Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Were the speeds faster in the evening? If so, that might be due to a lighter load on the tower you were accessing. Or, you might be accessing a different tower in Palatine. Like for me, not all towers in Aurora are complete. There's another tower about 1.5 miles away from the tower I access, and that one is still on the legacy backhaul. So, odds are, not all towers in a specific "city" are going live on the new backhaul at the same time.

You are correct, although it is hitting the same tower according to netmonitor. Unfortunatly that app only tells me what tower my phone is getting 1xrtt. It is entirely possible I am getting 3g from a diffrent tower.

I do know from other areas in Chicago where the backhaul is complete the speed screams.

Originally Palatine was not supposed to be finished with 3g until fall or so. Obviously because of all the problems they really have sped things up. The backhaul installation may still be installed closer to the original date.

Sent from my EVO LTE

The backhaul installation may still be installed closer to the original date.

This is often the case in places where installs have been accelerated. NV crews can be sped up, but unfortunately, the backhaul takes as long as it takes.

Robert

Getting these speeds consistently at 59 and Ogden, no lte yet

Well, definitely looks like the backhaul is in place there. Maybe LTE testing will kickoff soon, and you'll get to test it. Keep us posted.

Robert - Had one question for you. Last night when I noticed my phone dropping off 3G for switching to the new backhaul... there was not a soul at the site. Is this something that is done remotely?

Well, definitely looks like the backhaul is in place there. Maybe LTE testing will kickoff soon, and you'll get to test it. Keep us posted.

Robert - Had one question for you. Last night when I noticed my phone dropping off 3G for switching to the new backhaul... there was not a soul at the site. Is this something that is done remotely?

Not that I'm aware of. It could be a router problem. If you were on one carrier that was having connection problems to the router, but someone else was on a different carrier at the same site, that could account for the issues.

Robert

So I did some speedtest on my way to the doctor's today. In a distance of about 12 miles E-W and 5 miles to N-W area I had WIDELY varying numbers.

At Rt 53 / Laraway (By Rt 66 Racetrack) got a 3G record for me of 2060 kbps down, 800 kbps up.

Maybe 5 miles east, 1 mile north at I-355/I-80 interchange, 29kbps down, 37 kbps up.

Another 5 miles east, at Rt 45 (La Grange) / I-80 interchange, 960 kbps down, 300 up.

Back 3 miles south, on La Port going west from La Grange, 450 kbps down, 250 up

Then back home in New Lenox...with full bars showing, Speedtest couldn't even connect to find a server. (On Cedar/Laraway)

So here's some tests since I got home. Only went over 2 Mbps once, but overall not bad.

Sent from my JB iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Those are all usable 3G speeds. Viva la Network Vision!

Robert

• Like 1

That would be a very poor decision, Sprint is actively accelerating the NV deployment in Chicago due to these issues. Chicagoland will probably have the best Sprint experience for quite sometime when the upgrade is complete.

So far in Elgin. I've only noticed the cell site at Judson college to have low ping and high speeds. This was when i was driving thru on the weekend. The same one I think QBKing might have briefly connected to LTE and then report on his video.

Otherwise, Elgin towers near the center of the city are still with no updated backhaul

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

That would be a very poor decision' date=' Sprint is actively accelerating the NV deployment in Chicago due to these issues. Chicagoland will probably have the best Sprint experience for quite sometime when the upgrade is complete.[/quote']

We desperately needed the accelerated deployment here in Chicago. I cannot stress how bad I was dropping calls when deployment kicked off. There were times I'd drop calls 5-10x per call standing still. It was atrocious.

We desperately needed the accelerated deployment here in Chicago. I cannot stress how bad I was dropping calls when deployment kicked off. There were times I'd drop calls 5-10x per call standing still. It was atrocious.

I'll confirm this as well. It was getting awful! Things seem to be getting better now though. I live on the NE side of Elgin, work in Schaumburg across from Woodfield. Have an SGSIII so I'll be able to test out LTE once it hits around here. Just activated it last night and had some data issues that needed to be fixed by Sprint. I was on wifi all night last night playing around and then all day at work today, so didn't realize there was a problem with my account until tonight.

I literally just got off the phone with their tech folks and I tested 3G for a little bit and it was noticeably faster than it was when I had my Epic. Not sure if it's the phone, radio, or just simply timing and the network is in fact getting better.

Once I got my issues resolved, I immediately put a custom ROM on it so we'll see how things pan out the next few days. I'll be sure to flip the LTE network every now and then at work to see if it picks anything up. Looks like by default, the mobile network selection is only CDMA, not LTE/CDMA...

Anybody know if any towers are completed by the intersection of US 20 and South McLean Blvd in Elgin? Just convinced a friend and her mom to go with Sprint (iPhone and GSIII). Any towers in Elgin at all going to be done by July 20th?

There is a one man crew at tower CH50XC246. it is 5 minutes to midnight and i just drove past from a party. I know they installed the NV radios last weekend. what might this man be doing?

It looked cool with the cabinets opened and tons of lights blinking. I thought it was Obi-Wan Kenobi disabling the tractor beam.

There is a one man crew at tower CH50XC246. it is 5 minutes to midnight and i just drove past from a party. I know they installed the NV radios last weekend. what might this man be doing?

It looked cool with the cabinets opened and tons of lights blinking. I thought it was Obi-Wan Kenobi disabling the tractor beam.

Its possible that they are doing switch over work at night to minimize the disruption to customers.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Its possible that they are doing switch over work at night to minimize the disruption to customers.

Im not sure exactly what that means. would this insinuate that back haul is connected? are they switching from the legacy radios to the NV radios? Forgive my lack of knowledge.

after seeing the vampire technician working late on my tower i did a test about a hour later. the numbers were horrible. a ping of over 700 and .01/mbps up and .03/mbps up. i dont know what it means but these speeds are not just annoying, they are not functional. i hope he does some more tweaking.

Im not sure exactly what that means. would this insinuate that back haul is connected? are they switching from the legacy radios to the NV radios? Forgive my lack of knowledge.

No. Most likely the switch over from legacy equipment to NV equipment. The switch over does not necessarily include new backhaul at first, especially in Chicago. NV deployment is running pretty far ahead of backhaul. Backhaul seems to take 2-5 weeks after NV deployment on average around Chicago.

Friend of mine showed me some documents were Sprint has submitted request for licences to use microwave backhaul in some rural towns....mine being one if those towns. How reliable is microwave???

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

No. Most likely the switch over from legacy equipment to NV equipment. The switch over does not necessarily include new backhaul at first, especially in Chicago. NV deployment is running pretty far ahead of backhaul. Backhaul seems to take 2-5 weeks after NV deployment on average around Chicago.

Is the average only 2-5 weeks? For my site, the Antenna/RRU/Cabinets went in on 3/8 and went live on NV 3/19. However, I didn't see backhaul come live until 7/11. I know you stated average... but I would think for my site, that would skew the average pretty bad :P