• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can sprint do 2xca or 10x10mhz in Houston on band 25?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post on previous page makes me believe no, it can't do either.  They only have the G Block 5x5, 5 MHz D and  5 MHz E block.  As long as cdma is active they can't do much with their PCS there, but Houston seems to be getting quite a few small cells.

• Like 1

Post on previous page makes me believe no, it can't do either. They only have the G Block 5x5, 5 MHz D and 5 MHz E block. As long as cdma is active they can't do much with their PCS there, but Houston seems to be getting quite a few small cells.

Nice ! Asking for a buddy of mine. He says drop to b25&26 are still happening more frequent

Nice ! Asking for a buddy of mine. He says drop to b25&26 are still happening more frequent

Poorly spaced market + dense trees (Oaks, pines pecan, etc) make B41 pretty hard to get, even for small cells. The range is very limited unless you have a clean line of sight. This leads to overloaded B25/26 since B41 acts like an outdoor network only for the most part.

As said earlier, Sprint only has 30 MHz of PCS+G spectrum. The original 20 MHz isn't paired and it's being used for 3G services (one 1xRTT + three Evdo) while the 10 MHz in the g block make the lone PCS LTE carrier (5x5). There is very little chance the other carriers swap spectrum since everyone else already has their spectrum paired (except At&t, but I doubt they care to add their last 10 MHz to their already contiguous 40 MHz). Verizon also has terrible spacing issues, but it's not as bad as Sprint and they make up for it by splitting cells. It seems everyone but Sprint is doing that down there.

800 MHz LTE is congested for Sprint. Forget about even browsing during peak hours on B26. On the bright side, 1x800 has made Sprint the most reliable carrier when it comes to voice.

TLDR; This ain't El Paso. We got trees blocking B41, thus making B25/26 congested.

I enjoy the videos you make btw. Ever thought about making a video about wireless in Juarez?

Edited by greenbastard

Post on previous page makes me believe no, it can't do either.  They only have the G Block 5x5, 5 MHz D and  5 MHz E block.  As long as cdma is active they can't do much with their PCS there, but Houston seems to be getting quite a few small cells.

Do you happen to know where some of these small cells are located so far?  I have found tons of small cells but they usually end up being the zayo tmo small cells.  I found a couple sprint small cells but thats it.. about 2. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good news for those of you in Houston. Sprint has finally thinned out 3G on the PCS band. They have shut off EVDO channels 725 and 775 in favor of a second LTE carrier (1965-1970 MHz). They've also done some optimization where LTE is now going in deeper into buildings and holding on even longer (looks like they lowered the qrxlevmin).

I'm disappointed it took them over a year and a half after San Antonio did this. But impressed nonetheless. I guess Calling+ is about to see a massive push.

• Like 4

Good news for those of you in Houston. Sprint has finally thinned out 3G on the PCS band. They have shut off EVDO channels 725 and 775 in favor of a second LTE carrier (1965-1970 MHz). They've also done some optimization where LTE is now going in deeper into buildings and holding on even longer (looks like they lowered the qrxlevmin).

I'm disappointed it took them over a year and a half after San Antonio did this. But impressed nonetheless. I guess Calling+ is about to see a massive push.

I noticed that earlier this week in the parking garage at my office. I didn't know if it was something new or just an error with the signal check pro app.  I'm near the Galleria off of 59/Southwest Freeway and New Castle.

I get a solid B41 signal in my office so this isn't important to me here but it'll be nice around town when not on B41.

wnOVYbRl.jpg

Kbad342l.jpg

• Like 1

I noticed that earlier this week in the parking garage at my office. I didn't know if it was something new or just an error with the signal check pro app. I'm near the Galleria off of 59/Southwest Freeway and New Castle.

I get a solid B41 signal in my office so this isn't important to me here but it'll be nice around town when not on B41.

I first noticed it Tuesday. I'm assuming Sprint was undergoing testing way before then since the EVDO channels in that block weren't accessible this past weekend. I should have checked with Network Signal Guru, but I felt too lazy to root.

I wonder what other markets also saw spectrum reallocation? The new PRL that came out recently probably reflected the removal of those channels. I guess anytime we see a new PRL, it can also mean Sprint is reallocating spectrum and launching new LTE carriers.

Kind of weird timing too with the hurricane brewing in the gulf. I hope two voice carriers are enough to handle the demand.

This is such great news!! thanks for sharing.  Unfortunately I damaged my htc 10 sunday and im waiting for the replacement one to come in... :( so i dont get to take advantage of this change.  Hopefully it will be in today!! if not... with the storming coming in i doubt i will get it until like wednesday. 

Quick question.  Were they able to do this because of the swap with ATT?

Thanks again!! 

This is such great news!! thanks for sharing. Unfortunately I damaged my htc 10 sunday and im waiting for the replacement one to come in... :( so i dont get to take advantage of this change. Hopefully it will be in today!! if not... with the storming coming in i doubt i will get it until like wednesday.

Quick question. Were they able to do this because of the swap with ATT?

Thanks again!!

I haven't checked to see if At&t had a spectrum swap with Sprint lately. I believe the last time At&t swapped spectrum in Houston was with Verizon were they lost spectrum in Houston and gained somewhere else (iirc...memory is foggy). At&t, for the time being, is set. They have one wide 20x20 LTE carrier in the PCS band that unfortunately sits right smack in the middle of Sprint's G block and E block. Not much incentive for them to move.

But if Sprint/At&t did swap spectrum on paper, then it hasn't happened in the field. The center DL for EVDO channels 725 and 775 were 1966.25 mhz and 1968.75 mhz, respectively. The center DL for the new LTE carrier is 1967.5 mhz

This was just good old fashioned spectrum repurposing. The E block to be exact.

Edited by greenbastard

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if Sprint changed the LTE TDD configuration to configuration 2? I decided to run a speedtest in my office and got 14Mb/s down 2 Mb/s up, where it used to be about 9Mb/s down and 4.5Mb/s up. I'm using a Moto G4 Plus which does NOT have carrier aggregation btw.

43 minutes ago, avb said:

Does anyone know if Sprint changed the LTE TDD configuration to configuration 2? I decided to run a speedtest in my office and got 14Mb/s down 2 Mb/s up, where it used to be about 9Mb/s down and 4.5Mb/s up. I'm using a Moto G4 Plus which does NOT have carrier aggregation btw.

Yes they did. The Moto G4 plus should have 2xca.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avb said:

Yep. Many Nokia / Ericsson and Samsung markets run Config 2 now.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lilotimz said:

Yep. Many Nokia / Ericsson and Samsung markets run Config 2 now.

Could someone explain to me what config 2 means or point me in the right direction to a thread to read up on it please?  Thank you! 

Not sure if it is related but yesterday late afternoon through the evening I had very unreliable data on b41 most of the time not working at all.  

2 hours ago, deankelem said:

Could someone explain to me what config 2 means or point me in the right direction to a thread to read up on it please?  Thank you! 

Not sure if it is related but yesterday late afternoon through the evening I had very unreliable data on b41 most of the time not working at all.  

It is a change in the download to upload timeslot ratio on B41. Config 2 changes max speeds on B41 to 112.5 mbps down and 8.8 mbps up. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

It is a change in the download to upload timeslot ratio on B41. Config 2 changes max speeds on B41 to 108 mbps down and 9 mbps up. 

112.5 / 8.8

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RAvirani said:

It is a change in the download to upload timeslot ratio on B41. Config 2 changes max speeds on B41 to 108 mbps down and 9 mbps up. 

21 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

112.5 / 8.8

Great! thank you both.  I knew Sprint adjusted their timing to cater more towards download speeds in some areas, I did not know what the config 1 and 2 meant.  I appreciate it.  I am assuming that those new down/up speeds are while 2xCA?

1 minute ago, deankelem said:

Great! thank you both.  I knew Sprint adjusted their timing to cater more towards download speeds in some areas, I did not know what the config 1 and 2 meant.  I appreciate it.  I am assuming that those new down/up speeds are while 2xCA?

Single 20 MHz carrier, 2x2 MIMO, 64 QAM. 

• Like 1

Not sure I like the upload speeds on configuration 2 so much. On Clearwire towers, before the configuration change, it wasn't uncommon to see 10Mb/s download speeds with 300-500Kb/s uploads. Now those uploads are around 100Kb/s.

Is carrier aggregation coming for uploads?  If so are any current phones able to take advantage of that?