thesickness069

Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

I just want to start a topic just for the Chicago land area deployment. If anyone has any updates on this please post below. I've been having some major issues lately with dropped calls, missing and late texts, and very slow data speeds. I know that it isn't my phone since both my personal and work phones are Sprint and they both have been having similar issues as of late.

Thanks everyone!!

I don't know if Lincolnshire is done, but I was there visiting for 2 days near Half Day Road and Milwaukee Ave. I was reaching speeds in the 1.25MBs - 2Mbs range consistently. It was a really nice change of pace considering in my city 3 hours away I am lucky if I can hit 80kbs consistently.

I just want to start a topic just for the Chicago land area deployment. If anyone has any updates on this please post below. I've been having some major issues lately with dropped calls, missing and late texts, and very slow data speeds. I know that it isn't my phone since both my personal and work phones are Sprint and they both have been having similar issues as of late.

Thanks everyone!!

The dropped calls are likely due to the Network Vision upgrades in Chicago. Apparently, there are a few markets that will experience dropped calls as the towers are upgraded, one being Chicago. The following article may be of interest to you: http://s4gru.com/ind...the-windy-city/

• Like 1

I'm here too. I live in the far S-SW suburbs (New Lenox, just SE of Joliet). All of April and into May it was horrible with constant dropped calls, horrible data etc etc. It has much improved in the last few weeks and my data speeds seem to have improved a fair bit in 3G and 4G on my Epic 4G (S1) phone. Occasionally still some signal issue's, but nothing like the dropped calls of last month.

• Like 2

I was visiting last weekend, up mainly in Streeterville and other parts of near north. I sure hope NV wasn't live yet there, because I wasn't that pleased with speeds. I didn't run speed tests, but I was using my phone heavily throughout the weekend for various tasks (directions, finding reviews, researching answers for bar arguments :) ) . It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk 2

Edited by bkrodgers

I was visiting last weekend, up mainly in Streeterville and other parts of near north. I sure hope NV wasn't live yet there, because I wasn't that pleased with speeds. I didn't run speed tests, but I was using my phone heavily throughout the weekend for various tasks (directions, finding reviews, researching answers for bar arguments :) ) . It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk 2

You were not experiencing NV. As is documented elsewhere on this site, the Chicago metro NV deployment started in the far outer suburbs and is working its way inwards; it probably won't reach the center of the city until late summer or fall.

Edited by JPSmith

I'm in joliet and when i woke up today my 3g speed is banging!!! The lowest i got so far was 1.4 megs down and .90 up!I've been streaming slingbox all morning with no problems. I install for DirecTV and every town i been to today the 3g was banging!

• Like 4

I'm in joliet and when i woke up today my 3g speed is banging!!! The lowest i got so far was 1.4 megs down and .90 up!I've been streaming slingbox all morning with no problems. I install for DirecTV and every town i been to today the 3g was banging!

Bang bang madafacka

• Like 4

I work right next to a Sprint tower and I check everyday to see if people are working on it. I wonder how long it takes for them to upgrade a tower to NV.

The minute they turn on the LTE network I will be dropping USCC and getting in on some sweet Sprint LTE action. Can't wait!

• Like 2

I've noticed a huge 3G speed difference between the suburbs and far west suburbs. For example, I work in Carol Stream, 3G speeds are fantastic, and the towers by me are NV completed according to the map. I live in DeKalb, 3G speeds are mediocre at best. The entire town is NV completed according to the map. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it possible they just haven't updated the fiber lines to the cabinets? I know its not over capacity, DeKalb is a college town, but its summer.... Just hoping out loud that it doesn't stay this way.... :unsure:

I've noticed a huge 3G speed difference between the suburbs and far west suburbs. For example' date=' I work in Carol Stream, 3G speeds are fantastic, and the towers by me are NV completed according to the map. I live in DeKalb, 3G speeds are mediocre at best. The entire town is NV completed according to the map. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it possible they just haven't updated the fiber lines to the cabinets? I know its not over capacity, DeKalb is a college town, but its summer.... Just hoping out loud that it doesn't stay this way.... :unsure:[/quote']

Not all live sites in Chicago have upgraded backhaul yet. They would likely have bypassed the sites that weren't ready in normal circumstances. But since they are having the dropped connections problem between legacy Motorola sites and new Samsung NV sites, they are expediting Chicago ASAP and coming back and hooking up backhaul later.

I just received a NV Completed Sites update and there were 50 sites completed in Chicago last week. 50!!! So backhaul is now a lower priority in Chicago. They will be coming back and connecting them as the backhaul vendor is ready at each site.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Not all live sites in Chicago have upgraded backhaul yet. They would likely have bypassed the sites that weren't ready in normal circumstances. But since they are having the dropped connections problem between legacy Motorola sites and new Samsung NV sites, they are expediting Chicago ASAP and coming back and hooking up backhaul later.

I just received a NV Completed Sites update and there were 50 sites completed in Chicago last week. 50!!! So backhaul is now a lower priority in Chicago. They will be coming back and connecting them as the backhaul vendor is ready at each site.

They are FLYING through Chicago, I'm very very impressed with the speed in which they are doing these NV installations.

Also, if the backhauling comment is true, I won't have LTE out in DeKalb where I live until after LTE is live in Chicago and backhauling is completed... :angry:

They are FLYING through Chicago' date=' I'm very very impressed with the speed in which they are doing these NV installations.

Also, if the backhauling comment is true, I won't have LTE out in DeKalb where I live until after LTE is live in Chicago and backhauling is completed... :angry:[/quote']

I wouldn't make any assumptions about the Chicago market. They are having to rethink everything there.

I wouldn't make any assumptions about the Chicago market. They are having to rethink everything there.

Rethink? How so? Could you provide any further insight?

Well, Maybe they can come on down and star Phoenix while they are figuring Chicago out. ;)

• Like 4

Rethink? How so? Could you provide any further insight?

Because of this: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-166-sprint-battling-network-vision-deployment-woes-in-the-windy-city/

They are having to speed up NV deployment in Chicago and doing NV upgrades in advance of backhaul being ready.

• Like 3

Because of this: http://s4gru.com/ind...the-windy-city/

They are having to speed up NV deployment in Chicago and doing NV upgrades in advance of backhaul being ready.

I missed that before. Thank you - that article is extremely insightful... and unfortunately quite discouraging.

• Like 1

Because of this: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-166-sprint-battling-network-vision-deployment-woes-in-the-windy-city/

Ahhh... Now there's some meat behind why they removed the 800SMR scans in all the PRLs.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I missed that before. Thank you - that article is extremely insightful... and unfortunately quite discouraging.

I don't know if I would be discouraged. Sprint is expediting the market now and has nearly doubled the completion rate. I think that is a very good thing.

• Like 2

Because of this: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-166-sprint-battling-network-vision-deployment-woes-in-the-windy-city/ They are having to speed up NV deployment in Chicago and doing NV upgrades in advance of backhaul being ready. Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

They're losing customers in this market left and right because of that. Financially it makes sense do hold off on backhauling. I guess my comments are just my verbal form of frustration.

Not that discouraging, Sprint recognized that they had a problem.....and they sped up NV deployment to take care of the problem. Great move on their part IMO.

They're losing customers in this market left and right because of that. Financially it makes sense do hold off on backhauling. I guess my comments are just my verbal form of frustration.

I don't think Robert meant to imply that they were holding off on backhaul updates. What he was saying was that Sprint isn't waiting for backhaul to be ready before they turn on NV for a site. The original plan was to put NV equipment in place but not enable everything for that site until the backhaul was ready.

Instead, they are putting in the NV equipment and connecting it to the legacy backhaul until the new backhaul is ready. Then they will got back and switch that tower to the new backhaul when it's available.

• Like 3

I don't think Robert meant to imply that they were holding off on backhaul updates. What he was saying was that Sprint isn't waiting for backhaul to be ready before they turn on NV for a site. The original plan was to put NV equipment in place but not enable everything for that site until the backhaul was ready.

Instead' date=' they are putting in the NV equipment and connecting it to the legacy backhaul until the new backhaul is ready. Then they will got back and switch that tower to the new backhaul when it's available.[/quote']

Yes indeed. Thanks for clarifying

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

I'm encouraged to see that they can upgrade towers that fast when issues arise and they have to do it. So at least we know that Sprint could build out NV faster if they had to. Let's just hope that backhaul is ready soon for all you Chicagoland people.

After reading this thread... a lot of things are making sense now. The dropping calls were TERRIBLE from February (when they kicked off NV upgrades here) till about the middle of May. Lately though, I've noticed that call quality is MUCH better, but wondered why data was still slow. Makes sense that they put the NV equipment live before the backhaul. On a different note, I speedtested 3G last night at my home, and it hit 1.2Mbps.... I was like :D

• Like 1