Network Vision/LTE - Lower Central Valley Market (Fresno, Bakersfield, Visalia)

aelenes

Clovis rejects Sprint/SBA plan to upgrade cell tower. American flag wins. Residents did not like idea of removing flag or keeping the flag with a fatter upper tower portion.

http://abc30.com/politics/hedricks-chevrolet-wins-fight-to-keep-american-flag-flying-for-now/959121/

Think they were trying to add Spark equipment? 

Edited by Volaris

Clovis rejects Sprint/SBA plan to upgrade cell tower. American flag wins. Residents did not like idea of removing flag or keeping the flag with a fatter upper tower portion.

http://abc30.com/politics/hedricks-chevrolet-wins-fight-to-keep-american-flag-flying-for-now/959121/

Think they were trying to add Spark equipment? 

Yes indeed.  I am as patriotic as the next guy.  But there is a way to have the flag and Sprint install their equipment.  Residents are being pretty unreasonable.  If I was SBA, I would just build a new one nearby, then just dismantle this one.  Let this citizens erect and maintain their own flag pole.  Meanwhile Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T flagpole sites were allowed to be upgraded.

• Like 2

That flag is pretty important; removing it (even temporarily) would result in one hell of a stink. The problem with that tower is that it is tapered; normally they are the same diameter all the way up. Before they added the NV gear (and added a slightly wider sheath at the top) I'll bet very few people knew it was more than a flagpole.

It would seem like there would be an amicable way to work this out. The flag is great there, absolutely huge and looks phenomenal but that tower needs to be upgraded as It does serve the eastern part of the  university and the new shopping area, which desperately needs more coverage (especially in the early part of semesters, like now). I would think someone might be able to donate a seperate flag pole they could put there or ???? 

Maybe they can build a new flagpole adjacent, that is just a flagpole. Then allow them to upgrade the existing site with a wide diameter pole to accommodate gear. Then just leave that as a stealth pole site with nothing on it. That seems like the best option.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

EDIT: I see mikeclar was thinking the same thing I was as I was typing it out, then got distracted. You beat me!!! ;)

According to the article from the newspaper / Fresno Bee, building another flagpole is another option (that SBA seems to have proposed), but that would require SBA to buy more land and residents don't want any other poles near the flag as it would detract from Clovis' single most iconic feature. 

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article32605071.html

Seems like that flag is serious business in Clovis, and SBA is responsible for it. In comparison, nobody said a thing in Hanford when our biggest flag on our busiest intersection was bulldozed to make space for a CVS parking. (where Valley Ford used to be)

I agree that that tower is really important; it sits next to Fresno State University. I wonder, if it already has 1900MHz/800MHz equipment, would just building Spark small cells work too? That would allow Sprint to bring 2.5GHz coverage and capacity closer to where the students/shoppers/users are located. There's only about a billion street light poles available for that in that area.

Edited by Volaris

It's unreasonable to say no new site (even a stealth site) and no modification to the existing.  It penalizes the very people who own and use the pole who gave the community a flag in good faith.  Hopefully the city will be more reasonable.

It's unreasonable to say no new site (even a stealth site) and no modification to the existing. It penalizes the very people who own and use the pole who gave the community a flag in good faith. Hopefully the city will be more reasonable.

Didn't the FCC lay down rulings exactly for situations like this?

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

so I have been dealing with issues with dropped calls in East Bakersfield any idea if they are going to fix this issue thanx

Should be fixed within the week. Most call issues I have here in Nevada are fixed within 3 days

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Should be fixed within the week. Most call issues I have here in Nevada are fixed within 3 days

I have been dealing with this issue since June & have been on the phone with Sprint since Sunday 

I have been dealing with this issue since June & have been on the phone with Sprint since Sunday

Sounds like an issue at the switch more than local towers. I hope they get it resolved soon

• 2 weeks later...

Sprint website showing sprint spark in corcoran 93212 I wonder when it will actually get here but i did have lte on Sunday

I imagine that's just coverage spillover from a tower east of it. Glad to hear you got some LTE on Sunday - Corcoran really needs it. 3G is so slow there.

It's also nice to see that Spark coverage on the coverage maps is much more realistic than before. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Great Trip to Oakland yesterday & I my phone to pick up band 26 speeds were not as fast as B41 yet better than B25 just had to share

I was at the Airport in Oakland yesterday and yes B26 has been rolled out pretty strong but within Terminal 1 you have B25 running. Speeds on B25 are about 10MB down and outside, B26 is running about 15MB. As soon you get to the BART station you have B41 at speeds of 30+MB.

• Like 2

Is this sprint equipment

The bottom looks like T-Mobile 700MHz LTE. Is this the tower next to 43? I'm pretty sure the Sprint tower is on the other side of town on Whitley near 7th (check the sponsor maps to confirm location).

• Like 1

The bottom looks like T-Mobile 700MHz LTE. Is this the tower next to 43? I'm pretty sure the Sprint tower is on the other side of town on Whitley near 7th (check the sponsor maps to confirm location).

Ya it's the tower by 43 an the other tower is Whitley and 6 1/2 witch is sprint

• Like 1

I was at the Airport in Oakland yesterday and yes B26 has been rolled out pretty strong but within Terminal 1 you have B25 running. Speeds on B25 are about 10MB down and outside, B26 is running about 15MB. As soon you get to the BART station you have B41 at speeds of 30+MB.

Yeah B25 and B26 speeds here have improved lately. They've been tweaking the load balancing, especially within the last week. I've noticed I rarely idle on B26 anymore, and actually hang onto a weak (-112) B41 signal much more frequently. Frustratingly, the weak B41 is pretty much unusable (0.2 Mbit and times out a lot), but when it eventually kicks over to B25, or when I get a better B41 signal, it's great.

30 down on B41 is really good, I rarely see above 20 anymore even with 2 carriers on the site.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty quite on here

We're the only two left.  :lol:

I'm not sure when this happened, but I noticed slightly better LTE signal while in downtown Hanford. Checked, and sure enough 800MHz LTE / band 26 is here.

r7Cob9D.jpg

I then went to Smart & Final in the eastern part of Hanford (a known place with horrible data on Sprint). Surprisingly, 3G seemed more solid (didn't drop to 1X) but LTE didn't reach in inside. Then again, I'm not sure what towers have 800MHz LTE. Still though, Costco (and others) are coming to that area (highway 43 and 198) so I wonder if Sprint will bring back that old Nextel tower back to life at that intersection... might be along the path of the bullet train, though.

• Like 2