EVO LTE Heat

Odell

For the record, my evolte runs a lot cooler than my evo 3d, og evo, touch pro 2 and definitely the touch pro 1. If anyone had a touch pro 1, they should know what I am talking about. That thing overheated faster than a nuclear reactor that just lost its cooling system. As a matter of fact my gnex gets quite a bit warmer than my evolte as well.

• Like 1

Other than the instances where the radio has to work harder, this phone runs very cool. For instance, the restrooms in one area of our shop get very poor reception. I tried sending a text just moments before I entered that area. I was visiting the facilities for an extended period of time (can you say Chipotle for lunch?) and the phone was trying to send the text the whole time. The back of the phone was very warm by the time I returned to a good signal area. Within 10 minutes or so the temperature was back to normal.

Under normal conditions I have no problems with the temp of this phone. I would say it's on par with my OG Evo. This new one does get noticeably warmer if I am charging and running navigation at the same time. The OG Evo didn't really have that problem. At least not while I was running stock before rooting.

When I am at work I have a hard time getting a decent signal, but I still get a 3g connection most of the the time. Haven't noticed any heat issues. I use my phone for playing netflix, and I stream video from my sling box to my phone alot. I use wi-fi for my streaming no lte in my area for awhile. Still haven't noticed any heat problems, gets a little warm after running sling player for a couple of hours but not too noticeable.

The only time I have had serious heat is when I use telenav with my phone charging, then it gets smoking hot.

When I am at work I have a hard time getting a decent signal, but I still get a 3g connection most of the the time. Haven't noticed any heat issues. I use my phone for playing netflix, and I stream video from my sling box to my phone alot. I use wi-fi for my streaming no lte in my area for awhile. Still haven't noticed any heat problems, gets a little warm after running sling player for a couple of hours but not too noticeable.

The only time I have had serious heat is when I use telenav with my phone charging, then it gets smoking hot.

I actually tested this the other day. In an area of my building where I get basically no data or cell signal I was playing some Flick Golf for about 20 mins or so and the phone got really hot. My battery temp app was over 43 celsius. Later the same day I went into the same area, put my phone on Airplane mode and played the same game with just a slight rise in the feeling of heat from the phone. Typical for game playing. In either case, when I return to the area where I get good cell signal and get wifi, the temp drops fairly rapidly.

It's apparent to me that in my case it's related to the radios.

So, essentially it's "Scotty, we need more power!" And with the increased radio power comes increased temps?

Yep. Exactly why your battery drains quicker in low signal areas. The phone has to "yell" louder to be heard by the tower.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 1

Odell, I am having the same exact issues as you are! Low signal = heat and all... Is this something that can be resolved by a software/firmware update? Or is it a hardware issue? I'm only asking to see if a replacement phone would be any different.

On another note, how is the HTC EVO LTE going to compare next to the SG3 radios? From the S4GRU break down of both phones the SG3 looks like it may have better signal reception :/

We won't know until someone tests then side by side in a fringe location. You can't go by just the numbers in the FCC docs as they doesn't make up for everything such as receiver sensitivity etc.

• Like 1

We won't know until someone tests then side by side in a fringe location. You can't go by just the numbers in the FCC docs as they doesn't make up for everything such as receiver sensitivity etc.

Yes, indeed. And that's a what I'm a going to do! :tu:

Robert via Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

On another note, how is the HTC EVO LTE going to compare next to the SG3 radios? From the S4GRU break down of both phones the SG3 looks like it may have better signal reception :/

Careful. We have published a comparison of transmission, not reception. Even then, the max power transmission results are a mixed bag. For example, the EVO LTE trumps the Galaxy S3 with ~3 dB higher max ERP for both CDMA1X 800 and CDMA1X 850. So, the EVO LTE may actually be the better handset for holding basic connection in fringe areas of both native and roaming coverage.

AJ

• Like 1

Yes, indeed. And that's a what I'm a going to do!

Curious to see them compared in a 850 roaming market if you have the area to do it.

Curious to see them compared in a 850 roaming market if you have the area to do it.

I have an area where I can only get 850MHz roaming that I intend to test the devices.

Careful. We have published a comparison of transmission, not reception. Even then, the max power transmission results are a mixed bag. For example, the EVO LTE trumps the Galaxy S3 with ~3 dB higher max ERP for both CDMA1X 800 and CDMA1X 850. So, the EVO LTE may actually be the better handset for holding basic connection in fringe areas of both native and roaming coverage.

AJ

Ah wonderful! Thank you very much for the clarification sir! Makes me feel somewhat better haha.

Now just wondering if my low signal issues are related to the heat issues I'm seeing. I think they are but I'm just trying to find out if I have a hardware problem or not.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

AJ

What is really odd is when I put the OG EVO and EVO LTE side by side on a table, floor, etc... the EVO LTE wins by a few dB! But once I pick both phones in my hand the OG EVO wins by a few dB? I tried holding both phones in different positions (two fingers at top, bottom, sides, palm holds, etc) but the results were always the same: OG EVO in hand and EVO LTE laying down? What is kinda odd too is that the OG EVO gains a few dBs when it is being touched but the EVO LTE almost loses some sometimes? I know a lot of you guys are really knowledgeable in this area and could explain why this happens? I don't have an EVO 3D but everyone is saying that both the OG EVO and EVO 3D both blow away the EVO LTE in signal strength and that simply isn't true from my testing! During my testing either device was 1-3dB from each other like i described above and I don't call that huge, but maybe I'm wrong?

Also the only time my phone has ever gotten hot is when I connected my MHL adapter. The battery just dropped very rapidly over the short half hour I used the adapter. And I have a Menotek Micro USB to HDMI MHL Adapter which I bought on Amazon for $12.99. The picture is amazing in 1080p on both a Samsung 51inch Plasma and 46inch Vizio! It also has RCP so I could use my TV remote controls to control the items on my phone. It worked enough to change pictures but not to do normal functions completely. The extremely fast battery drain and heat scared me a little but both stopped when I removed the MHL adapter. Also the USB charging didn't work on my EVO LTE so I couldn't change my phone like most people say you can. My Samsung didn't even need the power cable to be plugged in to work while the Vizio did. The picture is automatically underscanned so you have to change the screen size on your TV to get it to fit properly. I guess they did this as some TVs do not have a way to overscan. Also as soon as you plug in the MHL adapter an HDMI logo appears and the whole phone screen goes to landscape mode, even the homescreen! I don't know why HTC didn't enable landscape view of the homescreen out of MHL mode as I know many people like it and they have it built in for MHL HDMI mode. Everything displayed great like viewing Google Maps on my TV, phone calls, Flixster, Gallery, etc. The Gallery app has a great option to press play and it shows all your pictures with music and great transition animations very easily! I could even use the phone as a controller while I play games on my huge TV via the EVO LTE! Lag was minimal if any and everything looks great in 1080p. There are even little textures on everything in sense that you can see in 1080p that you normally can't see on the phone. I could get everything to play via my TV such as HBO Go,Netflix, YouTube, Comcast Xfinity app and more AWESOME! It's great as the old OG EVO would only show apps like the Gallery and YouTube after the apps were started and running where the MHL adapter allows you to see every-screen like a duplicate of your phone only in 1080p! I mean it could be done on the OG EVO but required root and toying around with and many ROMs wouldn't work via HDMI mirroring. With an MHL adapter you could make the EVO LTE into your home computer with a few special dock screens apps and a keyboard mouse combo addon. But the heat and battery issues scare me enough to want to get more info before I do it again! Has anyone else used an MHL adapter?

Lol, butter my bread.

Snapdragon S4 Thermal Comparison and Butter Benchmark:

Amazon Menotek Micro USB to HDMI MHL Adapter $12.99:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005F9W6DU

Thanks,

5th :)

Hey Odell you still having low signal heat issues? As well as poor signal?

The phone still gets hot if it is trying to do anything radio intensive while also in a poor signal area. The poor signal is related strictly to areas where I was always getting poor signal even with my OG Evo. The device itself is good as far as signal reception.

• Like 1

The phone still gets hot if it is trying to do anything radio intensive while also in a poor signal area. The poor signal is related strictly to areas where I was always getting poor signal even with my OG Evo. The device itself is good as far as signal reception.

Same issue here. Can/will that be fixed with a firmware update? Or is it a hardware issue. I'm on the 0001 prl and my heat issue is much better! For instance where I work, I would get 2-3 bars on my E4GT where as my ELTE gets one or just roams, which causes the severe heat issue.

They (HTC and Sprint) better get a software update out quick. For one, it's been speculated on here that the EVO LTE is a big part of why Sprint is still blocking LTE sites. Also, the EVO is the flagship Sprint smartphone brand. The GS3 is a nice device, but like the iPhone, it's a device that is getting out on multiple carriers from Day 1.

Same issue here. Can/will that be fixed with a firmware update? Or is it a hardware issue. I'm on the 0001 prl and my heat issue is much better! For instance where I work, I would get 2-3 bars on my E4GT where as my ELTE gets one or just roams, which causes the severe heat issue.

I wish I had an answer for you. Since mine only seems to occur under a specific set of circumstances and not all the time I can't say how exactly it could be fixed. For now I just operate according to the old joke; 'Doc it hurts when I do this" "Well don't do that!"

They (HTC and Sprint) better get a software update out quick. For one, it's been speculated on here that the EVO LTE is a big part of why Sprint is still blocking LTE sites. Also, the EVO is the flagship Sprint smartphone brand. The GS3 is a nice device, but like the iPhone, it's a device that is getting out on multiple carriers from Day 1.

I wish I had an answer for you. Since mine only seems to occur under a specific set of circumstances and not all the time I can't say how exactly it could be fixed. For now I just operate according to the old joke; 'Doc it hurts when I do this" "Well don't do that!"

Haha yea I agree but I can't not work at my job lol. Yea HTC and and sprint do need an update out asap! I'm thinking a firmware update will fix our issues.

Fraydog, I agree with you! What do you think about a possible fix or it being a hardware issue?

Why is the Evo holding up LTE deployments?

I think it has something to do with maintaining an LTE connection. I do know the one time I ran across an actively accessible LTE tower my connection was not stable. Unfortunately I was not in that area long enough to perform any substantial test.

dang my iPhone only gets hot when using 3g for extended period of time watching videos and music videos on vevo and going to a lot of website and downloading apps for maybe an hour at a time now web browsing takes a little longer to heat it up.