EVO LTE Heat

Odell

The only thing that is really starting to bother me about this new phone is the heat issue. It appears as if the radios are getting extremely hot, especially when reception is low. I had the same reception issues with my old Evo but never the accompanying heat.

Sprint reception (voice and data) at my home is spotty at best. I normally keep my Wi-Fi radio enabled so when I get home it automatically connects. Yesterday I turned the WiFi radio off at work to test something and never turned it back on. I got home and started doing several things around the house and never even took the phone out of my pocket. After about an hour I reached into my pocket to grab the phone and it was HOT! It was hotter than I've ever experienced in a phone and it was centered under the glossy portion of the backplate. My battery temp widget was reporting over 42C. I immediately tried to shut the device down and it was really unresponsive. Of course I couldn't do a battery pull but I finally got it off and left it off for a couple hours. Everything seems back to normal.

But I do notice greatly increased heat if I am in spotty coverage. I also notice it if I am taking several pictures in a row or shooting video that immediately uploads to my Dropbox.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?

The only thing that is really starting to bother me about this new phone is the heat issue. It appears as if the radios are getting extremely hot, especially when reception is low. I had the same reception issues with my old Evo but never the accompanying heat.

Sprint reception (voice and data) at my home is spotty at best. I normally keep my Wi-Fi radio enabled so when I get home it automatically connects. Yesterday I turned the WiFi radio off at work to test something and never turned it back on. I got home and started doing several things around the house and never even took the phone out of my pocket. After about an hour I reached into my pocket to grab the phone and it was HOT! It was hotter than I've ever experienced in a phone and it was centered under the glossy portion of the backplate. My battery temp widget was reporting over 42C. I immediately tried to shut the device down and it was really unresponsive. Of course I couldn't do a battery pull but I finally got it off and left it off for a couple hours. Everything seems back to normal.

But I do notice greatly increased heat if I am in spotty coverage. I also notice it if I am taking several pictures in a row or shooting video that immediately uploads to my Dropbox.

What you have to do is simply go to Dropbox & Turn off the auto camera uploads feature within the Dropbox app on the phone and possibly the site as well. I noticed the heat issue as well but I have not been experiencing it on the same level as you. You are more than welcome to PM me if you need help on anything.

What you have to do is simply go to Dropbox & Turn off the auto camera uploads feature within the Dropbox app on the phone and possibly the site as well. I noticed the heat issue as well but I have not been experiencing it on the same level as you. You are more than welcome to PM me if you need help on anything.

I only mentioned the auto upload as it is indicative of a radio issue. Turning it off won't significantly impact my overall heat issue.

Are you running completely stock software?

Only reason I ask is that I was having major heat issues with GPS on my HTC Hero after I loaded CM(6?) on it...

Tell me about it. I had gps issues with CM6 and 7 on my old Evo. Heat, battery, etc.

This only seems to manifest when the radios have to work a little bit more than usual.

Please keep us informed as to when the issue gets resolved. I haven't ran out and bought a new device yet since LTE isn't in my area yet (then again neither is Wimax) I would like to see if the SGS3 turns out to have the same issues before swapping out any of my 5 lines.

Also, has anyone heard any rumors on new LTE devices that will be launched this year?? If I recall correctly, they were going to launch 15 (or was that 30?) LTE capable devices this year. By my count we only have 5 offered (Galaxy Nexus, EVO LTE, SGS3, MIFI Tri-fi hotspot, viper.

We have yet to see any LTE tablets and data cards(who uses those anymore?) and obviously the next iteration of the iPhone will likely be LTE capable.

So excluding the upcoming iPhone5, there still remains 9 devices which remain to be seen in the wild and the bulk of them are to be phones(LG LS970 Quadcore?) We should be seeing at least 4 new handsets boasting LTE other than what was announced thusfar

according to the battery monitor app i use, ive found the LTE stays considerably cooler than the 3D did. my 3d would be around 110-115F when i was at my house with a spotty signal. the LTE has been usually right around 100-105F.

• Like 1

I have not enountered this heat problem so far. It's gotten a little warm a couple times, similar to the OG, but nothing near alarming or affecting performance as far as I have noticed. I'm also stock, unrooted.

My EVO 4G LTE really heats up when I'm watching Videos. :D

Strangely enough, I don't have this issue. It does get warm but nothing excessive. Generally watching the vids via HBO Go over wi-fi, so that may be the determining factor.

I think it really depends on the type of videos you're watching. The ones you watch in the bathroom with the volume down low so your wife can't hear really tend to generate a lot of heat.

• Like 2

I think it really depends on the type of videos you're watching. The ones you watch in the bathroom with the volume down low so your wife can't hear really tend to generate a lot of heat.

The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the meat.

AJ

• Like 6

AJ

Hahaha!

My Viper heats up when I browse the internet our talk on the phone for a period of time. I think it's the radios too, and a firmware update should fix it in the future.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

I thought this was a family forum. Now I gotta minimize the screen when I walk away from my desk? For S4GRU? For shame!

• Like 1

Did you figure in the sag of the bag?

Don't forget to consider the mass of the ass

I thought this was a family forum. Now I gotta minimize the screen when I walk away from my desk? For S4GRU? For shame!

(the angle of the dangle) ÷ (the sag of the bag) - (the mass of the ass) = the coefficient of Odell's shame

AJ

• Like 9

Do you think it could be the processors instead of the radios, they are fairly new correct?

It's possible it is the processors but I don't seem to notice the extreme heat levels when playing games or doing other processor intensive activities. I notice it when I am doing more radio heavy activities, like uploading photos, or in areas of poor signal.

How much of the noticeable heat could be attributed to having a much thinner and lighter phone? Is it possible that most of our previous phones got to similar temps, but because they were much bulkier we didn't really notice?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

How much of the noticeable heat could be attributed to having a much thinner and lighter phone? Is it possible that most of our previous phones got to similar temps' date=' but because they were much bulkier we didn't really notice?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2[/quote']

Interesting idea. More mass to disperse the heat within the unit. Hmmmm...

Robert via Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner