Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Is anyone else in Lakeview? I've been getting about 2 mb down 3 mb up even when I'm outside on 4G.

Would switching to a Spark enabled phone help at all?

Dude, yes. Yes times a million. Simply put: Chicago has 5 LTE carriers, and you're missing out on the 2 most important ones--big time speed/capacity, and the extended reach network. Also, make sure that phone has carrier aggregation (most phones released this year).

Sent from my iPhone 6s

• Like 3

Yes! The difference would be monumental.

Dude, yes. Yes times a million. Simply put: Chicago has 5 LTE carriers, and you're missing out on the 2 most important ones--big time speed/capacity, and the extended reach network. Also, make sure that phone has carrier aggregation (most phones released this year).

Sent from my iPhone 6s

These two carriers you are talking about, are they specific 4G bands/frequencies that my HTC ONE is missing?  What should I be looking for when I look at a phone's specs in order to ensure it can get these two extra carriers?

These two carriers you are talking about, are they specific 4G bands/frequencies that my HTC ONE is missing? What should I be looking for when I look at a phone's specs in order to ensure it can get these two extra carriers?

Your phone can only receive band 25 LTE. For about 2 years now, Sprint has been selling tri-band LTE devices (three bands). You're missing band 26 (sometimes referred to as 800mhz), and band 41 (sometimes referred to as 2500mhz). Band 26 is for distance and better indoor signal. Band 41 is for high-capacity and high-speed LTE.

In the Chicago market, Sprint is operating 2 band 25 carriers (which you're currently receiving), 1 band 26 LTE carrier, and 2 band 41 carriers. Sprint is also utilizing carrier aggregation which bonds both of those band 41 carriers into one downstream, giving users a huge speed boost. You appear to not upgrade very often, so make sure you at least get a device that offers carrier aggregation.

You mentioned you're using the HTC one, and from what I've read here, and other places, the new m9 is no good, so proceed with caution on that one if you plan on sticking with HTC. There are plenty of threads both here, and elsewhere about which Sprint devices are good performers. I'm an iPhone guy, so I can't really point you towards the best of the crop right now. Maybe someone else can steer you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone 6s

• Like 3

It seems to me that the best Android device currently available for Sprint customers, is the Samsung Galaxy Note 5. Although if upgrading, I highly recommend either going into a Sprint Radio Shack, or use Sprint's Direct2You service. I don't recommend at all going into a Sprint corporate store to do so, unless you are good friends with someone who works there who could help you, or a close relative who works there willing to work with you.

I've had so many problems dealing with Sprint retail (corporate stores) who've messed up my being on Sprint in a variety of ways this year. I have a good friend who has tried very well on getting me on his plan, but the Sprint stores around here are awful at making this work. My friend doesn't work for Sprint though. If I knew someone who did and willing to help, that would be great and I'd be back on Sprint. Another thing is after trial and error this year, I've learned that most technical problems while on Sprint, are due to the device, not the network.

Also, I definitely don't recommend upgrading at a third party authorized retailer, as that often leads to issues.

It seems to me that the best Android device currently available for Sprint customers, is the Samsung Galaxy Note 5. Although if upgrading, I highly recommend either going into a Sprint Radio Shack, or use Sprint's Direct2You service. I don't recommend at all going into a Sprint corporate store to do so, unless you are good friends with someone who works there who could help you, or a close relative who works there willing to work with you.

I've had so many problems dealing with Sprint retail (corporate stores) who've messed up my being on Sprint in a variety of ways this year. I have a good friend who has tried very well on getting me on his plan, but the Sprint stores around here are awful at making this work. My friend doesn't work for Sprint though. If I knew someone who did and willing to help, that would be great and I'd be back on Sprint. Another thing is after trial and error this year, I've learned that most technical problems while on Sprint, are due to the device, not the network.

Also, I definitely don't recommend upgrading at a third party authorized retailer, as that often leads to issues.

Sprint is kinda like the iPhone network now, these days

Pretty much all their offers are iPhone related, however it's good it's drawing customers

These two carriers you are talking about, are they specific 4G bands/frequencies that my HTC ONE is missing? What should I be looking for when I look at a phone's specs in order to ensure it can get these two extra carriers?

Many great Android phones on Sprint that support all the bands and carrier aggregation that I recommend

Galaxy S6 series

Note 5 (probably one of the best overall)

HTC A9(overpriced but good device)

LG G4 (awesome camera)

Moto X Pure Edition (great phone for a great price, also not sold directly through Sprint)

Nexus 5x (good balanced phone, but not sold through Sprint)

And

Nexus 6P(what I consider the pinnacle of all phones) excellent in every way!

So to consider Sprint the iPhone carrier is hyperbole. Sprint supports all the great Android phones including the awesome N6P(I'm a super happy customer)

You have plenty of full featured Android phones to choose from, (there are more than my list, but these are my personal favorites) good luck making your choice.

• Like 3

Your phone can only receive band 25 LTE. For about 2 years now, Sprint has been selling tri-band LTE devices (three bands). You're missing band 26 (sometimes referred to as 800mhz), and band 41 (sometimes referred to as 2500mhz). Band 26 is for distance and better indoor signal. Band 41 is for high-capacity and high-speed LTE.

In the Chicago market, Sprint is operating 2 band 25 carriers (which you're currently receiving), 1 band 26 LTE carrier, and 2 band 41 carriers. Sprint is also utilizing carrier aggregation which bonds both of those band 41 carriers into one downstream, giving users a huge speed boost. You appear to not upgrade very often, so make sure you at least get a device that offers carrier aggregation.

You mentioned you're using the HTC one, and from what I've read here, and other places, the new m9 is no good, so proceed with caution on that one if you plan on sticking with HTC. There are plenty of threads both here, and elsewhere about which Sprint devices are good performers. I'm an iPhone guy, so I can't really point you towards the best of the crop right now. Maybe someone else can steer you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone 6s

Thank you.  You are super helpful, I really appreciate it!

Does Sprint also operate a band 2 LTE?  The wikipedia list of LTE networks has the bands you mentioned but also has Sprint on Band 2. 

Also is there anywhere that I can see how many carriers Sprint is operating on in each band in specific metro areas? 

Thank you.  You are super helpful, I really appreciate it!

Does Sprint also operate a band 2 LTE?  The wikipedia list of LTE networks has the bands you mentioned but also has Sprint on Band 2. 

Also is there anywhere that I can see how many carriers Sprint is operating on in each band in specific metro areas? 

I think your misunderstanding what "carriers" means in this case. Carriers as Vince mentions has nothing to do with companies (mobile carriers) involved but rather the technology behind capacity of the Sprint network.

Here is a quick explanation of carrier aggregation..

http://www.3gpp.org/technologies/keywords-acronyms/101-carrier-aggregation-explained (I know its a lot to take in)

Bottom line, as Vince mentioned, Sprint has a TON! of capacity that your device cannot access. 

I think your misunderstanding what "carriers" means in this case. Carriers as Vince mentions has nothing to do with companies (mobile carriers) involved but rather the technology behind capacity of the Sprint network.

Here is a quick explanation of carrier aggregation..

http://www.3gpp.org/technologies/keywords-acronyms/101-carrier-aggregation-explained (I know its a lot to take in)

Bottom line, as Vince mentioned, Sprint has a TON! of capacity that your device cannot access. 

So if I am understanding right, there can be phones that work on all three bands but do not have carrier aggregation and thus can't get as fast of speed as a phone that works on all three bands and utilized carrier aggregation as well?

Is there a list of Sprint phones that have CA?

Edited by SeriesOfTubes

So if I am understanding right, there can be phones that work on all three bands but do not have carrier aggregation and thus can't get as fast of speed as a phone that works on all three bands and utilized carrier aggregation as well?

Is there a list of Sprint phones that have CA?

Correct, every phone I recommended support all bands and CA(carrier aggregation)

Pretty much every device released this year support all bands and CA.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/chicago-il/2015/2H

Fascinating to see that since the last quarter, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile have all added LTE bandwidth and they all still remain in the same places.

Sprint upload speed again is the one thing that is keeping them from second place, I can't wait to see how the tests go next year. The adding of another 5x5 in the uscc acquired spectrum. Then the 2x ca capable upload on new phones. Only getting better day by day :D

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/chicago-il/2015/2H

Fascinating to see that since the last quarter, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile have all added LTE bandwidth and they all still remain in the same places.

Sprint upload speed again is the one thing that is keeping them from second place, I can't wait to see how the tests go next year. The adding of another 5x5 in the uscc acquired spectrum. Then the 2x ca capable upload on new phones. Only getting better day by day :D

Yes, it's definitely interesting that the results were almost exactly the same in 1H2015 and 2H2015.

Also interesting: Sprint's download went from 13 to 22.  Everyone else, it seemed like their download speed decreased or stayed the same, and their upload increased.  For example, Verizon's download speed decreased from 27 to 25, and their upload went from 16 to 22.

I think it's easier to say that Sprint improved the most even though the numbers say otherwise.  This of course has to do with how Rootmetrics gives little to no preference for download speed over upload speed.

Favorite part was how competitive Chicago was.  I mean, is there any market more competitive in that a 'city dweller' could easily hop from network to network and still have an awesome experience?

• Like 2

I agree with your statement on upload speeds holding them back. Sprint is in a difficult position there until upload CA is implemented and/or they change their TDD ratios for B41 (unsure of the technical term).

The other carriers have the advantage, with respect to UL, of having the same amount of spectrum deployed for upload as they do for download since they use bigger channels of FDD for LTE.

Sprint's 10x10 PCS deployment will help with this, but generally they will eventually need to bust out higher UL speeds on B41 to get on par with the other carriers in that respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with your statement on upload speeds holding them back. Sprint is in a difficult position there until upload CA is implemented and/or they change their TDD ratios for B41 (unsure of the technical term).

The other carriers have the advantage, with respect to UL, of having the same amount of spectrum deployed for upload as they do for download since they use bigger channels of FDD for LTE.

Sprint's 10x10 PCS deployment will help with this, but generally they will eventually need to bust out higher UL speeds on B41 to get on par with the other carriers in that respect.

. . . Or, RootMetrics will need to change their DL/UL ratio weighting to account for TDD.  The even FDD DL/UL ratio is actually a disadvantage for most LTE applications, as the UL channel is seriously underutilized in congested situations, as is evidenced by many of the recent TMo speedtests that have been posted in other threads.  Sprint's uneven DL/UL ratio on Band 41 provides far more efficient use of spectrum, especially when users are streaming (streaming downloads vastly more data than it will ever upload).  It is RootMetrics reporting which needs to change, not Sprint's use of spectrum.

• Like 9

Sprint's uneven DL/UL ratio on Band 41 provides far more efficient use of spectrum, especially when users are streaming (streaming downloads vastly more data than it will ever upload).  It is RootMetrics reporting which needs to change, not Sprint's use of spectrum.

But, but, but live experiential streaming is here.  Periscope uploads are the future!

Yeah, well, Millenials, you can stick that Periscope up your ass and call it a preventive colonoscopy.

AJ

• Like 2

But, but, but live experiential streaming is here. Periscope uploads are the future!

Yeah, well, Millenials, you can stick that Periscope up your ass and call it a preventive colonoscopy.

AJ

If I don't Periscope myself walking into the gym, nobody will know I was there.

Sent from my iPhone 6s

• Like 4

Millenial constant need to check in and announce whereabouts on social media practically screams, "Rob my place while you know I am not at home."

AJ

• Like 2

This also reminds me of the quote, something to the effect of "The new iPhone looks just like the old iPhone.  So, how will people know I've upgraded?"

AJ

Millenial constant need to check in and announce whereabouts on social media practically screams, "Rob my place while you know I am not at home."

AJ

Screw putting tracking chips in people just program the people to check in all the time at their own will! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm in Nebraska but I posted this question in the sponsors forum for NE and someone said they thought they remembered someone complaining about this issue here, anyone having this problem?

Anyone else been having this issue lately? For about the past 2 weeks my iPhone 6s Plus will be connected to b41, then randomly it completely drops the LTE connection (Just shows sprint in the top left, no LTE, no 3G), then it connects back to b25, but no data will flow. If I open Ping and try to ping, the network spinner will spin, but I have no traffic flowing. I have to toggle airplane mode, then things are fine for awhile until it happens again. I've submitted network tickets with the sprint zone, and also confirmed other people in my office on sprint are having similar issues so I don't think it's just my phone. Anyone know of anything happening in Lincoln that could be causing this? For weeks and weeks b41 was rock solid stable, now it's not. =/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think our consesis was we were having issues with the second carrier on band 41. It started suddenly. I have personally noticed my phone connecting much less to the second carrier recently and the problem has almost entirely gone away. It did not affect evdo or other bands for me.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk