot, so I don't know about the rest of the campus. I'll leave netmonitor running and see how that goes.

• Like 1