Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

So, I like to check in every once in awhile and ask anyone from the area who might be around here, what's the status of the Sprint network lately? Is it better, worse, same? I get the impression it's stagnant but I could be wrong. 

So, I like to check in every once in awhile and ask anyone from the area who might be around here, what's the status of the Sprint network lately? Is it better, worse, same? I get the impression it's stagnant but I could be wrong.

Usually quiet means good, But as far as I know Chicago already has a ton of sites broadcasting 3xCA and also a bunch of small cells already deployed.
  • Like 1

Usually quiet means good, But as far as I know Chicago already has a ton of sites broadcasting 3xCA and also a bunch of small cells already deployed.

I'm more interested in hearing if the 3G drops that have plagued us are still alive and well or finally have been abolished with some good optimization. 

• Like 1

I'm more interested in hearing if the 3G drops that have plagued us are still alive and well or finally have been abolished with some good optimization.

I bet they are fixed since us in NYC also had the same issues after 2xCA was turned on.

But local user might be better suited to give you a more localized experience.

• Like 1

I assume your talking about the issue a lot of us had a while ago where LTE would stop and you would get forced to EVDO? I haven't had one of those in months.

Sent from my 2PS64

• Like 1

I assume your talking about the issue a lot of us had a while ago where LTE would stop and you would get forced to EVDO? I haven't had one of those in months.

Sent from my 2PS64

Just when you'd walk into buildings and drop off LTE. It was a common issue for as long as I had them. And they never turned B26 up so it never went further than B25 in range and barely further than B41.

• Like 1

Just when you'd walk into buildings and drop off LTE. It was a common issue for as long as I had them. And they never turned B26 up so it never went further than B25 in range and barely further than B41.

What are you talking about? What phone do you have? I never had data problems in chicago.  I was in the basement close to the south side of chicago and still can pull b25 at 10mhz or clearwire b41^2.  I haven't seen b26 for a while now. 

The network is much much better lately although it seems my area still has not been optimized as I see a big variance in signal strength and also frequent changes in towers my phone connects. Lately I have been having an issue where my phone loses the LTE signal and drops to 1x and is never able to reconnect to either 3G or LTE. The only way I fix it is by turning airplane mode on and off on the phone and then it connects to the LTE signal immediately. I don't know if it is a phone issue or a network issue. I hope it is fixed soon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was driving past a tower a mile from my house and almost crashed into a ditch when I glanced over and to my shock, saw someone building a new site on a tower that is currently hosting AT&T and T-Mobile. So it could've only been Verizon or Sprint doing the new addition. I went back later and it looks like Sprint. The 3rd rack down is brand new, and the base station on the raised platform is brand new.

https://i.imgur.com/h04AHak.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KxHoey3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/X0LqHC9.jpg

I've watched this tower for years, and have photos of it going back to 2012 and nobody else was ever on this tower besides T and TMO, so this is not a USCC or Nextel conversion!

• Like 1

I was driving past a tower a mile from my house and almost crashed into a ditch when I glanced over and to my shock, saw someone building a new site on a tower that is currently hosting AT&T and T-Mobile. So it could've only been Verizon or Sprint doing the new addition. I went back later and it looks like Sprint. The 3rd rack down is brand new, and the base station on the raised platform is brand new.

https://i.imgur.com/h04AHak.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KxHoey3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/X0LqHC9.jpg

I've watched this tower for years, and have photos of it going back to 2012 and nobody else was ever on this tower besides T and TMO, so this is not a USCC or Nextel conversion!

Location?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Unsheltered base stations are not really Verizon's thing though.

It depends on area. I've seen them here and there but yeah generally I would agree with you. 

If you see anything though feel free to post here or PM. :)

• Like 1

It depends on area. I've seen them here and there but yeah generally I would agree with you.

If you see anything though feel free to post here or PM. :)

I'll know for sure once the panels go up which could be any time now (maybe by next week). This is awesome news if it really is Sprint. That site would be filling in a black hole of theirs that I've actually complained about alot when I was a sub.
  • Like 1

I'll know for sure once the panels go up which could be any time now (maybe by next week). This is awesome news if it really is Sprint. That site would be filling in a black hole of theirs that I've actually complained about alot when I was a sub.

Trust me. They take those complaints into consideration considering the information we've received and confirmed with regards to what they are doing / plan to do with their network. 

If you see anything else don't be afraid to post or PM.  B)

Unless sprint is using different panels now, then this is not Sprint. They are very large mainly in height. I was thrown off because the base station is in a metal cabinet on a raised platform instead of a hut.

https://i.imgur.com/6dutUjZ.jpg

Doesn't look like Sprint but when I looked at the coverage map they would greatly benefit from being on that tower. There is still a vacant rack on the bottom. Maybe Sprint will move in soon. 

• Like 1

Doesn't look like Sprint but when I looked at the coverage map they would greatly benefit from being on that tower. There is still a vacant rack on the bottom. Maybe Sprint will move in soon.

Yeah Sprint needs to be on that tower more then Verizon, they don't even get LTE over there. Verizon gets 2-3 bars of B13 in that area.

• Like 1

Anyone experiencing no LTE service in the Loop area since last week. It has been going on already for close to a week. Even though I get 4-5 bars with the LTE sign on, I don't have connection to the Internet. I am located right by the Willis Tower.

Edited by WestLoopResident
  • Like 1

Unless sprint is using different panels now, then this is not Sprint. They are very large mainly in height. I was thrown off because the base station is in a metal cabinet on a raised platform instead of a hut.

https://i.imgur.com/6dutUjZ.jpg

That looks like what some of the new Verizon sites around here are using.

• 1 month later...

I'm reporting it here because I'm sure it will get more attention than contacting Sprint directly. For more than 2 months I have noticed a problematic tower in the Chicago Loop area. It is a Band 41 tower  and its Physical Cell ID is 259. Sometimes I get a string signal from this tower but the internet connection is dead. Any way to report this to the real experts?

Thank you,

• Like 1